Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this form/ surface possible to create in Revit?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
kostman
437 Views, 7 Replies

Is this form/ surface possible to create in Revit?

Hello everyone!

I've been trying to create this form (picture attached) in a conceptual mass family for a few days now, but not been successfull yet. I'm starting to wonder if it is possible to do in Revit at all. I'm new to creating free form shapes and don't know what the possibilities really are.

So far I have tried making a row of plines and created a surface with points that I can stretch to different directions. But the base of the cones don't become round but irregular in shape.

Is there another way to go around with this? I really would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Kristina

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
freestuffmahn
in reply to: kostman

Of course you can, did ever tried the Revolve tool ?

revolvetool.jpg

Message 3 of 8
kostman
in reply to: freestuffmahn

Thanks for the quick reply! The slab is an extrusion I suppose, but can it be uneven? Have "waves"?

I edited my sketch, see the attachment.

Message 4 of 8
freestuffmahn
in reply to: kostman

there is two ways you can create a random surface:

1. you create a roof and then you add points and you specify heights (Create Roof>modify>Modify sub elements)
  2. you do it with the Toposurface tool. (Massing & site>Toposurface)  
  3. Do it the easy way with polygon editing and smoothing in 3Ds max

Why do you need such a form ? seems like a student's project.                                   

Message 5 of 8
kostman
in reply to: freestuffmahn

I've used roofs and toposurface before, adding points. But like you say, it results in a surface consisting of several polygons. Guess the answer to my question is no then, the smoothing has to be done in a different program.

The form is a simplified version of something my boss came up with. I will not tell him about your comment 😄

Thanks!

Message 6 of 8

the better way is to use Conceptual Mass. This allows riplled surfaces....

I've attached a rough screencast showing this.

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/2b881318-67c8-4e80-ae5d-e0e3aae599dd

In order to a good  understanding  of Conceptual Mass applications I recomand you  to have a look at Alfredo Medina 's blog

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 7 of 8

Thanks dude, awsome tutorial,

I used to do things like that the "piece by piece" way and it was pretty time consuming.

Message 8 of 8

Thank you very much, Constantin! The screencast was very helpful 🙂 I will check the blog also.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report