Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to change a camera lens in Revit ?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
19649 Views, 4 Replies

Is it possible to change a camera lens in Revit ?

As you can in 3ds Max ?

We have a few site photos taken at known locations with known focal length. Can you adjust the focal length of a camera view in Revit ? I've looked everywhere, but can't find any parameters.

It's not the same as simply adjusting the crop size, some of these views are taken at wide angles - and we would like to replicate the parallax / perspective distortion in the render to make it easier to merge the images in Photoshop.

So far - it looks as though we will have to do this in 3ds Max only.

Thanks

Martin

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rosskirby
in reply to: Anonymous

Kind of, but it's not easy.  I found the attached PDF a while back, and it's a bit tedious to go through, but it's better than nothing.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: rosskirby

Thanks Ross,

That technique looks like a way of predicting the crop size / extents of the image from a viewpoint from a desired focal length - so that the size of the image approximates that of a particular focal length.

What it won't do, is to replicate the visual impact of a particular lens (parallax). If you get close in to a building and take a shot with a wide angle to more or less fill the frame - then take the same subject from further away with a telephoto lens to again fill the frame - the extents will be the same, but the appearance of the building will be very different.

I'll try it out - but I did a bit more research last night, and it seems 3ds Max is probably the easiest route, at least until Revit can include the ability to choose lenses.

Thanks

Martin

Message 4 of 5
rosskirby

You're right, it can't re-create any parallax from your original photos, so 3DS Max is probably the easiest route.  Alternatively, you could correct the parallax in your background photo first, but that's just a suggestion.

Good luck to you.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 5
petalm

Hi, i made an excel for calculate Revit camera focal length. Please use it and confirm if it works?!
(Metric version)
/Petter Alm, Senior Consultant BIM/VDC/VIZ

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=9F01F08488EB7B23!29964&authkey=!ANKidodU7wWC3VM&ithint...
Alm

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report