Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instanced Yes/No with Voids???

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
wkohn
567 Views, 4 Replies

Instanced Yes/No with Voids???

Hello,

I'm creating some simple countertops and am trying to give my users as much flexibility as I can.  I have a straight run of countertop and have given them yes/no options for backsplash's and that works great.  The only other thing I would like to do is give them an option to make either the left, right, or both sides have a radius corner.  I thought I could accomplish this with voids, but there is no on/off option with them.  So I tried to write a basic formula that would control the thickness of a void, something like = if(Radius, Thickness, 0), but found that formula's refuse to work with an instanced paramenter (or just about any yes/no parameter I've tried).  Is there a way to accomplish this?  Is it possible?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

~Wes~ 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: wkohn

Making voids at corners appear or disappear at different corners is possible, but it is a lot of work. A simpler way is to use different counter tops families, one without round corners, another one with one, and another one with two. Then, the three types are labeled with a family type parameter that the user can swap at will.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 5
wkohn

Thanks Alfredo,

After much research I found out exactly what you are suggesting.  If only formula's could understand an instanced parameter this would be so easy.  Unfortunately they don't so I had to find a way around it.  In lieu of creating a myriad of different countertop families with radius corners on this side or that side or both sides I used a suggestion I found elsewhere online.  Just give the corners a radius option.   The default is 1/32" which essentially looks and acts square enough for our needs.  Then when we need our standard 2" radius the user can just fill it in.  It's not perfect, but it works and my users will apprecieate the simplicity of not scrollilng through 20-30 countertop options.

Message 4 of 5
kevinmulvaney

Take a look at this family. The end radius and side splashes are driven by the Start and End overhang. Set it to an inch and the counter top radiuses, set it to 0 and the corner squares and adds the side splash, if the backsplash parameter is selected.

These are all instance paramaters, the depth of the counter top is the only Type parameter.

@oihadsf wrote:
If only formula's could understand an instanced parameter this would be so easy.  Unfortunately they don't so I had to find a way around it.

Formulas will understand Instance parameters, but you can't have a type parameter driven by an instance.

Kevin Mulvaney, CAD/Revit Manager
PKA ARCHITECTS
Portland Oregon
Message 5 of 5

You can have voids that cut objects not be in contact with them in a family.  For my door slabs, I have a void for an opening for glazing that's controlled by a yes/no parameter.  It has 2 reference planes set to the same thickness as the door, but separate.  The void is attached to these.  There's a dimension that goes from the front reference plane of the door to the front reference plane of the void.  That distance is controlled by the formula "if(Glazing,0',1')".  If the Glazing box is checked, the void is offset 0" from the door, thereby cutting it.  If the box is not checked, then the void moves 1' out from the door, thereby not cutting it.  Works as type or instance, though both the yes/no box and the formula driven dimension must be the same type.  Would this approach work for you?

A little something I got from somewhere on this forum.  Great resource to use.

Joseph Pratt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report