Revit Architecture

Valued Contributor
thaner9
Message 1 of 22 (5,683 Views)
Accepted Solution

Interior Rendering shows up black

5683 Views, 21 Replies
05-18-2012 10:46 AM

I've been googling and looking through the discussion forums and I just can't figure out why my interior rendering scenes just show up black. I have opened up projects from previous releases that I was able to get interior scenes to render correctly and they render fine in 2013. I've imported the modified fixtures to the current projects file and they still don't do anything. The scene I'm talking about has a ceiling modeled on the underside of a floor. I've read this may be an issue, but my light fixtures light source is to be 1/4" above the plane of the ceiling. In my case, it's a 5/8" layer of drywall. I just can't figure this out.

Thanks,

Logan

Now serving a big plate of "yes, you're still just learning"...

Even though the image on the screen suggested my camera was not inside a wall, when I looked at it in plan form, it was. I moved it forward a bit, out of the wall, and now things work.

Notes for future forum'ers...

It still requires (at least when placed under a floor element) that the Light Source Elevation remain within the thickness of the ceiling element. I rendered with it outside of my 5/8" material (back to the original 3" above bottom plane) and it did not render. So, light fixtures won't render "inside" a floor.

If you want the fixture itself to have a "glow", you need to edit the fixture's "Light Source Definition" to have it's "Light Distribution" to be a spherical instead of spot. I've attached an image that illustrates this.

Thanks for everyone's help...

*Expert Elite*
LisaDrago
Message 2 of 22 (5,679 Views)

Re: Interior Rendering shows up black

05-18-2012 10:52 AM in reply to: thaner9

I would throw in a studio light to see if it is the light fixtures or not - it is jut an orb of light - no fixture. You can specify the offset from the floor to get the height you want.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Valued Contributor
thaner9
Message 3 of 22 (5,677 Views)

05-18-2012 11:00 AM in reply to: LisaDrago

I threw one in...still no luck.

*Expert Elite*
LisaDrago
Message 4 of 22 (5,672 Views)

05-18-2012 11:15 AM in reply to: thaner9

On the rendering dialog box - what do you have the lighting set to? see attached image...

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
Valued Contributor
thaner9
Message 5 of 22 (5,665 Views)

05-18-2012 11:21 AM in reply to: LisaDrago

I've tried Interior and Exterior with Sun only, sun and artificial...etc. Doesn't seem to change anything. I'm just rendering in Draft mode to save time, not sure that matters. I've also adjusted the exposure to no avail.

I've edited the fixture to move the Light Source Elevation to be inside the depth of my Ceiling, but that doesn't seem to help.

I've also turned off the floor 'layer' and that hasn't helped...

*Expert Elite*
LisaDrago
Message 6 of 22 (5,663 Views)

Re: Interior Rendering shows up black - Need Autodesk help

05-18-2012 11:27 AM in reply to: thaner9

WOW I am really at a loss - not sure what to say... hopefully an autodesk employee will take a look at this one...

LD

Valued Contributor
thaner9
Message 7 of 22 (5,661 Views)

Re: Interior Rendering shows up black - Need Autodesk help

05-18-2012 11:29 AM in reply to: LisaDrago

No problem. Thanks for trying.

I'm tempted to start up a "dummy" project with Revit's Out-of-the-Box template and insert lights and see if it works there. Seems I always run into this problem when the upgrade happens.

*Expert Elite*
LisaDrago
Message 8 of 22 (5,659 Views)

05-18-2012 11:35 AM in reply to: thaner9

Would not hurt to try... 

Hope you get it to work.. when you do post what you did - if you don't mind.

LD

Valued Mentor
vector2
Message 9 of 22 (5,638 Views)

05-18-2012 01:02 PM in reply to: thaner9

You didn't say you cranked up the wattage on the light. If that's

too low it's going to render black no matter where you set the

exposure.

Valued Contributor
thaner9
Message 10 of 22 (5,633 Views)

05-18-2012 01:15 PM in reply to: thaner9

I changed to 150W and still nothing. I created a "dummy" file and just made a 40'x40' box with a floor and a flat roof and then added a ceiling and some fixtures and everything works fine there.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.