Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

interior plaster

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
Anonymous
2990 Views, 20 Replies

interior plaster

Hello everybody,

Revit has thousands of functions. Calculation how many doors, windows etc. my project has. But how can i calculate how many m² interior plaster my project has? Or how many m² the exterior insulation and finish system is?

Is there any tutorial for that? 

Thank you!

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
L.Maas
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you looked into a Material Take-Off schedule for your walls?

Some people have some issues with the accuracy spmetimes, but it just might do the trick

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: L.Maas

Can you explain me how to do that? I never heard this bevore ?
Message 4 of 21
Alisder.Brown

Patrick

As EnlInt said, for this you want to use a "Material Take-Off"

You will find this tool on the "VIEW" tab of your Ribbon, under the drop down list for "Schedules"

When you select the material Take-off, you will be prompted to choose a category to take off, choose "Walls" from the list and hit OK

You will then be prompted to choose certain information you want to display. In this case, i choose:

• Material: Area
  • Material: Cost (if you have a cost applied)
  • Material: Description
  • Material: Name

I have attached an image to show you the kind of result you can get.

In the image, i have also created a Calculated value to display the total cost of my material. Here is the formula i used for this:

(Material: Area / 1) * Material: Cost

This formula will give you the total cost of your material Sq/M. 

And i have Grouped the material by "Material: Name" and hidden the field to make it look nicer. But you can ofc. format it however you like.

Keep in mind that making cut outs on the wall, like adding in Windows, Doors, connecting floor to Core of wall, openings etc. will affect the values in the schedule.

Hope this helps

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: Alisder.Brown

Ok, i understand this.

But is it necessary to draw the pattern or not?

How should the program know what is interior and exterior pattern? How can i define that?

Message 6 of 21
L.Maas

I do not know exactly what you mean by draw pattern. What you normally do is create a wall with different layers. The layers you assign materials (e.g plaster). Then you can schedule these walls. See screenshot

Wall.png

You can see here that we have a wall. Revit indicates already what is the interior and exterior side of the wall.

So here, on this simple wall, you see a plaster layer on the inside of the wall.

However make sure that you draw them propely in your model otherwise your plaster layer will still end up on the outside.

If you have interiors wall (e.g. separating rooms) you can create a wall with two plaster layers (one on the interior side, one on the exterior side).

So it is a matter of defining the proper walls for your project.

And if you will have plaster on the inside of the building and plaster on the outside of the building than the easiest way will be to create two different plaster materials (e.g. Plaster_Interior, Plaster_Exterior). Than they can appear differently in your schedules.

Louis

EESignature

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous

Sorry for my late reply!

I understand what your doing. Perfect!

But still one question: If i draw a plan in 1:50 i dont want to see the plaster lines? 

Now if I create a wall like you did, i draw it an see four lines (plaster, wall, plaster) 

How can i modify that?

Message 8 of 21
L.Maas

View options come to mind. In the type settings of the wall you can set a "Coarse Scale Fill Pattern".

When you set the view to coarse your whole wall will become this fill pattern.

If needed with graphics override you can set the detail level of only the walls to coarse.

Another option is under graphics override to deselect common edges under the wall category.

You can further finetune it if needed with filters.

Finally, not the preferred on, you could set the thickness of the plaster to a small value (like 1 mm). Then it would virtually look like a single line.

Louis

EESignature

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous

Tank you very much! A Screenshot would be very nice couse i use a german revit version and the translation is not that easy!
Message 10 of 21
L.Maas

Wall Type Coarse Scale Fil Pattern

Type Wall.png

Wall Thickness

Wll Thickness.png

Graphics Visibility Overrides

Wall Visbility.png

Louis

EESignature

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous

Thank you very much. But i don*t get it working 😛

Can you write a step by step instructional please? That would be very helpful!
Message 12 of 21
L.Maas

Maybe this Screencast will help

Louis

EESignature

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous

Wow thank you so much! 

I find all buttons, but the last change doesn't work?!? 

If I uncheck "common edges" the plaster lines are still there?

Here is the drawing file, sorry upload here is limited to 5 mb

http://www.file-upload.net/download-9731339/Walls.rvt.html

Why I need this: I want to get the mass of the plaster as easy as possible. 

I also added one list with the plaster. But how can i calculate a final result? So counting the plaster m² toghether?

Message 14 of 21
L.Maas

Checked your file. You had override Host layers Checked.

While Switching of the common edges. The overide host layers settings overrides this settings.

Switch off the cut line styles and you will see thelines dissapear

Wall Settings.png

Louis

EESignature

Message 15 of 21
L.Maas

In the schedule you have to indicate some grouping and indicate you want to have totals.

If needed you can group everything to a single value by deselecting itemize every instance.

Totals.png

Then you have to group something and indicate from which field you want calculations.

Totals.png

Louis

EESignature

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous

Thank you very much for your help!
Sorry for my questions but i am writing my thesis about revit.... Mass calculation, energy optimization ....

For the plaser lines: Yes this works, but if i uncheck the box also the lines of the thermal insulation dissapear....

What i want: 

For the plot of the factory plan, the plaster is not needed.

It is only needed for the mass calulation and the rendering.Altough in the bath rooms i want to draw tiles...

Also in Germany the m² of a room must be calculated with plaster.

Isn't it possible, to get revit working that the plaster is only shown in details? E.G. in 1:5 or greater?

In 1:50 i don't need it, it is even disturbing...

I attached a picture of the current problem with missing insulation lines.

Message 17 of 21
L.Maas

I can think of two solutions.

If you want to show insulation lines but not plaster than you can override the cut line styles. You can for example change the lines drawn for the plaster to white so they will not show up on the drawing. So the lines are not really hidden but changed to the background. If this is acceptable you will have to decide

Wall Overrides.png

Other option could be to create new wall type with only the plaster layer and put the the two walls next to each other (lot more work during modelling)

However this plaster wall can be contolled, made invisible etc. (Be careful to check your calculations in this case or you may end up with dobule the m2.)

As last option get rid of the plaster layer and use other wall layer for area calculations.

Louis

EESignature

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous

Hmm okay, that would be one possibility.

What about the second way? If I create a wall (a standard wall ut of revit) and i make the calculation list, i still get only one side of the wall calculated.

E.g. my wall has 3 x 4 meters. It shows me 12 m².
But in reality this inside wall has 24 m² plaster. How i define that?

Message 19 of 21
L.Maas

Two solutions.

-Make the wall with two layers plaster

-Add a formula to your schedule and multiply area * 2

Schedule Area.png

Louis

EESignature

Message 20 of 21
Anonymous

Okay, i think it will be the better way to draw a normal wall and then add manuall the layers.

A question to the calculation:
A windows is subtracted.correct? But how can i define from what m² on it will be subtracted? E.g. it only should substract it if it is greater or equal 2,5 m².

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report