Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to track what users are doing in Revit?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Jason_S
3364 Views, 5 Replies

Is there a way to track what users are doing in Revit?

I had a request to track what users are doing in Revit.  Meaning, who moved, deleted, copied and some other tasks.  Can this be done in Revit?

I have a lot of finger pointing going on and need something to track these types of changes.

Thanks for the help.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
loboarch
in reply to: Jason_S

The journal files in Revit captures everything you do during a Revit session.  The journal file locations are documented here:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2012/Help/Revit_User's_Guide/0066-Start_a_66/0132-Saving_R132...

The difficulty with journals is the fact they are not exactly "human readable".  You can open them with a text editor and if you know what you are looking for you can find specific actions but it might be difficult.  Not sure if it is going to be super helpful in the situation.  Your time might be better spent in a conference room for an hour with the "finger pointers" in a session to work out the problems and open communication. 

Or you can spend hours looking at journals to find out "what happened".

Journals are good for finding errors in the software but not so great for developing a case against a "finger pointer".

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 3 of 6
bward
in reply to: loboarch

Is there a way to track total time spent on a model? This would be tremendously helpful to get real time feedback on actual hours spent on a model. Ofcourse it is not fool proof as someone could just leave the model open for days or over the weekend, but it is more reliable than billing numbers to track time on the model.

Message 4 of 6
loboarch
in reply to: bward

You can't do this directly. Time stamps in the journal files could be used for this but probably more trouble than it is worth. Years ago when I worked in an office I had a little app that ran in the background and captured how much time you spent in each application on a given day. I used that for tracking billable hours a little bit. I can't remember the name of it but I am sure there are tons of apps out there that do this.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 5 of 6
mocito.agostinho
in reply to: loboarch

could it be called Rescue Time?

https://www.rescuetime.com/

Revit 2014
AutoCAD 2014
Message 6 of 6
mocito.agostinho
in reply to: bward

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report