Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labeling Parts in Revit Architecture 2012

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
persi31
2521 Views, 10 Replies

Labeling Parts in Revit Architecture 2012

I wanted to know how people are labeling or taging the "parts" of their construction, like walls.  I want to be able to tag the parts so that a description of the part is pulled from the material so a change to the material affects all lables and tags.

The 2 problems I am running into

1. in a 3D mode I cannot use a materials tag, and so have to rely on a Tag by Category, which limits me to the material name.  I want to be able to refer to any of the properties in the material identity tag.

2. In a section or plan view, I can use a material tag, so I can refer to Description, Comments Keywords, etc, but the tags keep going blank and need to be "reloaded" anytime I change anything in the view.  If I change the crop boundary, change from Show Parts to Show Original and return to Show Parts, change scale, anything; the tags return to ?.  I have to select each  tag and then click off of them for the parameters to be displayed; I feel like I am back in ADT with refresh and reload all.

Anyone else running into this or guess at a cause.

Thanks

Chris

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
alan.quinn
in reply to: persi31

Part 2: I cannot re-produce what happens in your file. I tested adding the material tag, cropping, re-sizing the crop, create parts, create assemblies, create views and all the while I’m able to tag with the original numbering I used. Can you tell me what steps you are taking?

Part 1: In 3D you can tag parts, but you need to create a tag. I just tested and if you create a generic tag, change it to Part Tag, add material and load in to your project it will work.

Thanks

Message 3 of 11
persi31
in reply to: alan.quinn

Part 1:  I have gotten this to work, but I would rather not use the name of the material to label the components.  It would be more flexible if I could use the material description or the comments.

Part 2:    I am splitting the wall, then simply going to Annotate > Material Tag, then clicking on the individual parts of the wall.  I then edit the tag.  The labels appear fine.  As soon as I change the extent of the crop region all the text reverts to ?.  If I select the tags, and click off of them, the text comes back.

Message 4 of 11
alan.quinn

Part 1:  I have gotten this to work, but I would rather not use the name of the material to label the components.  It would be more flexible if I could use the material description or the comments.

Answer: Edit your tag and add the label comment.

Part 2:    I am splitting the wall, then simply going to Annotate > Material Tag, then clicking on the individual parts of the wall.  I then edit the tag.  The labels appear fine.  As soon as I change the extent of the crop region all the text reverts to ?.  If I select the tags, and click off of them, the text comes back.

Answer: I cannot re-produce the issue. What steps are you taking?

I have attached my test file for reference.

Thank you

Message 5 of 11
persi31

In the 3D view that you are showing, the first part of the tag is pulling from the name of the material.  I would like to be able to pull from Identity tab of the material and use either the Description or Commentrs under DEscirptive Information in the material's editor.  In order to do this, I could use a Materials tag (found by default at C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RAC 2012\Libraries\US Imperial\Annotations\Architectural\Material Tag.rfa) but the materials tags are not allowed in 3d views. 

The main reason I don not want to use the parts tag, is the parts tag is really only allowing instance parameters, but the materials tags allow type parameters based on the material.

I've re-attached the file you posted, but it should be showing a section detail with 3 of the parts labeled with the materials tag, from above.  The materials tag is using the Material Description for the text.

The problem I am having is that whenever I change the text, or adjust the crop region, or change the scale, all the text disappears and all I see are question marks.  If I click on one of the tags, then click off the tag the text reappers; almost like I need to reload the text in the tag.  Capture1.jpg shows the questions marks.  If I select the tags, then click elsewhere on the screen or press Esc the text returns (Capture2.jpg)

If you are not seeing this on your computer, any thoughts as to what settings on my computer could be causing this?  I have no errors in the graphics part of the options dialogue, and have had the problem with hardware acceleration on and off.

Message 6 of 11
alan.quinn

It would appear that you found an issue. I will log this case with development at detail sections should not behave like that. In the mean time I discovered if you window all, and filter by the tags, and click anywhere the text will re-appear for all. Little easier than doing one at a time, but still and issue. Or, steer clear of detail sections for now and use building sections as they seem to work correctly.

I’ll update this forum post when I hear back from development.

SPR # 207651

Thank you,

Message 7 of 11
persi31

Thanks.  Not to get greedy, but can you check with them about getting the materials tags to work in 3d.  Just looking to reference the same information in all the views.

Message 8 of 11
alan.quinn

Yes, I'll check on that.....

Message 9 of 11
selsheikh

Did you find a fix for the material tag issue reverting to question mark? I am using Revit 2012

thanks

Message 10 of 11
alan.quinn
in reply to: selsheikh

That's a wish list item that development is aware of. Perhaps in a future release this will be possible. Thank you

Message 11 of 11
selsheikh
in reply to: selsheikh

Was this fixed in Revit 13? Sam Elsheikh, AIA, NCARB, LEEDAP MIS, MBA, MCSM Senior Principal O H L S O N L A V O I E C O L L A B O R A T I V E6068 S Apopka Vineland RD| Suite 5 Orlando, Florida | 32819 T: 407.992.0470 F: 407.992.0474 M: 303.886.4082 selsheikh@olcdesigns.com Architecture | Aquatics | Interiors | Technology C L I E N T - C E N T E R E D C R E A T I V I T Y

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report