Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing AutoCAD Plant 3D 2013 content into Revit Architectural 2013

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
rworland
1892 Views, 1 Reply

Importing AutoCAD Plant 3D 2013 content into Revit Architectural 2013

I am using Plant Design Suite Ultimate 2013.  I was awarded a Project with an Architectural Firm using Revit. My job is to model up all of the process equipment into 3D, and then route utility and process piping to all equipment for a Milk Processing Plant.  I am receiving some equipment from suppliers as Inventor 2013, and the rest I am modeling up using Plant 3D (such as pumps, tanks, etc.).  The challenges I have had so deal so far are file size issues and exporting the content for use in Revit.

To deal with file size I chose to use the Autodesk exchange method of exporting model content from Inventor, and then create the equipment as Plant 3D by importing AEC method.  This seemed to greatly reduce the file sizes of the equipment, goal one achieved.  Now I have my Plant 3D equipment located in AutoCAD relative to the building.  [Note:The Building content is an export from Revit to AutoCAD 2013, and we are all using Origin to Origin method for coordination]

Before reducing the file size by the method above, we were exchanging data in native AutoCAD 2013 files.  The process was straight forward,and yes it took a few minutes to load a linked AutoCAD file to Revit, but once it was complete it seemed to work.  However, there were many groans from the architect that the files were growing in size so much that it was impracticle to work with.  Also, we still didn't have any pipe, only major pieces of equipment, and a long way to go so we knew we were in trouble.

Now I am using the Plant Suite 2013's Revit Structural, and importing the AutoCAD content created from Plant 3D directly into Revit.  It seemed to work fine on my end.  I can open and see my equipment from AutoCAD in Revit, however the architect is not seeing my content at all.  So, we have discussed the issues in great lengths, including topics such as creating Families of each part in Revit, and basically rebuilding the equipment by placing each component into the Revit model in it's correct position.  I have not been successful with this method yet.  I admit, I am not a strong user of Revit, but there must be an easier way to solve this issue.

1. Why can't the architect see my Plant 3D content as linked AutoCAD after creating the components from Plant?  I can see them in Revit Structural, but when they link my Revit project to theirs, they see nothing?
  2. What is going to happen when I start adding pipe?  I can not rebuild the pipe as Revit Family components.

Signed,

One frustrated Plant 3D user

rworland@dsidsc.com

ron.worland@gmail.com

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Chris.Aquino
in reply to: rworland

I would check the linked file settings. is it Attachment or Overlay?

You may also want to review the following blog post:

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/04/importing-3d-geometry-from-autocad-mep-into-revit-m...

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report