Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invert Selection

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
dbroad
10010 Views, 16 Replies

Invert Selection

I cannot seem to find a way to invert a selection in a view.  Surely there is a way by now to do such things?

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
rosskirby
in reply to: dbroad

2013 has selection sets, but no, you cannot invert a selection.  In what situation would you need to, out of curiosity?

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 17
dbroad
in reply to: rosskirby

To work with most of the objects instead of a few.

In this instance I wanted to hide everything but some selected objects.  I was able to isolate them.  That worked here.  Most programs allow for inverting a selection so it got me wondering.

Thanks for the response.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 4 of 17
rosskirby

Ah, in that case what you'll want to do is Filter the selection.  For example, drag a big crossing window around multiple objects to select them, then, in the bottom righ-hand corner of the screen you'll see a little blue funnel (Filter).  Select that, and uncheck the items that you don't want to have selected.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 17
s.gleeson

I know this is a long time since you posted but I encountered the same problem and have a solution.

1. Create a temporary isolated view with all the elements that one wishes to use as a working view,
  2. Creat a copy of the view using "Duplicate with Detaling",
  3. Rename the view to the final name that you wish to use it for,
  4.  Select all elements in that view and create a group from them and give it a name that identifies the set of elements.  If there are model and detail items in the selection set, several groups may be created so give them all a corresponding relevant name.  If there are any elements that are constrained to elements not in the group, you will need to include those elements within the group.  They can be removed from the view later,
  5. Reset the "Temporary Hide/Isolate" view,
  6. Select all elements in the view by dragging left to right with left mouse button depressed,
  7. Then holding down the the Shift key, move the cursor over the selected elements until the group is highlighted and press the left mouse button to de-select it.  You may have to do this several times if more than one group was created  intitially so that all of the required elements are selected.  This is where the relevant group name comes in handy as its name will be shown as you hover over it.  You may need to tab through options to find all the groups,
  8. When all of the groups have been deselected, right click in the view and use the "Hide In View - Elements" option.

You now have a new view with only those items that you want displayed.  Yes it would be much simpler if Autodesk incorporated a simple invert selection command.  Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 17
s.gleeson
in reply to: rosskirby

One sometimes needs a view with specific elements and notes/text in them. Using the Filters, as suggested, is very cumbersome as it selects whole groups of elements which one then must go through and deselect all the unwanted elements. Or am I missing something?

I'm not up to speed with Dynamo commands but if it has a method to invert the selection and then create a new view using only the selected elements, that would be very handy and I would love to know how it can done.
Message 7 of 17
ToanDN

@dbroad wrote:

To work with most of the objects instead of a few.

In this instance I wanted to hide everything but some selected objects.  I was able to isolate them.  That worked here.  Most programs allow for inverting a selection so it got me wondering.

Thanks for the response.

1. Select a few elements > Temporary Hide/Isolate > Hide Elements: there you have hid a few and can work with the rest.

2. I know it is a 9 year old thread.

Message 8 of 17
ToanDN
in reply to: s.gleeson

@s.gleeson wrote:
One sometimes needs a view with specific elements and notes/text in them. Using the Filters, as suggested, is very cumbersome as it selects whole groups of elements which one then must go through and deselect all the unwanted elements. Or am I missing something?
Duplicate a view > open the view > select all elements you DO NOT want to hide > Temporary Hide/Isolate > Isolate Elements.  Temporary Hide/Isolate again > Apply Hide/Isolate to View.

Message 9 of 17
Ziqq

Its not available withing default revit console.

Message 10 of 17
Corsten.Au

Seems its incorporated in one of the really good free plugin called pyRevit.

Here it is, Invert Selection.

pyRevit.pyRevit.

Corsten
Building Designer
Message 11 of 17
s.gleeson
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks ToanDN.  That saves a lot of time and now that you have posted it I do remember seeing that option some time when I had no need to use it :-).  I did miss something!

Message 12 of 17
s.gleeson
in reply to: Corsten.Au

Good one CorstenAU. Thanks for that input.
Message 13 of 17
RDAOU

After 9 years!! Ingenuous ideas for simple tasks ... Personally IF I would want/need that functionality I prefer Dynamo over all what has been suggested

RDAOU_0-1631785381601.png    Reverse selection.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 14 of 17
julius.atelier
in reply to: RDAOU

Hold CTRL + SHIFT and select all with mouse cursor. It works well.

Message 15 of 17
bsilvaTYLLB

all these workarounds are ok at best. but come on, an "invert selection" command should be a lot simpler. most other software allow you to tap one key and it knows to invert the whole selection and you can do things a lot faster.  

Message 16 of 17
kboek6P94G
in reply to: bsilvaTYLLB

CTRL+SHIFT (as mentioned above) plus crossing window from left to right does the trick.
Message 17 of 17
gustavobernardi

Select pressing control and shift.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report