Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inches to the fourth power!

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
IMCornish
8659 Views, 24 Replies

Inches to the fourth power!

Can anyone explain why, when I try an open a project file that was previously worked on and saved without incident, should produce a dialog box with the statement 'Inches to the fourth power' having only a 'close' button which after clicked sees no further action in opening the project?  I would point out that I work in metric and the project units on this file are set to the nearest 10mm.

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
vector2
in reply to: IMCornish

'Inches to the fourth power' sounds like square inch to me.

Message 3 of 25
robincapperw
in reply to: vector2

Revit revealing it's imperial heritage?

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2011/03/internal-imperial-units.html

So sad they started with a measurement system most of the world has abandoned!

Robin
Autodesk AEC Collection 2020 - PC: HP Z6 | Win 10 64 | Xeon 3014 | 64 GB ram | Quadro P5000 - Tablet: Surface 3 Pro i5-4300u | Win 10 Ent 1703 64 | 8GB ram - Phone: Samsung S21 Ultra | Android 11
RobiNZ CAD Blog | LinkedIn
Message 4 of 25
vector2
in reply to: robincapperw

@robincapperw wrote:

So sad they started with a measurement system most of the world has abandoned!

It's a measurement system used in the USA. Revit was born in the USA

so that's the primary measurement system it uses. But Revit can also

use measurement systems native to other countries. And it's not that

difficult to translate measurements and languages from one country to

another.

Message 5 of 25
IMCornish
in reply to: vector2

Well thanks chaps!  I did not think that I was going to start a discussion about imperial versus metric measurement.  In case you missed it, the crux of my problem is that I cannot open the project.  Secondry is why I should get this cryptic message.  Any ideas please.

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 6 of 25
Alfredo_Medina

One user in another forum commented that he had seen this error message, and that the reason for it was insufficient disk space in the server to open that file. I hope it helps.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 25
Joe.Charpentier

You may have a corrupt file.  Does the file size seem reasonable?

You don't say if the file is workshared and if more than one person is seeing this error, but you could try opening it detached from central and auditing it.

If that doesn't work, you should contact support and see if they can help you open it.

Joe 

Message 8 of 25
IMCornish
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I think that you must be right Alfredo.  I opened it with ease on a workstation so can only think that my laptop needs a little more memory.  thanks for you help.

I would still be interested why this message should be generated.  Is there a published guide to the dialogues that Revit might produce, perhaps the programme developers?

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 9 of 25
Alfredo_Medina

I have not seen a list of error messages and their meaning. This error message is very strange, but at least now we now that it is caused by insufficient disk space.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 10 of 25
loboarch

@IMCornish wrote:

Is there a published guide to the dialogues that Revit might produce, perhaps the programme developers?

There is not any kind of published guide to all of the possible error messages that Revit can produce.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 11 of 25
jill

I am now having the same issue with a file (relatively small file - 11MB).  none of the other files i am using (larger 55MB to 100MB) are having the same issue.  I have tried having another user in another office open the file, it gives the same error dialogue box on the alternate computer -  "Inches to the fourth power" . did you experience this? or do you have any recommendations as to how to fix/resolve this error?

Message 12 of 25
IMCornish
in reply to: jill

My issue was satisfied by using a more powerful computer to work the project but why your small project should behave in this way is a mystery if your large project files are not also.  Perhaps your opertaing system is not compatible, though I am only guessing.

One of the other guys might be able to shed some light on this issue.  I would still like to to have a comprehensive answer as to why this error warning is generated by Revit then we might have an accurate solution.  Surely someone at Autodesk must know?

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 13 of 25
jill

I went back and grabbed the back-up of the file and it was fine.  I made the exact edits and saved the file.  the back-up is still working fine.  I am not sure but i think this proves that it is a fatal error message.  I wish i could get in touch with a tech support person from autodesk about this but. alas, they are elusive. 

thanks for the feedback! 

Message 14 of 25
jill

I should also note that both of the computers we tried this error sending file on exceed the software requirements published for the Revit 2013 version that we are running.  Again, I think it is just a software issue that needs to be resolved. 

Message 15 of 25
IMCornish

Good to know that you have got over the problem and yes tech support guys are elusive but Alfredo_Medina might have some ideas. Perhaps he will have some ideas.

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 16 of 25
rightdawn

Okay,

Our office just ran into a major issue with a project file that was converted to 2013 about a month ago. We got to a point with 4 users out of a central model where once each of us closed out of the model no one was able to open the file. No error just lots of waiting and anxiety. 5-6 hours later and many hair pulling moments later, a co-worker opened the file at home with no problems and sent it back to the office. This file once detached from central gave the "inches to the forth power" message. Once this file was audited it finally opened. 

That was our work around, but the problem still makes no sense. Whatever the issue, we came close to loosing an entire model and starting from scratch for a 90% deadline in a day! 

Autodesk has to fix this!

Message 17 of 25
jmackniak
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I don't believe it has anything to do with storage space. I receive the same error and we are operating REVIT on a network.

Message 18 of 25
jmackniak
in reply to: jmackniak

Hello Autodesk,

What are you doing about this error message? Is there a known fix? Hello???

Mack

Message 19 of 25
jill

I went back to a previous version. I was unsuccessful in finding a solution or anyone who was able to help me find one. --
Message 20 of 25
IMCornish

It really would be nice if someone from Autodesk acknowledged this problem and gave a satisfactory reason why it has been silent on the issue.  I first raised it in June last year so is anyone listening please?

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report