Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Dell Precision M3800 good for Revit? Scaling issues?

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
mrxmry
2509 Views, 14 Replies

Is Dell Precision M3800 good for Revit? Scaling issues?

I really like Dell Precision M3800 laptop, but reading about the issues with scaling on different softwares are deterring me form that choice. 

What is your expreience? I really like that laptop but if it does Revit does not look good on it than I am gonna go for something else. If so, what are the alternatives?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
filipefrancisco
in reply to: mrxmry

Try the HP Workstation Zbook 17, i have one and is fantastic

Filipe Francisco
Comunidade Autodesk - Português - Colaborador
Autodesk Certified Instructor | AutoCAD Certified | Revit Architecture Certified | Autodesk Expert Elite

YOUTUBE | LINKEDIN

Se a resposta resolveu o seu problema, clique em Aceitar como Solução isso ajuda os outros usuários a encontrar rapidamente uma resposta e Curta se gostou.

If the answer solved your problem, click Accept as Solution. This helps other users to quickly find an answer. And hit Like if you do.

Autodesk Community

Message 3 of 15
mrxmry
in reply to: filipefrancisco

Hey Francisco, what resolution is your laptop?
Message 4 of 15
KyleB_Autodesk

The M3800 is my primary technical laptop (I also have a Surface Pro 3). I have no major issues with scaling or resolution on it. I couldn't ask for a better technical machine, given the build quality and hardware.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 15
mrxmry
in reply to: KyleB_Autodesk

Thanks for your input Kyle. Do you have the 15.6” FHD 1920x1080 one? People have been reporting issues with icons being too small and others. Have those been resolved in Revit 2015? Can you comment on other design software: Autocad, Rhino, Sketchup etc What about Adobe CS? Thanks!

Message 6 of 15
KyleB_Autodesk

The native panel resolution is insane (3200 x 1800), and I found that adjusting Windows' DPI setting couldn't deliver the desired actual display size of UI elements without moving outside of the "normal bounds" of the DPI spectrum.  So, I can confirm that you'll find some weirdness if you run the max panel resolution + set a high DPI.

I just stepped the resolution to 20148 x 1152, set the DPI to 125%, and have been perfectly happy with it.  I haven't found any major apps to misbehave at 125% DPI.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 15
mrxmry

Awesome news. Can you post a screenshot of Revit @ 125% on that laptop? Do you think it getting 1920x1080 resolution will be sufficient? Do you see any future benefit to having 3200x1800 screen? Some say there is no real benefit for having high density displays on 15" laptop.
Message 8 of 15

I have 17'' with 1920x1080

Filipe Francisco
Autodesk Certified Instructor | AutoCAD Certified | Revit Architecture Certified | Autodesk Expert Elite

YOUTUBE | LINKEDIN

Se a resposta resolveu o seu problema, clique em Aceitar como Solução isso ajuda os outros usuários a encontrar rapidamente uma resposta e Curta se gostou.

If the answer solved your problem, click Accept as Solution. This helps other users to quickly find an answer. And hit Like if you do.

Autodesk Community

Message 9 of 15
KyleB_Autodesk

Think that resolution would be fine. I don't find that I need a super-high resolution screen + high OS DPI/ I'm perfectly satisfied with the 2048x1152 + 125% DPI.  My screen cap below.

m3800 Screen Shot.png

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 15
mrxmry

Do Adobe applications also look this good?
Message 11 of 15
filipefrancisco

It is probably to look good, its enough this resolution

Filipe Francisco

YOUTUBE | LINKEDIN

Autodesk Community

Message 12 of 15
mrxmry

I guess I am confused because of the following discussion https://forums.adobe.com/message/7136594#7136594
Message 13 of 15
KyleB_Autodesk

That post alludes to exactly what I was referring to as well -> Running the display at native panel resolution, while adjusting the DPI to make things not comically small, results in weirdness across many apps, since many apps are not tested on DPI settings over 150%.  Running at the second highest panel resolution + 125% DPI does the trick for me without any weirdness across major productivity apps.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 15
mrxmry

Thanks Kyle, your responses are very informative. Now, by no weirdness, do you mean that what you see on the screen is not stretched either? I want to make sure that the images I produce or manipulate will be displayed at other screens with no change in aspect, scale, or quality.
Message 15 of 15
KyleB_Autodesk

@mrxmry wrote:
Thanks Kyle, your responses are very informative. Now, by no weirdness, do you mean that what you see on the screen is not stretched either? I want to make sure that the images I produce or manipulate will be displayed at other screens with no change in aspect, scale, or quality.

Yes, the resolution I run matches the aspect ratio of the panel, so WYSIWYG.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report