Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import/Export Element Information

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
bm
Explorer
674 Views, 2 Replies

Import/Export Element Information

Hi, I'm working on a project incorporating field inspections into a Revit model.  I have a model built, and I'm trying to export information regarding each structural element (family, type & instance, dimensions, etc)  into an 'inspection sheet' (excel spreadsheet or text file).  After the field inspection, my goal is to update the Revit model with inspection results.  For example, damage to a beam might include a reduced cross sectional area/reduced moment of inertia.

I'm pretty new to Revit and it seems creating a Add-In might be the way to go, but does anyone have any suggestions of a starting point or another good way to acheive this?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: bm

Seems to me that you could obtain that information with a schedule of structural framing. Then, measure (or laser scan) in the field, save the model as a new project, update the sections of the beams, etc, and run another schedule. For more complex calculations, the schedule could be exported to Excel, or the model itself could be exported to a structural analysis application.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 3
SashKaz
in reply to: bm

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, I'm working on a project incorporating field inspections into a Revit model.  I have a model built, and I'm trying to export information regarding each structural element (family, type & instance, dimensions, etc)  into an 'inspection sheet' (excel spreadsheet or text file).  After the field inspection, my goal is to update the Revit model with inspection results.  For example, damage to a beam might include a reduced cross sectional area/reduced moment of inertia.

I'm pretty new to Revit and it seems creating a Add-In might be the way to go, but does anyone have any suggestions of a starting point or another good way to acheive this?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Hello bm,

There is a way that you can export your Revit model information to Excel, edit the document in the field (using an iPad or computer in the field), and then import that information back into your model using the Excel file. There is a Revit add on called Ideate BIMLink. What it allows you to do is export the Parameters of your choice, including parameters that you may not even see in a schedule, to an Excel document, make changes to the values and then you can push that data back into your model so that it updates. You can take your Excel document to a cloud service, such as box.com, which has Excel editing capabilities in the field for your iPad or other tablet, edit the Excel from the box.com application and then it is ready for importation once you are done.

Check out these links:

BIMLink Software Page: http://ideatesoftware.com/ideatebimlink/

Excel on iPad: http://ideatesolutions.blogspot.com/2013/01/ideate-bimlink-in-cloud-now-non-revit.html

If you have any questions, please let me know. I will be more than happy to help you

Sash Kazeminejad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report