Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import text into Revit

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
fotheringaygardens
4472 Views, 12 Replies

Import text into Revit

I would like to know how Revit deals with text, I have had a search and not found any info.

We need to have a great deal of text in the form of notes on the side of our drawings, we would like to have the text stored in a text file or a word document so that non Revit users can make amendements.

Does Revit have an import feature the way AutoCAD does to get text into a file.

TIA
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

At present Revit does not support Object Linking (OLE) and Embedding with any Microsoft applications other than Auto?CAD DWG. Even the OLE of DWG's is handled through the Import tool under the FILE pull down menu the Revit as a special situation.

So what are the ways you can import large amounts of text? Only through Windows cut, copy and paste. Even then the text is pasted into Revit as single line text.

The Text features in Revit leave a lot to be desired and many of us have requested improved text tools for inputting text directly into Revit, such as multiline (paragraph) text tool and the ability to OLE word processing and spread sheet documents into a Revit model or drafting view to be placed on sheets.

Mel Persin, Architect and CAD Consultant/Trainer
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: fotheringaygardens

There is a paragraph text tool. Click to start your text box, drag to the other corner of the text box, then let go. Voila, text box. If you create a text box, and then cut-n-paste from another application into the text box, you will get a paragraph of text, not a single line. "melarch" wrote in message news:30630952.1093521446924.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > At present Revit does not support Object Linking (OLE) and Embedding with any Microsoft applications other than Auto?CAD DWG. Even the OLE of DWG's is handled through the Import tool under the FILE pull down menu the Revit as a special situation. > > So what are the ways you can import large amounts of text? Only through Windows cut, copy and paste. Even then the text is pasted into Revit as single line text. > > The Text features in Revit leave a lot to be desired and many of us have requested improved text tools for inputting text directly into Revit, such as multiline (paragraph) text tool and the ability to OLE word processing and spread sheet documents into a Revit model or drafting view to be placed on sheets. > > Mel Persin, Architect and CAD Consultant/Trainer
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

What about tabs and indents that are coming in from Word? Do I lose them? What happens if I need a excel spreadsheet in Revit? How do you do that? "Scott Davis" wrote in message news:412dfe52$1_1@newsprd01... > There is a paragraph text tool. Click to start your text box, drag to the > other corner of the text box, then let go. Voila, text box. If you create > a text box, and then cut-n-paste from another application into the text box, > you will get a paragraph of text, not a single line. > > "melarch" wrote in message > news:30630952.1093521446924.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > At present Revit does not support Object Linking (OLE) and Embedding with > any Microsoft applications other than Auto?CAD DWG. Even the OLE of DWG's > is handled through the Import tool under the FILE pull down menu the Revit > as a special situation. > > > > So what are the ways you can import large amounts of text? Only through > Windows cut, copy and paste. Even then the text is pasted into Revit as > single line text. > > > > The Text features in Revit leave a lot to be desired and many of us have > requested improved text tools for inputting text directly into Revit, such > as multiline (paragraph) text tool and the ability to OLE word processing > and spread sheet documents into a Revit model or drafting view to be placed > on sheets. > > > > Mel Persin, Architect and CAD Consultant/Trainer > >
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Unfortunately, you will lose your formatting, such as indents and tabs. We hope for a more robust text editor in 7.0. Excel spread sheets cannot be brought in natively. Some have printed to PDF, converted to JPG, then inserted the image....not the most elegant solution, but it works. Again, we hope for more support in this area in 7.0. "Jarod" wrote in message news:412f996e$1_2@newsprd01... > What about tabs and indents that are coming in from Word? Do I lose them? > > What happens if I need a excel spreadsheet in Revit? How do you do that? > > > "Scott Davis" wrote in message > news:412dfe52$1_1@newsprd01... > > There is a paragraph text tool. Click to start your text box, drag to the > > other corner of the text box, then let go. Voila, text box. If you > create > > a text box, and then cut-n-paste from another application into the text > box, > > you will get a paragraph of text, not a single line. > > > > "melarch" wrote in message > > news:30630952.1093521446924.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > At present Revit does not support Object Linking (OLE) and Embedding > with > > any Microsoft applications other than Auto?CAD DWG. Even the OLE of DWG's > > is handled through the Import tool under the FILE pull down menu the Revit > > as a special situation. > > > > > > So what are the ways you can import large amounts of text? Only through > > Windows cut, copy and paste. Even then the text is pasted into Revit as > > single line text. > > > > > > The Text features in Revit leave a lot to be desired and many of us have > > requested improved text tools for inputting text directly into Revit, such > > as multiline (paragraph) text tool and the ability to OLE word processing > > and spread sheet documents into a Revit model or drafting view to be > placed > > on sheets. > > > > > > Mel Persin, Architect and CAD Consultant/Trainer > > > > > >
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

Interesting and a very sad fact for Revit. It amazes me that AutoCAD and ADT can do both with no problems. Lets hope Revit 7.0 does fix this issue because this can be a real issue with some people. "Scott Davis" wrote in message news:41300747_3@newsprd01... > Unfortunately, you will lose your formatting, such as indents and tabs. We > hope for a more robust text editor in 7.0. > > Excel spread sheets cannot be brought in natively. Some have printed to > PDF, converted to JPG, then inserted the image....not the most elegant > solution, but it works. Again, we hope for more support in this area in > 7.0. > > > "Jarod" wrote in message news:412f996e$1_2@newsprd01... > > What about tabs and indents that are coming in from Word? Do I lose them? > > > > What happens if I need a excel spreadsheet in Revit? How do you do that? > > > > > > "Scott Davis" wrote in message > > news:412dfe52$1_1@newsprd01... > > > There is a paragraph text tool. Click to start your text box, drag to > the > > > other corner of the text box, then let go. Voila, text box. If you > > create > > > a text box, and then cut-n-paste from another application into the text > > box, > > > you will get a paragraph of text, not a single line. > > > > > > "melarch" wrote in message > > > news:30630952.1093521446924.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > > At present Revit does not support Object Linking (OLE) and Embedding > > with > > > any Microsoft applications other than Auto?CAD DWG. Even the OLE of > DWG's > > > is handled through the Import tool under the FILE pull down menu the > Revit > > > as a special situation. > > > > > > > > So what are the ways you can import large amounts of text? Only > through > > > Windows cut, copy and paste. Even then the text is pasted into Revit as > > > single line text. > > > > > > > > The Text features in Revit leave a lot to be desired and many of us > have > > > requested improved text tools for inputting text directly into Revit, > such > > > as multiline (paragraph) text tool and the ability to OLE word > processing > > > and spread sheet documents into a Revit model or drafting view to be > > placed > > > on sheets. > > > > > > > > Mel Persin, Architect and CAD Consultant/Trainer > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Are you kidding? AutoCAD and ADT *just* got the ability to hold tabs and indents within the text formatting. Yeah, they can do it now, but it has been lacking from AutoCAD for 25 years! I expect that Revit 7.0 will deal with some text issues. "Jarod" wrote in message news:413352a0$1_2@newsprd01... > Interesting and a very sad fact for Revit. It amazes me that AutoCAD and ADT > can do both with no problems. Lets hope Revit 7.0 does fix this issue > because this can be a real issue with some people. > > "Scott Davis" wrote in message > news:41300747_3@newsprd01... > > Unfortunately, you will lose your formatting, such as indents and tabs. > We > > hope for a more robust text editor in 7.0. > > > > Excel spread sheets cannot be brought in natively. Some have printed to > > PDF, converted to JPG, then inserted the image....not the most elegant > > solution, but it works. Again, we hope for more support in this area in > > 7.0. > > > > > > "Jarod" wrote in message news:412f996e$1_2@newsprd01... > > > What about tabs and indents that are coming in from Word? Do I lose > them? > > > > > > What happens if I need a excel spreadsheet in Revit? How do you do that? > > > > > > > > > "Scott Davis" wrote in message > > > news:412dfe52$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > There is a paragraph text tool. Click to start your text box, drag to > > the > > > > other corner of the text box, then let go. Voila, text box. If you > > > create > > > > a text box, and then cut-n-paste from another application into the > text > > > box, > > > > you will get a paragraph of text, not a single line. > > > > > > > > "melarch" wrote in message > > > > news:30630952.1093521446924.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > > > At present Revit does not support Object Linking (OLE) and Embedding > > > with > > > > any Microsoft applications other than Auto?CAD DWG. Even the OLE of > > DWG's > > > > is handled through the Import tool under the FILE pull down menu the > > Revit > > > > as a special situation. > > > > > > > > > > So what are the ways you can import large amounts of text? Only > > through > > > > Windows cut, copy and paste. Even then the text is pasted into Revit > as > > > > single line text. > > > > > > > > > > The Text features in Revit leave a lot to be desired and many of us > > have > > > > requested improved text tools for inputting text directly into Revit, > > such > > > > as multiline (paragraph) text tool and the ability to OLE word > > processing > > > > and spread sheet documents into a Revit model or drafting view to be > > > placed > > > > on sheets. > > > > > > > > > > Mel Persin, Architect and CAD Consultant/Trainer > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Why are you getting your shorts in a uproar? Holy Carp man I'm just saying lets hope it gets fixed in the near future, I'm not trying to bash anything or anyone. If you want to get technical about it than March, 2003 AutoCAD/ADT can do Tabs and Indents from Word Docs and since March, 2004 AutoCAD/ADT can import Excel Spreadsheets. Which is great because most CAD software can't do neither. Sorry Scott for pointing out a issue that Revit doesn't handle very well and AutoCAD/ADT does... What is the bigger problem is what Melarch brought up, "At present Revit does not support Object Linking (OLE) and Embedding with any Microsoft applications other than AutoCAD DWG. Even the OLE of DWG's is handled through the Import tool under the FILE pull down menu the Revit as a special situation." "Scott Davis" wrote in message news:41336dbb_3@newsprd01... > Are you kidding? AutoCAD and ADT *just* got the ability to hold tabs and > indents within the text formatting. Yeah, they can do it now, but it has > been lacking from AutoCAD for 25 years! > > I expect that Revit 7.0 will deal with some text issues. > > "Jarod" wrote in message news:413352a0$1_2@newsprd01... > > Interesting and a very sad fact for Revit. It amazes me that AutoCAD and > ADT > > can do both with no problems. Lets hope Revit 7.0 does fix this issue > > because this can be a real issue with some people. > > > > "Scott Davis" wrote in message > > news:41300747_3@newsprd01... > > > Unfortunately, you will lose your formatting, such as indents and tabs. > > We > > > hope for a more robust text editor in 7.0. > > > > > > Excel spread sheets cannot be brought in natively. Some have printed to > > > PDF, converted to JPG, then inserted the image....not the most elegant > > > solution, but it works. Again, we hope for more support in this area in > > > 7.0. > > > > > > > > > "Jarod" wrote in message > news:412f996e$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > What about tabs and indents that are coming in from Word? Do I lose > > them? > > > > > > > > What happens if I need a excel spreadsheet in Revit? How do you do > that? > > > > > > > > > > > > "Scott Davis" wrote in message > > > > news:412dfe52$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > There is a paragraph text tool. Click to start your text box, drag > to > > > the > > > > > other corner of the text box, then let go. Voila, text box. If you > > > > create > > > > > a text box, and then cut-n-paste from another application into the > > text > > > > box, > > > > > you will get a paragraph of text, not a single line. > > > > > > > > > > "melarch" wrote in message > > > > > news:30630952.1093521446924.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > > > > At present Revit does not support Object Linking (OLE) and > Embedding > > > > with > > > > > any Microsoft applications other than Auto?CAD DWG. Even the OLE of > > > > DWG's > > > > > is handled through the Import tool under the FILE pull down menu the > > > Revit > > > > > as a special situation. > > > > > > > > > > > > So what are the ways you can import large amounts of text? Only > > > through > > > > > Windows cut, copy and paste. Even then the text is pasted into > Revit > > as > > > > > single line text. > > > > > > > > > > > > The Text features in Revit leave a lot to be desired and many of > us > > > have > > > > > requested improved text tools for inputting text directly into > Revit, > > > such > > > > > as multiline (paragraph) text tool and the ability to OLE word > > > processing > > > > > and spread sheet documents into a Revit model or drafting view to be > > > > placed > > > > > on sheets. > > > > > > > > > > > > Mel Persin, Architect and CAD Consultant/Trainer > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

You took my statement wrong, like I was getting uptight about it. Not the case. All that I was trying to say is, yes Revit does lack a good text editor, but at the same time, ADT/AutoCAD also lacked one up until a little over a year ago. Just give it time, it took 25 years to get a good text editor in AutoCAD, and now we will probably be getting some improvement in that area in Revit very soon. What amazes me is that it took so long for the most used CAD platform in the world to get a decent text editor. It also amazes me that the most used CAD platform in the world can't fill out detail bubbles for me automatically, without ADT (until just this last release 2005 with Sheet Sets and forms). These things sound so simple. "just build in a text editor", "just allow OLE linking". What a nightmare OLE linking in AutoCAD was until just recently. It never looked right, and forget plotting it, because it took forever. I know you aren't trying to bash, and I wasn't getting uptight about it. It's good to recognize areas that Revit needs improvement, its how the development team knows where we want improvement. "Jarod" wrote in message news:41337199_1@newsprd01... > Why are you getting your shorts in a uproar? Holy Carp man I'm just saying > lets hope it gets fixed in the near future, I'm not trying to bash anything > or anyone. If you want to get technical about it than March, 2003 > AutoCAD/ADT can do Tabs and Indents from Word Docs and since March, 2004 > AutoCAD/ADT can import Excel Spreadsheets. Which is great because most CAD > software can't do neither. Sorry Scott for pointing out a issue that Revit > doesn't handle very well and AutoCAD/ADT does... What is the bigger problem > is what Melarch brought up, > > "At present Revit does not support Object Linking (OLE) and Embedding with > any Microsoft applications other than AutoCAD DWG. Even the OLE of DWG's is > handled through the Import tool under the FILE pull down menu the Revit as a > special situation." > > > "Scott Davis" wrote in message > news:41336dbb_3@newsprd01... > > Are you kidding? AutoCAD and ADT *just* got the ability to hold tabs and > > indents within the text formatting. Yeah, they can do it now, but it has > > been lacking from AutoCAD for 25 years! > > > > I expect that Revit 7.0 will deal with some text issues. > > > > "Jarod" wrote in message news:413352a0$1_2@newsprd01... > > > Interesting and a very sad fact for Revit. It amazes me that AutoCAD and > > ADT > > > can do both with no problems. Lets hope Revit 7.0 does fix this issue > > > because this can be a real issue with some people. > > > > > > "Scott Davis" wrote in message > > > news:41300747_3@newsprd01... > > > > Unfortunately, you will lose your formatting, such as indents and > tabs. > > > We > > > > hope for a more robust text editor in 7.0. > > > > > > > > Excel spread sheets cannot be brought in natively. Some have printed > to > > > > PDF, converted to JPG, then inserted the image....not the most elegant > > > > solution, but it works. Again, we hope for more support in this area > in > > > > 7.0. > > > > > > > > > > > > "Jarod" wrote in message > > news:412f996e$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > > What about tabs and indents that are coming in from Word? Do I lose > > > them? > > > > > > > > > > What happens if I need a excel spreadsheet in Revit? How do you do > > that? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Scott Davis" wrote in message > > > > > news:412dfe52$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > > There is a paragraph text tool. Click to start your text box, > drag > > to > > > > the > > > > > > other corner of the text box, then let go. Voila, text box. If > you > > > > > create > > > > > > a text box, and then cut-n-paste from another application into the > > > text > > > > > box, > > > > > > you will get a paragraph of text, not a single line. > > > > > > > > > > > > "melarch" wrote in message > > > > > > > news:30630952.1093521446924.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > > > > > At present Revit does not support Object Linking (OLE) and > > Embedding > > > > > with > > > > > > any Microsoft applications other than Auto?CAD DWG. Even the OLE > of > > > > > > DWG's > > > > > > is handled through the Import tool under the FILE pull down menu > the > > > > Revit > > > > > > as a special situation. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > So what are the ways you can import large amounts of text? Only > > > > through > > > > > > Windows cut, copy and paste. Even then the text is pasted into > > Revit > > > as > > > > > > single line text. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > The Text features in Revit leave a lot to be desired and many of > > us > > > > have > > > > > > requested improved text tools for inputting text directly into > > Revit, > > > > such > > > > > > as multiline (paragraph) text tool and the ability to OLE word > > > > processing > > > > > > and spread sheet documents into a Revit model or drafting view to > be > > > > > placed > > > > > > on sheets. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Mel Persin, Architect and CAD Consultant/Trainer > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Jarod wrote: > Why are you getting your shorts in a uproar? Jarod, I think it's just that we Revit users get a lot of crap. When I was working for a reseller, I'd face this all the time. "WHAT?!?! Revit doesn't handle ?!? AutoCAD/ADT can do that!" When whatever the feature is isn't relevant to Revit at all, or is something that is eather done poorly within Autocad, or was very recently added. It's just a little frustrating sometimes. It's not easy being the bastard red-headed stepchild in the Autodesk family. ;-) I think he was just pointing out that the comparison is a little flawed, for while we all agree that Revit needs these features, it's also not like they have been constants within the AutoCAD world either. Heck, when I first started using Revit at version 3, AutoCAD couldn't even do color or fonts right... > "At present Revit does not support Object Linking (OLE) and Embedding with > any Microsoft applications other than AutoCAD DWG. Even the OLE of DWG's is > handled through the Import tool under the FILE pull down menu the Revit as a > special situation." So! You're the one person that uses OLE within AutoCAD! I kid. But seriously, you get that to work? Every firm I know abandoned using OLE within Autocad because of all the issues that arise, esp. with regards to printing with multiple printers... Jeffrey McGrew
Message 11 of 13
sbrown

You can get excel into revit and its not that bad. You do it the same way you do it in autocad(actually you do do it in autocad) Use spanner to bring your excel sheet into a dwg. then link that dwg into revit. if you make a change to your excel spreadsheet update in acad and it will be updated in revit too.
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

Well it is now Revit 2009 and no option for inserting formatted text exists. At least with AutoCAD you could bring in formatted texted using LISP (starting in late 80's.) - not OLE but a lot easier than trying to cut/paste each paragraph in Revit. And another issue: why cannot images be 'refreshed' - at least then you could print to image and refresh image rather than having to start from scratch each time (don't know how long ADT/ACAD had this capability - probably only 8 years or so...)
Message 13 of 13
damjanuzelac
in reply to: Anonymous

It's now 2016 and still no real text (word) and table (excel) import. Great work Autodesk.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report