Revit Architecture

Revit Architecture

Mitchel Stangl
Message 1 of 13 (393 Views)

Imported 3d DWG Model, Section not working

393 Views, 12 Replies
11-02-2004 02:41 PM
I have a 3d surface model from autoCAD which I imported into Revit. I can view it any view and control visibility of the orginal layers. All good.

My problem is that the level and section views do not work on the model. The view are created, but do not clip through the geometry. I'm hoping that my problem is a missing switch.

Revit looks great. I really want to use it to create drawings of my 3d models, and maybe use to model the architectual elements of my projects. Much of my work is industrial equipment.

Thanks

Mitchel stangl

Thanks
Gerd Bremer
Message 2 of 13 (393 Views)

Re: Imported 3d DWG Model, Section not working

11-02-2004 06:07 PM in reply to: Mitchel Stangl
Hi Mitchel
Are you trying to use the autocad DWG for a reason otherwise would suggest you create Revit Terrain

Cheers Gerd
Mitchel Stangl
Message 3 of 13 (393 Views)

11-02-2004 08:34 PM in reply to: Mitchel Stangl
I not talking about terrain. I model industrial plants and would like to use Revit to assist in modelling, but mainly to created drawings.

Please see the attached jpg of a typical model.
*Scott Davis
Message 4 of 13 (393 Views)

11-02-2004 10:27 PM in reply to: Mitchel Stangl
You must import AutoCAD ACIS solids into Revit (only 7.0. wont work in 6.1 or earlier) in order for them to be cut in section. 3D surfaces cannot be cut by Revit. "Mitchel Stangl" wrote in message news:19941119.1099435292665.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I have a 3d surface model from autoCAD which I imported into Revit. I can view it any view and control visibility of the orginal layers. All good. > > My problem is that the level and section views do not work on the model. The view are created, but do not clip through the geometry. I'm hoping that my problem is a missing switch. > > Revit looks great. I really want to use it to create drawings of my 3d models, and maybe use to model the architectual elements of my projects. Much of my work is industrial equipment. > > Thanks > > Mitchel stangl > > > Thanks
*Greg Cashen
Message 5 of 13 (393 Views)

11-02-2004 11:10 PM in reply to: Mitchel Stangl
You should be able to import the solid into a generic family and then load it into the project... it will cut in section, etc. "Scott Davis" wrote in message news:4188795b$1_3@newsprd01... > You must import AutoCAD ACIS solids into Revit (only 7.0. wont work in 6.1 > or earlier) in order for them to be cut in section. 3D surfaces cannot be > cut by Revit. > > "Mitchel Stangl" wrote in message > news:19941119.1099435292665.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... >> I have a 3d surface model from autoCAD which I imported into Revit. I > can view it any view and control visibility of the orginal layers. All > good. >> >> My problem is that the level and section views do not work on the model. > The view are created, but do not clip through the geometry. I'm hoping > that my problem is a missing switch. >> >> Revit looks great. I really want to use it to create drawings of my 3d > models, and maybe use to model the architectual elements of my projects. > Much of my work is industrial equipment. >> >> Thanks >> >> Mitchel stangl >> >> >> Thanks > >
Mitchel Stangl
Message 6 of 13 (393 Views)

11-03-2004 05:54 AM in reply to: Mitchel Stangl
So there is no hope for surface models?
*Greg Cashen
Message 7 of 13 (393 Views)

11-03-2004 07:22 AM in reply to: Mitchel Stangl
As I said, import it into a Revit family and insert that into your Revit project. "Mitchel Stangl" wrote in message news:26920469.1099490073387.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > So there is no hope for surface models?
*Jeffrey McGrew
Message 8 of 13 (393 Views)

11-03-2004 09:07 AM in reply to: Mitchel Stangl
We do this with Sketchup! models all the time. Import it into an in-place family, and if it's in the right catagory (i.e. walls) it will get cut in section, even tho it's a surface model. Jeffrey Greg Cashen wrote: > As I said, import it into a Revit family and insert that into your Revit > project. > > > "Mitchel Stangl" wrote in message > news:26920469.1099490073387.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > >>So there is no hope for surface models? > > >
Mitchel Stangl
Message 9 of 13 (393 Views)

11-04-2004 09:58 AM in reply to: Mitchel Stangl
These models are Sketchup models. I do not see how to import them into a family though.

I'm just exploring Revit for the first time now.

It would be great to talk about this with you. Is that possible

Thanks
*Jeffrey McGrew
Message 10 of 13 (393 Views)

11-06-2004 11:19 AM in reply to: Mitchel Stangl
Sure! What you do is this: under the modeling design bar (the sliding thing on the left) at the bottom there is a button labeled 'create'. This allows you to make what's called an 'in-place' family. It's a custom family built in-place for one-off things within a project. So, you first click that tool, and then Revit asks you what category you want your new in-place family to be in. This is so Revit knows how to deal with what you're about to make. Give it the Wall category. Now you'll see the Design Bar change into the Family bar (again, the thing on the left). Here you could freeform model whatever you wanted, and Revit would think it a wall. But all you want to do at this point is import your Sketchup model, so simply go to File -> Import -> DWG/DXF/DGN on the menu, select the exported DXF/DWG from Sketchup, and then import it & place it (if you don't have the option set for it to be automatically placed or something). Now click 'finish' at the bottom of the Family Bar, and Revit will exit the Family Editor & return you to your project. Now you've got a DWG model 'wrapped' inside of this in-place wall family, and it will behave like a wall- i.e. get cut in section, plan, and be able to generate elevations. You can also now pick linework within & snap to this imported model to generate a 'real' building within Revit... Jeffrey McGrew Mitchel Stangl wrote: > These models are Sketchup models. I do not see how to import them into a family though. > > I'm just exploring Revit for the first time now. > > It would be great to talk about this with you. Is that possible > > Thanks
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.