Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPad 2

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
beacharchitect
3070 Views, 9 Replies

IPad 2

Waiting for my new Ipad2 to be delivered. Wondering how I can best use it and Revit 2012 together.

Thad Broom, AIA

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ToanDN
in reply to: beacharchitect

Have it play music while you are working with Revit from your computer, perhaps?

Message 3 of 10

I'm hoping i can put together some killer presentations for clients.

Tha A. Broom, AIA

Message 4 of 10
ToanDN

Totally.  Have it play background music while you are impressing the clients with your killer presentation.

Message 5 of 10
rosskirby

"I'm hoping i can put together some killer presentations for clients."

On an iPad...? Seriously?  April 1st was 5 days ago...

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 6 of 10
achicksify

We've got about half a dozen people using iPad as a presentation, review, markup tool.  With a suitable app it can view various image formats and PDFs.  You can't run Revit on iPad if that's what your thinking.  Autodesk is rumored to be working on a cloud version of Revit (like AutoCAD WS) that could maybe, possibly be used on a mobile device, but that is pure speculation.

Message 7 of 10
DarrenP
in reply to: achicksify

i think thats the citrix support which they are now supporting: http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2011/04/autodesk-announces-nine-citrix-ready-application...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 10

We have released an iPad app that you can use to view and markup Revit files. It is called CadFaster and it is available free on the app store. You need a plug-in for Revit to export your models. You can export them as EXEs for Windows users (so they can open Revit files without installing any software) and to the Cloud for iPad users. Everyone who gets access to the model (EXE or cloud) can markup the model and others can see these markup threads in real time. Also, you can arrange co-viewing sessions where one acts as a host and others follow the presentation of the model and markups. Check the app out at

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cadfaster/id447057884?mt=8

and download the plug-in at

http://www.cadfaster.com

I am looking forward to your feedback!

Tuomas Holma

Message 9 of 10

For now, you may check this app for iPhone / iPad on our Labs

http://bluestreak.autodesk.com/Home/Login

Niranjan Kamath

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 10
jjs
Contributor

I know this post is a little old, but…

Don’t listen to them tell you your ipad is only good for music. I’ll admit it’s not the most ideal tool for revit, but I use mine in conjunction with revit often.

1. When I work from home (not at my office with my second monitor attached to my laptop) I use my ipad as second monitor to house the properties and project browser. Actually works well since the touch screen still works, so you can just ‘touch’ the view you want to switch to on the ipad. Mouse also works of course. The graphics processing is a bit slow so it’s not good for your actual drawing, but it works great to clear up the laptop screen from the properties and project browser. I use the app “idisplay” to do this.
  2. “Autodesk 360” works well to access a full set of drawings at a job site. Although it crashes a bit too much. As does keeping pdf's in your ‘dropbox’ and access them anywhere. So the apps you’ll need for this are “autodesk 360” and “dropbox”
  3. And lastly, in a pinch, I have actually used the ipad to draft on. I don’t take my laptop on trips where I don’t expect to be drawing, but if I have to, I use the ipad to access my computer and use Revit remotely. It actually works pretty well, the biggest problem is the lack of a mouse. The app I use has a virtual mouse that makes the use of revit possible. Although not ideal, you can certainly pull up a file, make a few modifications, and send out a drawing in a pinch. I use 'pocket cloud' for this, but logmein works too, just more expensive.

So the ipad isn’t the ultimate Revit tool, but it has its place.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report