Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inches to the fourth power!

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
IMCornish
8712 Views, 24 Replies

Inches to the fourth power!

Can anyone explain why, when I try an open a project file that was previously worked on and saved without incident, should produce a dialog box with the statement 'Inches to the fourth power' having only a 'close' button which after clicked sees no further action in opening the project?  I would point out that I work in metric and the project units on this file are set to the nearest 10mm.

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
DeathByPenguins
in reply to: vector2

ummmm, idk what your smoking but square inches are to the second power(cubed to the third). inches to the fourth power would mean an object with 4 dimensions (un perceivable). 

Message 22 of 25
Alisder.Brown
in reply to: IMCornish

Just so you guys know, this is a USER community. If you have serious technical issues and want a response from Autodesk then you will need to open a ticket with Autodesk via their Technical support.

RE the error message, i have had the same message in v2013. Not 100% sure why but it is essentially a corrupt file, reverting back to a backup (which you should have if you are sensible) resolved the issue for me on 2 seperate occasions. Also, if you are working/opening the file from a network location, copy it down to a local machine, and open it from there (through Revit, dont double click on the file to poen it) this seems to help aswell.

I agree, a list of errors and a their meanings would be ideal but not every error message is a Revit one, it could be a C++ or .NET or windows specific error so i doubt it will ever be done 😞

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 23 of 25
IMCornish
in reply to: Alisder.Brown

As the originator of this thread, almost two years ago, I must say that a USER community does not mean that it should not discuss technical issues, indeed I believe it to be solved and marked it as so within the community. Opening a ticket with Autodesk is unnecessary and probably more long-winded in my experience.
The fact that it has become an enduring thread says to me that Autodesk should have looked at it long ago, without a ticket.
Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 24 of 25
jmackniak
in reply to: IMCornish

Since we upgraded to  2014 we have not seen the error.

Message 25 of 25
drewx11
in reply to: vector2

Sounds like you're wrong, because inches squared would be inches to the second power, not inches to the fourth power. What inches to the fourth power implies is higher dimensional space. The problem lies in Revit's inability to process information in higher dimensions, which are above our human perception. In mathematics, four dimensional space is a geometric space with four dimensions. It is typically meant to mean four dimensional euclidean space. It has been studied by mathematicians and philosophers for over two centuries, both for its own interest and for the insights it offered into mathematics and related fields. Algebraically, it is generated by applying the rules of vectors and coordinate geometry to a space with four dimensions. In particular a vector with four elements (a 4-tuple) can be used to represent a position in four-dimensional space. The space is a Euclidean space, so has a metric and norm, and so all directions are treated as the same: the additional dimension is indistinguishable from the other three. In modern physics, space and time are unified in a four-dimensional Minkowski continuum called spacetime, whose metric treats the time dimension differently from the three spatial dimensions (see below for the definition of the Minkowski metric/pairing). Spacetime is not a Euclidean space.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report