Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Incorrect Schema' Error...

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
urprobablyright
26448 Views, 11 Replies

'Incorrect Schema' Error...

I was working on a file earlier today when it failed while processing after I edited a particularly extensive mass. It asked if I wanted to save a recovery file, I said yes, but I am not sure it worked properly (it might have said 'could not be saved' but i clicked 'OK' quickly so i could re-open revit and get on with work)

Anyways, when I went back to start again it said I had to manually recover the file and that I should ask Autodesk support. I looked on forums and they said i should go to the 'open' dialogue box, check the 'audit' box and reopen the file, but after doing this I got a second error message that said something along the lines of "your file has an incorrect schema'.

This project is not part of any collaboration, it's standalone and on my home PC.

I couldn't find any email to write to, or number to call, or FAQ, so here I am.

This is the third damned problem I've had with this file, might have something to do with a **** trojan on my computer chewing into my RAM but whatever the case it's time this crap stopped!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
vector3
in reply to: urprobablyright

Well you didn't say what version of Revit. If 2013, expect more crashes

until the first update.

I think a lot of Revit users have the wrong idea about what crashes mean

and how to deal with them.

Crashes are perfectly normal for Revit. 

When Revit crashes, you simply restart the program and you will be back

on track in seconds.

The real issue with managing crashes is learning how to hit that little save

button every time you satisfactorily finish some little addition to the model

that took you 5 or 10 minutes to complete. So there is actually no reason

to ever complain about Revit crashing, because that's just the way it all works.

Message 3 of 12
zeralot

I'm having the same issue on one of my revit files for 2013. 

Though for me it's only a referance file so it might get fixed once the file is revised.

But if i find a way to fix the issue i'll post it here.

Message 4 of 12
zeralot

I had a quick check on other forums and they could only sugest making a new local file.

So what i did was made a local file of the model, then from the local file I "save as" and made a new central model.

Make a copy of the orignal file just in case something is lost during the above process.

Message 5 of 12
KALH
in reply to: zeralot

One of my users got the internal schema error as well on Revit 2016 SP1.

she had significant work she didnt want to redo and since she wasnt able to save localy or SWC it was a BIG issue.

My solution: 

1. Save as another name the local file
  2. Sync With Central (no error)
  3. Close the renamed local file
  4. Create new local 
  5. Voila all set...

No need to create a new Central file; it is local file related...

A360 Services Early Adopter
Message 6 of 12
JBMJSE
in reply to: KALH

@KALH wrote:

One of my users got the internal schema error as well on Revit 2016 SP1.

she had significant work she didnt want to redo and since she wasnt able to save localy or SWC it was a BIG issue.

My solution: 

1. Save as another name the local file
  2. Sync With Central (no error)
  3. Close the renamed local file
  4. Create new local 
  5. Voila all set...

No need to create a new Central file; it is local file related...

Worked like a charm!  Thanks.

Message 7 of 12
cpalm
in reply to: JBMJSE

As I've posted on one of Kal's threads for a similar topic.

To be safe, I'd have the team audit, compact and maybe even re-path the workshared central file. Then have the entire team create new locals. If there is an element with a corrupted path you'll want to make sure you isolate it. (Note: some people might think this is overkill / un-related, but it takes 2 minutes.)

All of our files our workshared, so we run into this with new hires. This seems to occour when users are either opening from a local file instead of creating a new local (daily!), or they have accidently opened and are working in the central file. Others have pointed out that it can occour if you have a network drop during a STC or create new local process.

I've also had success with havng teams modify their STC settings and browsing to the central file, which allowed them to sync.

More Info:
http://www.revitforum.org/architecture-general-revit-questions/9349-incorrect-schema.html
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?82044-Incorrect-Schema

/c
Message 8 of 12
KALH
in reply to: cpalm

FYI C:

this error happen also on non workshared projects.

I had it twice lately on a stanadlone project and on my Revit Testing on different platform.

If we have to be productive here is to find a solution to prevent it for good!!!

It occured on w7 Pro/W8 Pro W8.1 Pro/Cloud platform on Google Chrome

From local files (see solution above), from standalone projects. 

Deep research on IT Forums (since it happens on any Data Base centric solution) refer to a hardware problem and more specific to your local hard drive since the error prevents to save locally and as others mentioned; in other Revit/Augi forums and also C was kind enough to share some links; the issue is also related to a path at fault to access the data base - here your model.

And to understand better the meaning of the error you need to understand the meaning of a schema:

"A schema is a collection of database objects. A schema is owned by a database and has the same name as that user. Schema objects are logical structures created by users to contain, or reference, their data."

Internal Schema refer to a level of database integration refernced by wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_schema_approach

Hope this helps...

Please give a kuddo if it helped you understand better the issue...Thanks in advance!

A360 Services Early Adopter
Message 9 of 12
cpalm
in reply to: KALH

On non-workshared projects it's been a problem for files kept in a cloud sync service like dropbox.

I'd wait a while before I start blaming a hardware problem here. Especially if the error is replicated on multiple computers. I also posted my thoughts specific to a workshared file as that is what they were having issues with.
Message 10 of 12
ftruslow

I had this problem on Revit 2015,

Turned out the file I was clicking was not the file I thought it was.  It had a .rvt extension but at 12K size, it clearly was no valid Revit file.

Double check your filename!

Message 11 of 12
Viveka_CD

Hi @urprobablyright

Incorrect schematic is in reference to the database schema that a Revit file uses.

Since your error is limited to the existing local file, you can create a new local file to clear the error by going through the process below:

1. Close Revit.
  2. Open Windows Explorer (Windows key +E).Type %temp% in the address bar.
  3. Delete as many files as possible from this folder. Some files may not be able to be deleted if they are in use by other applications on your machine.
  4. Move the local file backups to a different location.
  5. Create a new local file.

If you are seeing this error in a non-workshared file, you can try recovering a previous version by going through the steps on the page below:
Recovering non-workshared files

Error: "Data in file (filename).rvt is corrupt and needs to be manually recovered" 

Try to open the file using the DocFile Viewer tool. If it can't open the file is corrupt and can't be recovered.

Let us know if you were able to resolve the issue or we can troubleshoot further if you send us a journal file.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.

Message 12 of 12
dornbox

I had the same problem and was able to simply do a "Save As / Make Central"  and the new copy was fine. I renamed the file and archived a copy of the original file before saving back over the original just to be safe. The whole process took seconds though and never required me to exit the file or program. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report