Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining a Continuous Footing to a spot Footing

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
marc5
2071 Views, 15 Replies

Joining a Continuous Footing to a spot Footing

I have placed spot footings under CMU piers by using the "Isolated Foundation" and I have added a continuous footing using the  "slab foundation" between the isolated footings. I would like to joint the spot footings to the continuous footing. I have tried the "Join" command with no luck.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Marc

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
conormccartney3897
in reply to: marc5

Confirm elevation of the two footings are close to each other, by which i mean they actually intersect each other. If one is deeper than the other, you will still see lines after joining.
Message 3 of 16
marc5

The spot footing and the continous footing elevations are the same. FYI...when I use the "join geometry" command I can select the first solid geometry to be joind but I seem not to be able to select the second.

Is there a way I can send just the portion of the drawing I need help with? In AUTOCAD I can wblock out a certain item(s), can this be done in REVIT?

Thanks,

Marc

Message 4 of 16
conormccartney3897

hrmm that is strange, not being able to select the second object means either they are already joined, or the two elements are not of the same type (which I don't believe to be the case). You can copy/paste to a blank model, be sure to grab the objects the footings are connected to.
Message 5 of 16
cbcarch

Yes-- copy the footings to clipboard, start new revit project in same session of revir, then paste into new project.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 6 of 16
marc5
in reply to: cbcarch

Please see attached.

Message 7 of 16
cbcarch

I was able to copy the footings, separate them, edit sketch, and then they joined.

Cliff B. Collins
Message 8 of 16
marc5

Then I must be clicking function(s) in the wrong order.....This is only my 7th day on REVIT. I see where yours are joined. Any advise?
Message 9 of 16
cbcarch

Highlight the long/continuous footing, the edit sketch. Pull the purple line away from the isolated footing, then use Align command to align it.

Finish sketch, and then the footings should join.

Cliff B. Collins
Message 10 of 16
marc5

Tried what you said, still no luck. However, I noticed, when I do what you said the purple line is at floor level not down at spread footing level. See attached screen shot. Could this be why I cannot join footings?

Message 11 of 16
cbcarch

I had to copy the original footings, and then edit the sketch. It would not work on the original ones.

See the .rvt file I posted.

Cliff B. Collins
Message 12 of 16
marc5

Still no luck when I copy. But I can join the two continuous footings together, I just cannot joint to the spot footing.

Message 13 of 16
cbcarch

It works in the file I posted.

See screenshot.

Cliff B. Collins
Message 14 of 16
marc5

I see and agree, but for some reason I cannot get it to join. Will keep trying. Thanks for all your help. I did learn a few things from you. Have a great day.

Marc

Message 15 of 16
VWD-MLM

I usually check that the Materials for them are the same.literally..........I've had issues in the past with dis-similar materials for ftgs/slabs no cleaning/joining correctly.

Mike

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
BDSU 2015, 2016
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
Message 16 of 16
cbcarch

Yes--correct.

The concrete material is exactly the same in both footings.

Cliff B. Collins

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report