Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMPORTED DWG - CAN'T FIND- LOCATE IN PROJECT

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
OXARCHITECTS
59392 Views, 13 Replies

IMPORTED DWG - CAN'T FIND- LOCATE IN PROJECT

Please see SCREENSHOT VG.  I imported an AutoCAD file call A-LAN-CEN-XP-01.dwg. Now I would like to delete the drawing from the project.  I can't find it anywhere in the project. It's lost.   Do I have to go through every project view and every display setting per view to seek out the location of this .dwg in order to select and delete it?  Or is there another way? 

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
rosskirby
in reply to: OXARCHITECTS

Did you insert the CAD or did you link it?  If you linked it, go to Manage tab --> Manage Links --> CAD Formats and Remove the link.

If you inserted the CAD file directly (shame on you), go to Manage tab --> Purge Unused, click Select None, then scroll down to where you see the name of the file.  If it's not being used in the project, you'll be able to see it here.  Just check the box next to it and click OK.

If you don't see it there, then there's still an instance of it somewhere in your project, and you'll have to hunt it down.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 14
OXARCHITECTS
in reply to: rosskirby

"shame on you". I know, I know.  I feel the shame.  Now I know better.  Thank you for the reply.  Your suggestion to purge the file worked.  It was burried in a group. 

Message 4 of 14
rosskirby

Glad that worked out for you. The "shame on you" was only half-serious. I've imported CAD in a pinch, when I didn't have time to do it the proper way: link and re-create.
Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 14
Ammwalma
Message 6 of 14
Robert
in reply to: Ammwalma

Sorry for digging up this thread but apparently I still couldn't find imported DWGs easily even in Revit 2018 ...

It was quite frustrating because except from a name under Imported Categories, I couldn't see that dwg anywhere else. Searching through views or even groups as OXARCHITECTS did wasn't an option because my model had hundreds of these!

Tried Ammawalma's solution above but that plugin apparently purges ALL imported DWGs while I wanted to check each one first to see if it was really obsolete and needed to be removed.

Using this instead as it meets my requirements:

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=3030640795772631843&appLang=en&os=Win64

Does anyone know a better way that doesn't involve a Revit addin?

Message 7 of 14
mpwuzhere
in reply to: Robert

Since it comes with Revit now, you can do it in Dynamo...(Check out post here)

Message 8 of 14
Robert
in reply to: mpwuzhere

Thanks mpwuzhere. I still don't know how to use Dynamo... It looks quite difficult for someone like me. I normally look for good Revit addins 🙂

Message 9 of 14
DXRodriguez
in reply to: rosskirby

You can also get the trial version of Ideate Explorer, its a great tool to hunt down all (every) element on the model.

https://ideatesoftware.com/ideateexplorer

I know this response is a bit late but just wanted to throw it out there for future reference.

Message 10 of 14

Hey, I tried ideate explrer as you suggested but it didn't show any trace of the 2 dwg files I want to delete. My stripped out file is attached. Any idea?

DWG.JPG

Message 11 of 14

You have Dwgs in some of your families mate.

Just scanned your file with Cad File Explorer to find them. See screenshots for names.

Open family > purge unused > reload into project > purge unused again!

r1.JPG

r2.JPG

Message 12 of 14

It works! Thank you so much!!

Is that a Revit add-in you used?

Message 13 of 14

Sorry for late reply mate. Crazy week!

Yes, got it from the Revit app store. Also good for deleting exploded cad.

You won't need it though if always remember to purge & purge & purge all families!!

Message 14 of 14
pieterdewaal

This is quite an old topic, but something that still hasn't been resolved with a fully functioning, free, or OOTB, solution. The easiest solution would be to install the excellent, and free, pyRevit suite and run the following command: pyRevit->Project->Links->List DWGs->In Model

This generates a command window which lists all linked DWGs as well as imported DWGs. Additionally, a button is created which not only allows you to select the DWG, but it opens the view it is linked to (assuming set to a view only i.e. 2D DWG). 3D DWGs will also be selected.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report