Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing an irregular surface and using it to cut a wall

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
samu3
604 Views, 4 Replies

Importing an irregular surface and using it to cut a wall

Hello Everybody,

I have a fairly complex irregular surface model that originally came from Microstation. I have it as sat version 7 and dwg. My goal is to import it to Revit (Building design suite 2013, so I have architecture/structure/systems available) and use the surface to cut a regular wall that was created in Revit.

When I insert the surface, it comes in as an Import Symbol. I understand that I will need to change it to a cuttable family type, but do not know how. Also, I am unsure if I can use a surface to cut, or whether it needs to be a solid instead?

I was also trying to extrude a void ending to one side of the surface in order for it to cut any solid objects (such as walls) that appear on that side in the project, but was unable to accomplish this.

I would really appreciate help on this! Thanks!

Samu

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: samu3

Please post an image. Most of the times, the form or surface is possible in Revit. Forms imported from other applications don't work as well as the forms created in Revit, in regards to section views, plan views, cut and join, parameters, etc...

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 5
samu3
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks for your reply. In the attached picture, on the left you can see the laser scanned surface and the slab created in Revit. On the right is the desired outcome: to cut out the part of the slab that is outside the surface. This is something I am able to do in Inventor, but I would like to know how to do it in Revit to avoid the round trip. Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: samu3

It might be possible in Revit, if you could have a series of splines representing the main curves that make up the curved form. Revit does not have a tool that automatically finds the volume that results of the intersection of two forms, as in other applications. So, we first join two forms, then extract the lines we need from the joint, to create a new form, in this case, the new form that defines the boundaries of the slab.

1-26-2013 1-02-34 PM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 5
samu3
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thank you so much Alfredo! I will try your method and let you know how it works out 🙂 Thanks again!

Samu

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report