Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

importing files: PDF, Excel, Word, etc.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
474 Views, 14 Replies

importing files: PDF, Excel, Word, etc.

How can I import these types of files?
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

According to tech support, Revit does not have this ability. They say there has been a great cry for this feature, but Revit developers claim to have bigger fish to fry. You can print your documents to a jpeg and then use the File > Import/Link > Image command. Hopefully Revit will have the OLE capabilities in the future.
Message 3 of 15
jliston

How can they have a bigger fish to fry than helping customers make production? Is that not the purpose of switching to revit? I thought the goal here was for the firms buying Autodesk products was to make money so we could buy more Autodesk products. If we cannot make money through production how can we buy more software?

Joe
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

vhfan2u wrote:

> How can I import these types of files?

DotSoft has developed a third party add-on to handle Excel spreadsheets
including linked update. If interest is sufficient tools for the
remaining file formats you mentioned could be added.

http://www.dotsoft.com/revit

Terry
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

Joe,
There are 1000s of Revit users and all have slightly different needs which they individually feel are essential for being productive. For you importing PDF, Excel, Word files are a productivity issue. For me, I wish Revit would have more than simple text formatting capabilities in text fields. Revit can't even do numbered lists--so when you add another item to a list you have to manually renumber the list. I also wish Revit had cross reference capabilities within and between text fields. Revit tech support gives me the same response that many, many users wish to have more powerful text formatting capabilities, but it is not at the top of the Revit "to do" list.

If you give the DotSoft a test drive, I would like to hear your reactions.
Warner
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

I agree with the text formatting, or lack thereof. We have tagen to using Key schedules for groups of numbered notes.
Message 7 of 15
jliston

I do not disagree with you on the text formatting issue. I agree that it sucks. I cannot even get a simple set of general notes with numbers without first formatting it in Word, then coping and pasting to notepad and then pasting to Revit. I am having an issue with the items that are being given top priority. My biggest issue if the lack of a simple step footing and wall to follow the step footing. I have used more posted workarounds that sooner or later would end up with a "Gotcha". Especially when you try to schedule some of the cobbled items. 😞

I have used the DotSoft XL2CAD in Autocad and it works well. I used to do door & window schedules in plain vanilla Autocad for several years. I would recommend it.
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

For just a set of numbered notes, try using a Key Schedule. Especially once you get the notes typed, or copy/pasted in, it becomes "potable" from project to project. Plus you can copy/paste the notes directly out of AutoCAD. And the numbering stays in a separate column from the notes, as you re-size it. You can turn off all lines, so it just looks like a group of notes.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

Steve,
Thanks for the Key note suggestion for numbered notes. I would not have thought of that. I wish Revit would allow it to point to more than one keynote ASCII file. Not having thought about your suggestion much yet, I don't know if I like the idea of putting "plain" general notes into the key file along with all the CSI-organized notes.

Updating door, window & other schedules was one of the highest frequency sources of errors on drawing. With Revit's ability to automatically update these schedules as doors, etc are added, removed & changed in the 3D model, this error generator has been eliminated.

In my general notes I desire the abiltiy to make dynamic cross-references (e.g., All base plates are welded to the columns as per View V on Page P with the exception of Col C which must to offset as per View VV on Page PP in order to provide sufficient clearance for the ...)

Thanks for the suggestion,
Warner
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

I was not suggesting Key Notes, but a Key Schedule. IT is a special type of schedule that works great for general notes.
Message 11 of 15
jliston

Could you expand upon this a little more Scott? I am still learning about all the facets of Revit. I went to the View>New>Schedule/Quantities. In the New Schedule Dbox, I selected and selected OK. In the Schedule Properties Dbox I selected Keynote and clicked ADD-->.
Then I clicked Add parameter... and selected Shared Parameters. After that I ran into some interesting issues.

Thanks in advance

Joe
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

I'm not sure what you are asking. Again, I am not advocating the Use of Key notes at all. Use the Top Menu... View\New\Schedule/Quantities, and then select some weird catagory like Furniture System, or check the box in the bottom Left for All Disciplines, and select some odd catagory.

Then, before finalizing, Click in the second box down, for Schedule Keys. Then the OK button. Add in the Comments field, and hit OK. Now in what appears to be a nearly blank schedule view, in the lowest tool bar click on the New Button. Now you can type in your, or paste in your note. You can then use the Automatic numbering each time you add a line for another note.
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

Attached is a zip file with a session from AU 2007
that explains the process of creating a key schedule. It goes into more
detail the what's under help in revit and it starts on page 11. There is
also an example revit file that you can view.  There are a number of
useful tips as well in the document. Hope this helps.

craig D. VanDevere, AIA

style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Could
you expand upon this a little more Scott? I am still learning about all the
facets of Revit. I went to the View>New>Schedule/Quantities. In the New
Schedule Dbox, I selected and selected OK. In the Schedule
Properties Dbox I selected Keynote and clicked ADD-->. Then I clicked Add
parameter... and selected Shared Parameters. After that I ran into some
interesting issues. Thanks in advance Joe
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

Hi Craig;

This is what I have been looking for for my often used notes. Wow this is great. Thanks.

Ray
Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

vhfan2u wrote:

> How can I import these types of files?

DotSoft has added a path for PDF files to be inserted ...

http://www.dotsoft.com/revit

Terry

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report