Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing logo to titleblock

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1728 Views, 8 Replies

Importing logo to titleblock

I am trying to set up our standard company title block and logo for use in Revit. When I import the standard titleblock from our Autocad layouts the logo does not copy in correctly and gives an error that the "lines are too short." The logo itself is quite a complex set of intricately shaped hatches. I have tried recreating the logo using filled regions but revit will not create the linework to make these regions as it still comes up with "line too short" errors. I have even tried importing the logo at a larger size to enable me to trace it without this error, but then I end up with a logo that is far too big and there is no way to scale it back down.

Is there any way of drawing intricate small scale linework in Revit as I am pretty sure that my directors will be extremely unhappy that we are unable to use this software that we have spent thousands on because it can't draw our logo 😉
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Scott_Womack
in reply to: Anonymous

One quick way around this is to use a jpg of the logo in the title block. The only caution here is that the image used, must be the correct size. Using A larger image, and scaling it down will drastically affect the performance in a negative way.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Yeah I had thought of this, but didnt want to do it for the reasons that you state, I am not keen about having loads of Jpgs being used in our drawings if possible.

I still cant believe that there is no way to draw small detail in Revit?
Message 4 of 9
Scott_Womack

You could create a family of the logo. In the Family, set the file to be measuring to the 1/256" That is a limit of Revit, that a line cannot be longer than that. Revit also has some problems with VERY short lines, due to the WYSIWYG on-screen display.
Message 5 of 9
melarch

Try screen capturing and importing your image/logo with a program such as SnagIt in jpg, jpeg, bmp or png format. If this does not work then import your AutoCAD logo into the Revit Titleblock family file and trace over it with Revit lines and region fills.

Mel Persin, AIA
AEC Technology Consultant
Technology to Visualize and Realize Solutions
MasterGraphics, Inc.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

As above, I want to try and not use jpegs. And the second sugestion is exactly what I am trying to do but with no sucess 😉
Message 7 of 9
jfmonod

Hi,

There is hope !

I have been fighting with this stupid issue for 2 days and have now hit on a solution that has me pounding my head on the desk.
First off can I just suggest to the factory workers that this "line is too short" error is waaayy to dumb to be real. I mean seriously.

Anyway I was trying to export our company logo and the hatches wouldn't come through. When I tried tracing it it said lines are too short (and so "filled regions" wouldn't work either) and finally when I tried exploding it out of frustration half of it would get erased in a flurry of "line segments are too short" errors.

So I scaled the logo up by a factor of 100 in AutoCAD before exporting it to Revit. Lo and behold it all comes through fine, hatches and all. Then I use the resize tool and scale it back down to its original size in Revit. The fact that it scales back down without generating the lines errors again lets me believe that it's a bull@#&! error.

I also tried the Jpeg thing as suggested here and couldn't believe that this was what people call progress. But there is hope after all.

Keep the ball rolling !

JF
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Hi JF

Sounds like you have sorted it now! But in the end what I ended up doing was to put in a support request through our subscription, and to be fair the guy sorted it for me even though the solution was a bit of a round about way of doing things to say the least.

What he ended up doing was to take our logo into AutoCAD Architecture, convert the hatch to AEC polygons with which you are able to increase the distance between the vertices. He then converted the AEC polygon back into polylines re-created the hatch again and finally imported it back into Revit.

So there you have it the Autodesk solution, if you want to draw small detail in Revit, seems to be:

Buy a copy of AutoCAD Architecture! 😉

I have to say I think you may be right about the "lines too small" error being a bit over keen in certain situations, particularly if it lets you draw the line and displays it on screen but still insists it can do it! very frustrating!
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

"Lines are to small". This limitation should be removed from Revit. Trying
to convert logos is not the only thing that one needs to do in Revit. It is
also converting details from AutoCAD such as window and curtain wall
details. I usually convert these details with very short segments and have
to resort to interpolating (omitting short segments) linework so that Revit
can create the filled regions properly.

Just venting my furstrations,
Leo

wrote in message news:5624897@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi JF

Sounds like you have sorted it now! But in the end what I ended up doing was
to put in a support request through our subscription, and to be fair the guy
sorted it for me even though the solution was a bit of a round about way of
doing things to say the least.

What he ended up doing was to take our logo into AutoCAD Architecture,
convert the hatch to AEC polygons with which you are able to increase the
distance between the vertices. He then converted the AEC polygon back into
polylines re-created the hatch again and finally imported it back into
Revit.

So there you have it the Autodesk solution, if you want to draw small detail
in Revit, seems to be:

Buy a copy of AutoCAD Architecture! 😉

I have to say I think you may be right about the "lines too small" error
being a bit over keen in certain situations, particularly if it lets you
draw the line and displays it on screen but still insists it can do it! very
frustrating!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report