Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing DWG?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
LicataDArch
2083 Views, 8 Replies

Importing DWG?

The DWG seems to import well but it imports as one big object. I would like to get it to where I could edit the DWG in revit but when I go to explode everything it says " Import Instance can not be exploded because it contains more than 10,000 elements". Is there any way around this or do I have to import smaller DWG's?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
LicataDArch
in reply to: LicataDArch

Any help would be great.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

That is the current limit for exploding .dwg. You have two approaches.
1. Use an older copy of AutoCAD to edit the .dwg.
2. Upgrade from Revit to Revit Series, as that has a copy of AutoCAD
included.

David Haynes, AIA
Ideate, Inc.
www.ideateinc.com

wrote in message news:5488696@discussion.autodesk.com...
The DWG seems to import well but it imports as one big object. I would like
to get it to where I could edit the DWG in revit but when I go to explode
everything it says " Import Instance can not be exploded because it contains
more than 10,000 elements". Is there any way around this or do I have to
import smaller DWG's?
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Sorry you can't edit it. You can trace over it to create your model which is
what I do with exisitng projects that I started in ADT. I just use an
imported DWG as a background.

wrote in message news:5488696@discussion.autodesk.com...
The DWG seems to import well but it imports as one big object. I would like
to get it to where I could edit the DWG in revit but when I go to explode
everything it says " Import Instance can not be exploded because it contains
more than 10,000 elements". Is there any way around this or do I have to
import smaller DWG's?
Message 5 of 9
CPiper

Revit was built as a 3D modeling program and as such you are presumably using it for that. Exploding a dwg with many thousands of items would generally defeat the purpose of Revit since the point is to draft in the 3rd dimension not just the 2nd. Exploding a 2D dwg file will give you a ton of 2D items, but will do nothing for modeling the drawing. Not to mention the database structure of Revit is very different than AutoCAD and what might be a very manageable file size in ACAD can get way out of hand in Revit if you have too many items in it.

All of that said My suggestion is to underlay the dwg from the "file" menu and the "import/link cad format" option. This way you can still use the ACAD drawing as a base and trace over it. Revit gives you a handy little copy tool that allows you to simply click on a line and trace the entire items all at once, works great for creating walls, etc. in a hurry.

I would recommend linking the file rather than importing it. This way it works more like an "xref" than a "block" speaking in AutoCAD terms, and will allow you to make changes to the dwg underlay and push them through to Revit. I would also consider the "this view only" option so that you don't have a cad underlay in a bunch of different views, which can really slow down the system. Linking the file also gives you the added functionality of being able to turn the file on and off in visibility graphics (type "VG" on the keyboard, and select imported categories).

If for some reason you still need to explode that DWG:

While I wouldn't recommend it, you could WBlock out certain logical sections of your DWG file and import each separately. Run the audit command on the new dwg block file that was created to see how many items are located in the file prior to importing it to Revit. Be sure to pick one common "anchor point" and include it with each block so that you can put your model back together in revit.

Cameron Piper
BWBR Architects
St Paul, MN Message was edited by: CPiper
Message 6 of 9
shabik
in reply to: CPiper

Btw, for me the model only have perhaps 30-100 lines or so but it says it has 70037 elements which is so far from the truth. I tried selecting only the lines and wblock it in cad but still same, it always seems to be 70037 elements too which is also strange.

Message 7 of 9
shabik
in reply to: CPiper

Hi again, turned out there was something in mininininininininininini scale hidden in cad. So problem solved for me 😄

Message 8 of 9
mpwuzhere
in reply to: shabik

Congrats....I think you won the award for the oldest necro post....

Message 9 of 9
bimscape

As a side note,

When you explode a dwg in Revit- it converts it to Revit native items (ie lines, filled regions, etc)- so really you are not "editing the dwg in Revit"- just "Revitising it". Thought it was worth the clarification.

Kind regards,
Ian

Author of The Complete Beginners' Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (free online course)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report