Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Revit for me?

44 REPLIES 44
Message 1 of 45
Anonymous
595 Views, 44 Replies

Is Revit for me?

Hello,
I'm hoping ya'll can give me an fair and unbiased opinion. Here's the product I'm looking for. We do a lot of residential and some lite commercial. Mainly, I'll be working on residential. Currently, we are doing our 2D documents in AutoCAD. However, I have now been asked to find a product that I can create 3D models in to create our houses that can easily generate perspectives and walk-through's for our client, but at the same time generate construction documents - site, foundation, floor plans, elevations, sections, interior elevations and electrical. It needs to be fast and easy to use/learn. Is Revit too much for my needs? I have been pointed towards Chief Architect, but a couple of those guys said Softplan was better. The whole parametric concept sounds intriguing to me, but are there problems with it? The Softplan guys say that Softplan is practically parametric meaning if I have to change something that affects all sheets, once the models done... it's so easy to recreate the rest of the sheets if something changes. What are ya'll thoughts? Is Revit more for commercial and I'd be better off with a residential program like Softplan? I welcome any feedback. Thank you for your time.
44 REPLIES 44
Message 41 of 45
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, I agree that timespan between releases are pretty short and I know that Adsk will try anything to keep up this high releaserate. [as Greg indicates, there's an extremely high probability that the next release will again coincide with the next AU] About third party development... I don't think I can agree... in my office there's a development department with which I work closely when I'm not teaching, sometimes I do some programming even [though it's not really my job]. I can say that building and developing a software will hardly ever change só much that third party apps will miss the boat on a new release. One of the few reasons could be a fileformat-change but even this is usually quite 'easily' fixed. As an example, Photoshop plugins.. you can still run plugins which were originally conceived for version 2.. on AutoCAD the lisps from r12 would still run for 99,8%... and third party development has helped Acad very much! Some tools have eventually ended up inside Acad, helping the sofware go forward and widening it's market-span [which Revit could use very much! by venturing into other areas Revit could become more commonground] Anyway, to cut things short.. I do think third party development could boost the development of the software as a whole and certainly it would widen its market, without, or with hardly any problems with fast new releases. The only reason I can think of to keep third party development out of their hair for the time being is related to Greg's remark. If the're going to 'push ADT out' and go with Revit - they will have to do so with taking the ADT cliëntéle along to the new Revit.. most likely they would neeed a very close fit for existing ADT files to Revit ~ no idea on how they'd do this [new specific version of Revit in combination with an extinsive translator software maybe?.. I donno] But this would.. could.. bring about changes so big that third party apps would instantly loos all their value. But all this is just speculations!! ;-D let's just keep our eyes'n'ears wide open... grtinx "Scott Davis" schreef in bericht news:4137864c$1_3@newsprd01... > Okay, so that came out a bit wrong. It's not that they cant keep up, just > that its tough to. Revit code is written, and when the developers are > ready, they release it. This is generally when third party companies get a > hold of it to, (they usually get to 'preview' the beta, but can't start true > development til they know its ready!) then they start development. It just > seems like by the time a third party has time to develop, test, and > distribute a plug-in, the next version of Revit is right around the corner. > If these third party developers are selling their plug-ins, not many people > would buy them if the next release of Revit is right around the corner. (no > guarantee they'll work in the new vrsion) Throw in the Point releases, and > the time frame gets even shorter! > > Hope that clears up my train of thought on this subject. > > "v.valentijn" wrote in message > news:4136cf99$1_1@newsprd01... > [btw. have you heard> the news from Scott? API isn't an option because the > Revit development team > > is too fast for the rest of the world to keep up with.. > >
Message 42 of 45
bruntj

How did you do the little return hip? Is it one roof or several joined pieces? I have been searching for the last two or three hours and have not been able to get it to work. I get close but when I extend back of return to wall using "Join Roofs" tool I get an error saying "The roof cannot be joined." The drawing is actually modified and looks right but it will not stick.

Thanks for any help with this.
Message 43 of 45
yulia

Hi Dick,
What 1000 page tutorial are you talking about. I am interested in getting one but can't find it. Please advise on the source and complete name.
Thanks,
Yulia
Message 44 of 45
cynthiadsgn

I would also recommend that you look at a product called VisionREZ. It is built on the ADT platform and they have two versions available. It is primarily for residential but we have found it to handle several lt. commercial projects. Very strong for our residential needs esp. since Framing & Bill of Materials is about to be released. IMHO, I would limit your review to Revit or VisionREZ. Both very good products just depends on which one addresses more of your needs.

Thanks,
Cyn
Message 45 of 45
revitpilipinas

hi., i'm from the philippines and i say why don't you try out the FREE dvd trial cd of revit? it's not too much cause when you sum it all up. the time you save and the hassle free full BIM concept is really worth the jump.

but revit do not archive the kind of rendering that Viz or 3DsMAX can do (for now on version 9.1) maybe on release 10 (2008 version)

you can join in our little group here in the philippines as well.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/revitpilipinas/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report