Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instance Length Family Parameter: Reporting Issue

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
paul.ashley
4674 Views, 10 Replies

Instance Length Family Parameter: Reporting Issue

I'm trying to create a simple 8x2 extrusion that will represent an aluminum band on a building elevation. The length varies by instance but needs to be reportable in a schedule (preferably using the "Length" shared parameter name.

I've never used reporting parameters before but have made an attempt at it in the attached file. The parameter of Length displays the stretched length in the properties box but won't appear in a schedule. The Instance Length parameter will appear in a schedule but doesn't always show the correct value.

I'll note that this family was adapted from one already created by someone else and the Length label cannot be deleted. It's as if the file was at one time a template.  However, I've tried it from scratch,t oo and can't get it to work, sometimes not even being able to get the family to allow stretching the length.

There's obviously a basic concept for this that I'm not grasping.  Any help would be appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

If you want to schedule the length value of a family in a project, you need to associate that length with a shared parameter (instance, length), in the family. Then, in the project, from the schedule, add the shared parameter to the schedule.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 11

Late last night I found an article that suggested to me that what you offered might be the solution.  I'll give it a try today.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 11
luxdesigns
in reply to: paul.ashley

Sorry to bump a post from June, but I have a question about the procedure to associate "length" with a shared paramter.

Any links to how to do this, or could someone point me in the proper direction?

Message 5 of 11
CoreyDaun
in reply to: luxdesigns

To associate the Shared Parameter to the Reporting Parameter, you only need to enter the exact name of the Reporting Parameter as the formula for the Shared Parameter. This will create a direct dependency to that value.

And bump-away! If the question is directly related to the thread, it's better to add to it than to start a new thread.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 11
duncan.lithgow
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Still on the subject of a parameter for length...

In the OOTB Generic Line Based Family Template there is a 'Length' parameter. But it's a family parameter and therefore can't be scheduled. But because there is already a parameter called Length I can't add a proper shared parameter with the same name.

I could just ban the Generic Line Based Family Template and use another one instead, adding the reference line and shared parameter myself ... but that would be silly. What's the right way to fix this silly issue (especially now that our office has quite a few Lines Based Families from that template).

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 11
CoreyDaun
in reply to: duncan.lithgow

I would suggest not naming Shared Parameters with such names as "Length" or "Voltage" because Revit already uses a lot of the simple names like these. Name your Shared Parameters differently enough to reflect the difference, and then in the Schedule, you can rename the Field to anything you wish. As an example, ALL of the Shared Parameters that I create and include in my Families and Projects are prefixed with a "₪" symbol, for example "₪ Length" or "₪ Voltage". This acts as a clear designator to all that this is a Shared Parameter. This symbol does not appear anywhere in the finished project, as it is removed from the Field names in Schedules.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 8 of 11
tim.verstappen
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Hi all,

I'm bumping this topic;

Being new to the world of Revit, i'm encoutering a little difficulty:

I have received a model (central project file) that has specific objects in it that I need to count. I wanted to do this with a schedule, problem is: i can't find the parameter that is shown in the properties screen. More specific: parameter name isn't retrievable from the parameter list in the schedule dialog box.

Perhaps explained in a werid way, feel free to ask more details so I can see how I need to build the question.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 11

If you want to schedule a parameter it needs to be a shared parameter within the family. 

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 10 of 11

Also, if you didn't create the family and it already has shared parameters in it you will need access to the shared parameter file (or export them to your existing shared parameter file)

I've been very general with these replies, if you need more help please ask.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 11 of 11

Hi,

I've tried that, and I guess it works. Problem is now, when I modify this, all the drawn objects, return to a specific length that doesn't correspond to the ones I had. And in addition, it's a central file, that has been delocated, so he can't make the adjustement.

So, he shows the changes, they become smaller and afterwards he indicates that he can't make the adjustements due to the fact that it has been deplaced.

Thanks a lot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report