Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Revit for me?

44 REPLIES 44
Message 1 of 45
Anonymous
627 Views, 44 Replies

Is Revit for me?

Hello,
I'm hoping ya'll can give me an fair and unbiased opinion. Here's the product I'm looking for. We do a lot of residential and some lite commercial. Mainly, I'll be working on residential. Currently, we are doing our 2D documents in AutoCAD. However, I have now been asked to find a product that I can create 3D models in to create our houses that can easily generate perspectives and walk-through's for our client, but at the same time generate construction documents - site, foundation, floor plans, elevations, sections, interior elevations and electrical. It needs to be fast and easy to use/learn. Is Revit too much for my needs? I have been pointed towards Chief Architect, but a couple of those guys said Softplan was better. The whole parametric concept sounds intriguing to me, but are there problems with it? The Softplan guys say that Softplan is practically parametric meaning if I have to change something that affects all sheets, once the models done... it's so easy to recreate the rest of the sheets if something changes. What are ya'll thoughts? Is Revit more for commercial and I'd be better off with a residential program like Softplan? I welcome any feedback. Thank you for your time.
44 REPLIES 44
Message 2 of 45
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Greg: I first used Revit 2-1/2 years ago for a year or so. With the Autodesk purchase I dropped it - know I used the cross upgrade path from ADT to switch to Revit. My work involves multidiscipline work covering a broad range of projects - including some residential. I have been earnestly working with Revit for the last month or so and this time around rather enjoying it. No problem doing fairly intricate residential. There is a learning curve which is not too bad. But the documentation is very scant. If it had not been for the help I received via the AUGI forum I would have given up. I also purchased the 1000 pages of tutorials in book form this also helped immensely. To answer your question I do believe Revit is for you - but be prepared for some tense moments. Plan the switch to Revit over an extended period so you can use Revit on simpler work initially and slowly graduate up to more complex work progressively. Good luck. Dick Barath P.S. You want to go to the AUGI forum it is much much busier than this one. "gregburkett" wrote in message news:32602265.1093642411808.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hello, > I'm hoping ya'll can give me an fair and unbiased opinion. Here's the product I'm looking for. We do a lot of residential and some lite commercial. Mainly, I'll be working on residential. Currently, we are doing our 2D documents in AutoCAD. However, I have now been asked to find a product that I can create 3D models in to create our houses that can easily generate perspectives and walk-through's for our client, but at the same time generate construction documents - site, foundation, floor plans, elevations, sections, interior elevations and electrical. It needs to be fast and easy to use/learn. Is Revit too much for my needs? I have been pointed towards Chief Architect, but a couple of those guys said Softplan was better. The whole parametric concept sounds intriguing to me, but are there problems with it? The Softplan guys say that Softplan is practically parametric meaning if I have to change something that affects all sheets, once the models done... it's so easy to recreate the rest of the sheets if something changes. What are ya'll thoughts? Is Revit more for commercial and I'd be better off with a residential program like Softplan? I welcome any feedback. Thank you for your time.
Message 3 of 45
Anonymous

Dear "gregburkett" , I have used revit only a couple of times and I can say that it is exactly what you need. Of course there are some problems especially regarding compatibility with other products and some poor text editing tools but it is only a matter of 1-2 releases to fix this. I guess AutoDesk must pay more attention to these discussion groups and user wishlists. The problem is that you have to forget AutoCAD. I have been using AutoCAD for 15 years and I see that it is not easy to change the way I think but I find REVIT very easy to start with (there are of course some parts that I dont understand yet). Allthough I haven't seen the software you mentioned I trust AutoDesk so I 'll stick to Revit. Dimitris
Message 4 of 45
Anonymous

From your description I would say Revit is exactly what you are looking for. You can take a look at my response to post "Tryong to encourage boss too..." dated 8/26 for more comments. As for the comparison to Cheif Architect and SoftPlan, I have not used those programs but I kind of think of them as budget titles. If this is your business, how you earn a living, I would not hesitate to get a piece of software that is not going to limit you and get you frustrated. Get software that does what you want and then a little more so you have some "room to grow". Get demos of the software and compare them by drawing a quick 4 wall house with a roof and see which you like better and which seems to address your needs. Jeff Hanson "gregburkett" wrote in message news:32602265.1093642411808.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hello, > I'm hoping ya'll can give me an fair and unbiased opinion. Here's the product I'm looking for. We do a lot of residential and some lite commercial. Mainly, I'll be working on residential. Currently, we are doing our 2D documents in AutoCAD. However, I have now been asked to find a product that I can create 3D models in to create our houses that can easily generate perspectives and walk-through's for our client, but at the same time generate construction documents - site, foundation, floor plans, elevations, sections, interior elevations and electrical. It needs to be fast and easy to use/learn. Is Revit too much for my needs? I have been pointed towards Chief Architect, but a couple of those guys said Softplan was better. The whole parametric concept sounds intriguing to me, but are there problems with it? The Softplan guys say that Softplan is practically parametric meaning if I have to change something that affects all sheets, once the models done... it's so easy to recreate the rest of the sheets if something changes. What are ya'll thoughts? Is Revit more for commercial and I'd be better off with a residential program like Softplan? I welcome any feedback. Thank you for your time.
Message 5 of 45
Anonymous

On the flip side, I've used Revit since the day it was released at version 1.0. Dimitris is right, Revit is exactly what you are looking for. It's an almost perfect fit for residential design, but does extremely well in all other areas of architecture. It's fast, and easy to learn. Everything is modeled in 3D, and with a good template, your const. docs are being produced the minute you draw your first wall. Revit is fully parametric, meaning its bi-directional. Make a change anywhere, and the change will be reflected throughout the project. Need a section? Draw a section line. Done. Softplan is 'practically parametric'? To me 'practically' and 'completely' are worlds apart. I'm not sure about 'problems with compatibility' as Revit reads and writes DWG, DXF, and DGN files. Maybe Dimitris wants a 3DS output. As far as the Revit Development team following these NG's, they do. They use this NG and the forums at AUGI as a main source for wishlist and product development. Revit is perfect for want you want. Download the 60 day demo, and try it! SD "JTB" wrote in message news:41303b37$1_2@newsprd01... > Dear "gregburkett" , > > I have used revit only a couple of times and I can say that it is exactly > what you need. Of course there are some problems especially regarding > compatibility with other products and some poor text editing tools but it is > only a matter of 1-2 releases to fix this. I guess AutoDesk must pay more > attention to these discussion groups and user wishlists. > The problem is that you have to forget AutoCAD. I have been using AutoCAD > for 15 years and I see that it is not easy to change the way I think but I > find REVIT very easy to start with (there are of course some parts that I > dont understand yet). > > Allthough I haven't seen the software you mentioned I trust AutoDesk so I > 'll stick to Revit. > > Dimitris > >
Message 6 of 45
Anonymous

Wow, thanks for the quick responses.

I’ve used Desktop in the past and it’s really not what I’m looking for. It’s really not residential friendly imho. That’s why I was kind of skeptic about Revit. It seems like it might be more than I need and might be better for commercial people.

Anyway, what’s the learning curve? I know, that’s probably hard to say, but just give it your best guess. I do very well with learning new programs. I’ve used Microstation, AutoCAD 14 to 2005, desktop 1 to 3i, Vectorworks, Accurender, IntelliCAD and now I’m looking for a new program. I hear with what you’re saying about trying the demos, but I don’t know if I have that kind of time to try 3 different programs. I’d rather get it right the first time. That’s why I’m researching like crazy right now.

I guess I have a couple other questions. I realize that learning a 3d program will be a lot different than using 2d AutoCAD, so I’m prepared to learn a different direction. However, how’s the navigating around in a drawing? Is it similar to AutoCAD? I love how the mouse wheel zooms/pans and I use the command line for everything (is there a command line?) along with various other AutoCAD features that we all love.

Is the rumor true that there is a yearly fee?

This is minor, but it’s something a lot of other programs surprisingly don’t to. Does Revit do a good job with curved roofs, curved framing for roofs (custom curved trusses), eyebrow dormers "curved", lot's of curved stuff? Also, what about doing the eyebrow feature on the side of the gable EXACTLY like the one I've attached? Notice how’s there’s a little hip that comes around the corner that’s in front of the gable.

I think that’s it for now. I may continue with questions after I hear what ya’ll have to say about these questions, but for now, my research continues... 🙂
Message 7 of 45
Anonymous

"gregburkett" wrote in message news:10088224.1093748456501.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... Wow, thanks for the quick responses. I’ve used Desktop in the past and it’s really not what I’m looking for. It’s really not residential friendly imho. That’s why I was kind of skeptic about Revit. It seems like it might be more than I need and might be better for commercial people. Anyway, what’s the learning curve? I know, that’s probably hard to say, but just give it your best guess. I do very well with learning new programs. I’ve used Microstation, AutoCAD 14 to 2005, desktop 1 to 3i, Vectorworks, Accurender, IntelliCAD and now I’m looking for a new program. I hear with what you’re saying about trying the demos, but I don’t know if I have that kind of time to try 3 different programs. I’d rather get it right the first time. That’s why I’m researching like crazy right now. I guess I have a couple other questions. I realize that learning a 3d program will be a lot different than using 2d AutoCAD, so I’m prepared to learn a different direction. However, how’s the navigating around in a drawing? Is it similar to AutoCAD? I love how the mouse wheel zooms/pans and I use the command line for everything (is there a command line?) along with various other AutoCAD features that we all love. Is the rumor true that there is a yearly fee? This is minor, but it’s something a lot of other programs surprisingly don’t to. Does Revit do a good job with curved roofs, curved framing for roofs (custom curved trusses), eyebrow dormers "curved", lot's of curved stuff? Also, what about doing the eyebrow feature on the side of the gable EXACTLY like the one I've attached? Notice how’s there’s a little hip that comes around the corner that’s in front of the gable. I think that’s it for now. I may continue with questions after I hear what ya’ll have to say about these questions, but for now, my research continues... 🙂
Message 8 of 45
Anonymous

"I've used Desktop in the past and it's really not what I'm looking for. It 's really not residential friendly imho. That's why I was kind of skeptic about Revit. It seems like it might be more than I need and might be better for commercial people." A: No Revit is DEFINATELY a good fit for residential. (or commercial for that matter!) It's not like Desktop, where you never really use the 'whole tool'. "Anyway, what's the learning curve?" A: Honestly, shorter than most other programs. Many say they are productive after doing some of the tutorials for about a week. Some of the more challenging aspects of Revit, like the family editor and worksets, might take a bit longer. But since you are familiar with other programs, you will get it pretty quickly. " I'd rather get it right the first time. That's why I'm researching like crazy right now." A: Go with Revit, you wont regret it. "I guess I have a couple other questions. I realize that learning a 3d program will be a lot different than using 2d AutoCAD, so I'm prepared to learn a different direction." A: Be ready to go a different direction. You have to NOT think like AutoCAD. Sometimes, AtuoCAD users have a hard time of letting go, making Revit more difficult to learn. Remember, its a different program. The quicker you let go of AutoCAD tendencies, the quicker you will learn revit. "However, how's the navigating around in a drawing? Is it similar to AutoCAD? I love how the mouse wheel zooms/pans and I use the command line for everything (is there a command line?) along with various other AutoCAD features that we all love." A: Scroll wheel pans and zooms, and 3D orbits, and real time perspective walk-throughs, with Ctrl and Shift plus scroll wheel. VERY easy to navigate. "Is the rumor true that there is a yearly fee?" A: You buy a subscription to Revit, so if you want to continue to get upgrades, you pay a yearly fee. Full releases (5.0 to 6.0) have occured every year for the last 3 years, and point releases in between. The development is so rapid, and each release packed with so many new tools, it would be worse to NOT have the subscription. "This is minor, but it's something a lot of other programs surprisingly don' t to. Does Revit do a good job with curved roofs, curved framing for roofs (custom curved trusses), eyebrow dormers "curved", lot's of curved stuff?" A: See the gallery at www.augi.com in the Revit Forums. Revit can handle any shape you can throw at it. Someone once modeled Corbusier's Ronchamps in Revit 3.0. You will need to create custom curved trusses on your own, or find someone to build them for you. Think this way: if its custom, you will probably need to build it; if it's standard, more than likely Revit comes with the object out of the box. "Also, what about doing the eyebrow feature on the side of the gable EXACTLY like the one I've attached? Notice how's there's a little hip that comes around the corner that's in front of the gable." A: Yes, they can be done, examples also in the gallery at AUGI. "I think that's it for now. I may continue with questions after I hear what ya'll have to say about these questions, but for now, my research continues... :-)" A: Keep the questions coming. be sure to go to www.augi.com and become a member (its free) and then check out the Revit forums there. AUGI is the best site for all things Revit related on the web. Oh, by the way....one of the two people that CREATED Revit, (Leonid) just responed to your thread. Now that's customer support!
Message 9 of 45
Anonymous

I did this a couple years back now...but it has a number of different roof conditions, a couple of which are similar to your example
Message 10 of 45
Anonymous

Leonid, that's actually a pretty common residential feature. That's what scares me about getting a prouduct that does a lot of commercial too... residential is secondary. I'm not saying that's the case with Revit, but that's why I'm researching and asking questions. Anyway, I just went out and took some pictures of a couple houses going up in my neighborhood (see pic). I remember when I used Desktop a couple years ago, it didn't do this for me which frustrated me believe it or not. I heard ArchiCAD doesn't either. The only programs that I came across were the primarily residential programs. However, since this is a common residential feature that they do that in the field, I wonder how many other common roof elements are missing from these 3D modeling software that's not primarily residential (like Desktop).

About the yearly fee... how much are the fees? What is pricing and are there different plans? So basically their forcing you to keep up to date with the latest version? What if you wanted 5.0 for a couple years and then decided to get 9.0 for some reason? Do they allow that or does it have to be the yearly fee?

Finally, does anyone have a link to a sample set of contruction documents created by Revit? I'm curious to see how it all looks. How long would it take to do a 3000 sp. ft. house (again, your best guess)? Someone said that from the minute you draw your first wall, it starts creating the construction documents. How often do you have to rearrange or move things around from what Revit creates?

It only allowed me to post one picture here, so here's the other two I took:

http://home.houston.rr.com/personalwebspace/hippedgable1.JPG
http://home.houston.rr.com/personalwebspace/hippedgable2.JPG

Thanks again guys! Ya'll are being very helpful.

BTW, I signed up at augi, but have received the email to confirm it yet. 😕
Message 11 of 45
Anonymous

Greg, The roof condition that you are asking about is indeed common and easily achievable in Revit - the image attached is a 5 minute model to show the condition in question (the windows are from the Andersen 400 series with parametric cross-head, muntins and shutters - thanks Abe!). Like the others that responded to this thread I encourage you to take a look at the projects posted in the Revit Gallery on www.augi.com and to download the trial version and take Revit for a spin. For pricing contact your local Autodesk reseller - to find the Resellers near to you go to www.autodesk.com/partners or drop me an email and i'll help you locate someone in your area. Regards, Brian Autodesk, Inc. brian.fitzpatrick@autodeskNOSPAM.com "gregburkett" wrote in message news:3209892.1093814081822.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Leonid, that's actually a pretty common residential feature. That's what scares me about getting a prouduct that does a lot of commercial too... residential is secondary. I'm not saying that's the case with Revit, but that's why I'm researching and asking questions. Anyway, I just went out and took some pictures of a couple houses going up in my neighborhood (see pic). I remember when I used Desktop a couple years ago, it didn't do this for me which frustrated me believe it or not. I heard ArchiCAD doesn't either. The only programs that I came across were the primarily residential programs. However, since this is a common residential feature that they do that in the field, I wonder how many other common roof elements are missing from these 3D modeling software that's not primarily residential (like Desktop). > > About the yearly fee... how much are the fees? What is pricing and are there different plans? So basically their forcing you to keep up to date with the latest version? What if you wanted 5.0 for a couple years and then decided to get 9.0 for some reason? Do they allow that or does it have to be the yearly fee? > > Finally, does anyone have a link to a sample set of contruction documents created by Revit? I'm curious to see how it all looks. How long would it take to do a 3000 sp. ft. house (again, your best guess)? Someone said that from the minute you draw your first wall, it starts creating the construction documents. How often do you have to rearrange or move things around from what Revit creates? > > It only allowed me to post one picture here, so here's the other two I took: > > http://home.houston.rr.com/personalwebspace/hippedgable1.JPG > http://home.houston.rr.com/personalwebspace/hippedgable2.JPG > > Thanks again guys! Ya'll are being very helpful.
Message 12 of 45
Anonymous

There is no doubt that this is a common residential feature and as other posters demonstrated Revit can handle it. In my post I was referring to the ambiguous part of the image. Specifically, it was not clear to me from the picture if the top surface of the "eyebrow" feature was horizontal or slopped. Now looking at it closer it does look sloped but the edge between surface of the main roof and top surface of "eyebrow" is deceptively close to continuation of the gable and that was the piece that I wanted to clarify. Sorry to have troubled you with taking pictures. "gregburkett" wrote in message news:3209892.1093814081822.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Leonid, that's actually a pretty common residential feature. That's what scares me about getting a prouduct that does a lot of commercial too... residential is secondary. I'm not saying that's the case with Revit, but that's why I'm researching and asking questions. Anyway, I just went out and took some pictures of a couple houses going up in my neighborhood (see pic). I remember when I used Desktop a couple years ago, it didn't do this for me which frustrated me believe it or not. I heard ArchiCAD doesn't either. The only programs that I came across were the primarily residential programs. However, since this is a common residential feature that they do that in the field, I wonder how many other common roof elements are missing from these 3D modeling software that's not primarily residential (like Desktop). > > About the yearly fee... how much are the fees? What is pricing and are there different plans? So basically their forcing you to keep up to date with the latest version? What if you wanted 5.0 for a couple years and then decided to get 9.0 for some reason? Do they allow that or does it have to be the yearly fee? > > Finally, does anyone have a link to a sample set of contruction documents created by Revit? I'm curious to see how it all looks. How long would it take to do a 3000 sp. ft. house (again, your best guess)? Someone said that from the minute you draw your first wall, it starts creating the construction documents. How often do you have to rearrange or move things around from what Revit creates? > > It only allowed me to post one picture here, so here's the other two I took: > > http://home.houston.rr.com/personalwebspace/hippedgable1.JPG > http://home.houston.rr.com/personalwebspace/hippedgable2.JPG > > Thanks again guys! Ya'll are being very helpful.
Message 13 of 45
Anonymous

Thanks Brian! Looks great!

It's no problem Leonid... I was out and about anyway. It's always been hard for me to explain the eyebrow feature that I'm looking for because there's a couple of ways of doing it, so I figured it's about time to take a real life picture of it.

Anyway, does anyone know who I need to contact at augi about not receiving my confirmation email?
Message 14 of 45
Anonymous

You might also give the ADT add-on called VisionRez a look-see.... http://www.visionrez.com It is an add-on for ADT that is specifically for residential work (and light commerical). Ted After *gregburkett* sat on the keyboard, the following *poo* showed up here: > Hello, > I'm hoping ya'll can give me an fair and unbiased opinion. Here's > the product I'm looking for. We do a lot of residential and some > lite commercial. Mainly, I'll be working on residential. Currently, > we are doing our 2D documents in AutoCAD. However, I have now been > asked to find a product that I can create 3D models in to create our > houses that can easily generate perspectives and walk-through's for > our client, but at the same time generate construction documents - > site, foundation, floor plans, elevations, sections, interior > elevations and electrical. It needs to be fast and easy to > use/learn. Is Revit too much for my needs? I have been pointed > towards Chief Architect, but a couple of those guys said Softplan was > better. The whole parametric concept sounds intriguing to me, but > are there problems with it? The Softplan guys say that Softplan is > practically parametric meaning if I have to change something that > affects all sheets, once the models done... it's so easy to recreate > the rest of the sheets if something changes. What are ya'll > thoughts? Is Revit more for commercial and I'd be better off with a > residential program like Softplan? I welcome any feedback. Thank > you for your time.
Message 15 of 45
Anonymous

Greg, some of your info. is a little "loaded" as it is hard to ask in any discussion group for a "fair and unbiased" opinion. Good place for some thought generation but of course answers are going to be biased. You best assessment should always come from a personal evaluation of any program you are looking for.

While there are many positive features in Revit, unlike others, my organization did not find it to suit our residential needs. We need CD's and for us ADT is still the much stronger choice. However, the design and view ability of Revit is very strong. It will be very difficult to find one program that will give you both. And all programs will require a learning curve, just part of technology 😞 Our evaluation was that Revit is very well suited for commercial but not as adapt construction documentation for residential requirements. We partnered our ADT dev. with VisionREZ as well and are very, very pleased with our progress. Learning curve was about a week and productivity is increasing with each project.

Regardless, personally check out all of your choices, look at and ask about sales numbers, user numbers, use by educational institutions and most importantly how do they resolve your most pressing need? Happy hunting! Max
Message 16 of 45
Anonymous

Revit can do CD's just as well, if not better than ADT - the only argument I can think of is that sharing CD's in DWG format is still the most common used method. Revit can export to DWG/DXF but it's not 'perfect' ~ If you're 'up to date' and use DWF format w/markup you might just as well use Revit [imho it's the better choise] "maxarch" schreef in bericht news:11083781.1093874355572.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Greg, some of your info. is a little "loaded" as it is hard to ask in any discussion group for a "fair and unbiased" opinion. Good place for some thought generation but of course answers are going to be biased. You best assessment should always come from a personal evaluation of any program you are looking for. > > While there are many positive features in Revit, unlike others, my organization did not find it to suit our residential needs. We need CD's and for us ADT is still the much stronger choice. However, the design and view ability of Revit is very strong. It will be very difficult to find one program that will give you both. And all programs will require a learning curve, just part of technology 😞 Our evaluation was that Revit is very well suited for commercial but not as adapt construction documentation for residential requirements. We partnered our ADT dev. with VisionREZ as well and are very, very pleased with our progress. Learning curve was about a week and productivity is increasing with each project. > > Regardless, personally check out all of your choices, look at and ask about sales numbers, user numbers, use by educational institutions and most importantly how do they resolve your most pressing need? Happy hunting! Max
Message 17 of 45
Anonymous

Yuo should be ale to go back to AUGI and login as a Guest and then send a message to the forum adminsitrator. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll send you the contact info. Scott Davis AUGI Forum Moderator "gregburkett" wrote in message news:22381176.1093834408915.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Thanks Brian! Looks great! > > It's no problem Leonid... I was out and about anyway. It's always been hard for me to explain the eyebrow feature that I'm looking for because there's a couple of ways of doing it, so I figured it's about time to take a real life picture of it. > > Anyway, does anyone know who I need to contact at augi about not receiving my confirmation email?
Message 18 of 45
Anonymous

No it cannot, in our opinion and assessment it cannot do CD's as well as AutoCAD or ADT. We see the potential but at this time it was not a fit. Also, we work with many builders and have thousands of legacy DWG files that are routinely worked on, edited, maintained. The conversion is not as seamless as one would be led to believe and the transition would be extremely costly.

Also, a firm does need to take into account the number of users, sales, etc. You need to know how compatible your work will be with those you interact with. If you have a relatively low instance of file sharing with outside sources then that is not an argument. But if you do then you also need to consider those needs.

I still cannot get anybody to confirm any sales numbers for Revit at this time. I think that would be a very important figure to many and if Revit is the "resolution" to all these architectural issues why would one not want to tout how rapidly they are gaining sales and adoption of the new technology? That might not be important to everybody but for us we could not get anybody to quote any "solid" numbers and that was a little unsettling to us.
Message 19 of 45
Anonymous

Revit is fully capable of producing CD's...many feel its better in some aspects than AutoCAD or ADT. One aspect alone makes it better....fully coordinated drawings! For that one reason alone, I would use Revit over anything else. So you have thousands of legacy DWG drawings? Who doesn't! (I say that with a smile!) Consider using Revit Series, which bundles vanilla AutoCAD together with Revit for a huge discount. Now your transition is not as costly, and is nearly seamless, and you can interact with all of those using AutoCAD. Plus Revit does one heck of a job on it's own with import and export of DWG....and DXF, and DGN. Although we may never hear 'the numbers' quoted, jsut read some of the success stories. When large firms such as DMJM and Skidmore (SOM) are adopting it, and using it on projects such as the WTC Freedom Tower....that says something about the product and it's success. "maxarch" wrote in message news:13916113.1093879919571.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > No it cannot, in our opinion and assessment it cannot do CD's as well as AutoCAD or ADT. We see the potential but at this time it was not a fit. Also, we work with many builders and have thousands of legacy DWG files that are routinely worked on, edited, maintained. The conversion is not as seamless as one would be led to believe and the transition would be extremely costly. > > Also, a firm does need to take into account the number of users, sales, etc. You need to know how compatible your work will be with those you interact with. If you have a relatively low instance of file sharing with outside sources then that is not an argument. But if you do then you also need to consider those needs. > > I still cannot get anybody to confirm any sales numbers for Revit at this time. I think that would be a very important figure to many and if Revit is the "resolution" to all these architectural issues why would one not want to tout how rapidly they are gaining sales and adoption of the new technology? That might not be important to everybody but for us we could not get anybody to quote any "solid" numbers and that was a little unsettling to us.
Message 20 of 45
Anonymous

If he ONLY does residential, is Revit overkill? Can it do things dedicated residential software can do, like framing plans & schedules, out of the box? Not trolling, just curious.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report