Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inset dormer/ cricket

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
10356newell
1575 Views, 4 Replies

Inset dormer/ cricket

How to make a dormer or cricket that's inset from edge of roof?  The inset (for a chimney) has me stumped.  Attached screenshot shows my approach using slope arrows but it's not working with the inset.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Jason_S
in reply to: 10356newell

Generate the main roof first.  Then come back and place the cricket on top of it.  Join the roofs using the roof join command and you should have it.

Hope this helps you out.

Message 3 of 5
10356newell
in reply to: 10356newell

No problem creating the main roof first.  Can't make the dormer properly, though, tried every whichway.  First tried modifying the completed main roof with the slope arrows but kept getting an error message ("wall can't stay joined with target").  Tried making a cricket-shaped roof on top of main roof using the slope arrows but the cricket valleys don't locate properly.  Then tried the join roofs method and that gave a strange result. Bugger. Any suggestion on how best to do the dormer?

Message 4 of 5

It can be done, but, apparently, only as two separate roof entities. Slope arrows work well when they are in the outer edge, but not in insets, which is strange. If it helps, see the attached illustration.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 5

Yes I think it's a strange shortcoming also that the slope arrows are nonfunctional in that simple condition.  Meanwhile, I stumbled into another "solution:" a video titled "Roof Crickets in Revit Architecture" at the following:  http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=16389622&siteID=123112#videos .  I say "stumbled into" because that solution was invisible to my searches; it's hidden behind "Amy's videos," or some such.  Nevertheless, I think I may prefer your solution, thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report