Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keynote number shows up and not the keynote text

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Sandra.Massa
8142 Views, 6 Replies

Keynote number shows up and not the keynote text

Hi,

Thanks in advance for any tips with keynotes. First of all I have noticed that there are (2) keynote areas in my wall type object properties dialogue box and the only one that works when I go to tag it with a keynote is the number keynote.   How do I get the text keynote to work within the wall type object properties? Please note I am trying out creating keynotes within objects rather than having them point to a text editor.

Thanks,

bluicat

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cbcarch
in reply to: Sandra.Massa

Keynotes can be set to display "Number-Boxed" or "Text" as I recall.

There is a difference in Keynotes and Tags.

If you use a Keynote, is is controlled by the Keynote Text File, which uses delimited text and is edited in NotePad or other text editor programs. Use a Keynote Legend on your Sheets to give a List of Keynotes either per Project or by Sheet.

If you use Tags, you can Tag by Category, Material, or User-defined Tag.

Try experimenting with both, and you'll see the differences and where they can be used to your advantage.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 7
Sandra.Massa
in reply to: cbcarch

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

Please note that I am not using the category tags and am only using the keynote tags and the only one that works is the number keynote tag where I type in the text directly into the wall object properties dialogue box; therefore, the note is not pointing anywhere and is simply residing in the walls object properties dialogue box in my boiler template. 

All I was wondering is if there was a way to also use the text part of the keynote in the object properties dialogue box since there are (2) places to type in keynotes without having the notes point elsewhere.  My guess is that the keynote text part must have to point somewhere else in order to be used?

Thougts were that I could type notes in my wall styles of my boiler template and always have the notes reside within the object properties of walls roofs etc..., without worrying about the relative paths in the keynote settings.

Thanks,

Sandra

Message 4 of 7
cbcarch

I think you are not quite understanding how Keynotes work.

There are overall Settings for Keynotes which provide a path to the Keynote text file.

Using Keynotes is helpful when you need to use "smart annotations" for labeling Materials, say in a Wall Section.

Use Keynote-Material. 

Each Material used in the compound wall structure can have its own Keynote value assigned to it.

Then when you bring in a Keynote by Material annotation, it will fill in automatically.

If you change the Material or their Keynote values, the Keynote tags will update automatically.

If you highlight the entire wall, and click Edit Type, there is a Keynote value--but this is for the whole wall type,

not the individual materials contained in the wall assembly.

See the attached images.

Hope this helps.

Cliff B. Collins
Message 5 of 7
Sandra.Massa

Hi again,

Thank you.

Yes I do understand how keynotes work. In fact I am using keynote manager and have a fear of losing notes in the event of  restructuring file folders.  I know that I can set the path to relative and so on and again thougts were to NOT have the keynote point to an outside text editor for my standard walls roofs and so on, when I can directly type them in in the object properties of my boiler template.  I've have typed in keynotes directly into the object properties of walls and tested out what happens if I go to keynotes and tell it to point to masterformat for example and the notes in the wall object properties is not affected. Autodesk says that these notes cannot reside in a project, yet if I can type them directly into by boiler template object properties of walls and then those notes will always be there when I start a new project and I won't have to make a copy into the client's folder.

Do you understand what it is I am trying to do?   It's an unconventional way of looking at keynotes. That's all.

I will still use the keynote manger and just wanted some typical notes to RESIDE in my BOiler tiemplate.

I will always have a copy of the text note in the client's folder so I don't overwrite older projects when we update notes in the master.

Thanks,

Sandra

Message 6 of 7
cbcarch

Sorry--I do not understand what you are trying to do. ( and from what I can read between the line, I'm not sure it's possible? )

Why do you NOT want to have Keynotes reference  the Keynote Text File? This is how it is designed to work.

I don't think Keynotes can be generated/linked to an "internal" file inside the .rvt file.....................

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Message 7 of 7
Sandra.Massa
in reply to: cbcarch

Hi again,

The attached picture will show that a keynote can  in fact be typed directly into the wall object properties and it is not referencing any outside text editor.  I can even go and set the keynote settings to a path and the keynote that is typed directly into the objects stays put.  The only keynote type that I can extract is the number keynote and not the text keynote.

The reason I wanted some of the notes to be in the object properties is so that they stay in the project and do not rely on external referencing. 

Since doing keynotes this way is atypical and it does not allow me to fully extrapolate the other keynote types, I will go back to using the keynote manager and will be very careful if I ever need to move folders into new directories.  Again the fear is not so much losing the text notes since they will always be copied and pointed to the client's folder, it's if I ever move the folder to a new directory and need to repoint the keynotes.  I just do not want to have to repoint or relabel older drawings that may re-imerge if a client comes back to do more work.

Thanks again for your help,

Kindly,

bluicat

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report