Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to find out the author or maker of a project/ revit file?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
mymy_ngo
10897 Views, 11 Replies

Is there a way to find out the author or maker of a project/ revit file?

Hi, 

Is there a way to find out who the maker or the author is of a revit file/project?

I would like to know this because someone stole my work. He submitted my work and got credits from it.

I want to change this.  😞 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

You can add project information, but that can always be changed. Revit does not feature the Password-based protection that "other" applications have. This is one area we've been "wish listing" for a while - having a password so that Families cannot be extracted, etc.

David William Edwards
Dave Edwards Consulting
Message 3 of 12
BalajiHTI
in reply to: mymy_ngo

Hello,

If it is a Project (*.rvt) File, you can use Show History in Collaborate Tab which will show the Given Revit Username in the Revit Menu Options.

Show File History

Or you can go further advanced and Open the Project file in 7-Zip File Manager. It will show which user created the project in the Computer.

File Owner

But none of this are fail proof methdos. The thief can change his Revit User name and Link your project and bind them.

Best way to safeguard your files, is to use Programs like Safe House and password-protecting your files. Its ready to use and doesn't require installation.

Message 4 of 12
mymy_ngo
in reply to: BalajiHTI

Thxxx! 

Fortunately the person who stole my work hasnt modified of changed anything.

From now on ill safeguard my files, just to be sure. 

Message 5 of 12
nbbjAdmn

In Windows File Explorer, you can identify the creator (owner) of any file:

Right-click on the file > Properties > Security > Advanced.

Message 6 of 12
BalajiHTI
in reply to: nbbjAdmn

That is the user who copied the certain file in the folder. If anyone
copies to another folder or another system, Windows will just show the
username of the Windows; Not the Revit User who created the file.

Balaji Balagurusami
Message 7 of 12
Floroflores

is there any way to change the author name from the show history

Message 8 of 12
BalajiHTI
in reply to: Floroflores

Not possible in my experience.
Message 9 of 12
chrisplyler

I'm pretty sure I could prove I created content just by knowing more about it than the thief.

"Hey, what shared parameter has been added to doors in this file?" Pretty sure only the creator is going to be able to answer something like that without looking.

Plus the thief would have to do a lot of work to edit all my families and resave them with file names that don't have my initials in them, reload them all, then purge out the ones that have my initials on them.

Stupid thief.

Message 10 of 12
BalajiHTI
in reply to: chrisplyler

Nice ending though! 😄
Message 11 of 12
BIMAbhi
in reply to: BalajiHTI

How to know the original owner of the Revit Family File [.rfa] and the date created?

Thanks & Regards
BIMAbhi
Message 12 of 12
BalajiHTI

No idea. But in future I wish to see DRM enabled BIM Objects preserve copyright. Would be a nice addition to use files only as read only or Use only. It should request password to fill in when you try to open and edit the families. It had implications on OpenBIM standards though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report