Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import 3d model from max with mental ray material?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
calpolyarc
375 Views, 5 Replies

Import 3d model from max with mental ray material?

Is it possible to export a 3d model out of max v9 in either dwg, dxf, fbx or 3ds format.... and then import that model into Revit 2009 and then load a mental ray .mat file that was saved out of max v9?

I don't know much about Revit, I'm just wondering if this is possible.

Thanks! Message was edited by: calpolyarc
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Scott_Womack
in reply to: calpolyarc

When MAX exports the file, it does not create solid geometry. It creates face-only geometry, or an infinitely thin shelled object. Also, Max can export to AutoCAD, and then you can import AutoCAD into Revit, but during the double translation, all of the material mapping from MAX will be lost.

Scott Womack
Message 3 of 6
calpolyarc

Thanks Scott... If I export to autocad and then import that into revit I assume it's possible to remap the geometry?

Also, what about the ability to open or load a .mat file (containing mental ray material information) into Revit?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

No material .mat handling in the current Revit, unfortunately. I have heard it is being considered for the next release.

DW
Message 5 of 6
calpolyarc

Thanks David, do you know if the Mental Ray interface in Revit is similar to the one in Max?
Message 6 of 6
Scott_Womack

IT is not. The interface in Revit is a vastly simplified version of what is available in MAX.

Scott Womack

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report