Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

if and conditional formula help

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
jmqrsq
1939 Views, 9 Replies

if and conditional formula help

is there a way to make a if and conditional statement formula in a family with 3 tests?

For example,

Behind Furniture, Biscuit, Masonry Wall, Hard Ceiling are all yes/no parameters

if(and(Behind Furniture, Biscuit, Hard Ceiling), 0'  0 5/16", if(Behind Furniture, 0'  0 11/64", if(Biscuit, 0'  0 11/64", 0'  0 27/256", if(Masonry Wall, 0'  0 11/64", 0'  0 27/256"))))

what is wrond with my formula?

I am trying to change a dimension  based on what yes/no parameters are checked. It keeps telling me that its "a bad if statement format". It works fine for the first teo dimension tests but when I add this last one I get the error. I need the 3rd dimension to check against 3 yes/no parameters all being = yes before moving on to the next check. I would appreciate the advanced help here.

Tags (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jmqrsq
in reply to: jmqrsq

Ok so I realize what I had wrong there:

if(and(Behind Furniture, Biscuit, Masonry Wall), 0'  0 5/16", if(Behind Furniture, 0'  0 11/64", if(Biscuit, 0'  0 11/64", if(Masonry Wall, 0'  0 11/64", 0'  0 27/256"))))

worked. But now I need the formula to check if any two yes/no parameters = yes then 31/128", if none = yes then 27/256"

Using my parameters mentioned earlier is it possible to achieve what I want to do? If so, then how can I fix this? Myabe there is an easier way?

Again, I appreciate the help!

Message 3 of 10
CoreyDaun

I'll give you two methods to achieve this:

#1 - OR/AND method (typically better when fewer parameters are involved):

if(and(Behind Furniture, Biscuit, Masonry Wall), 0'  0 5/16", if(or(and(Behind Furniture, Biscuit), and(Behind Furniture, Masonry Wall), and(Biscuit, Masonry Wall)), 0'  0 31/128", if(Behind Furniture, 0'  0 11/64", if(Biscuit, 0'  0 11/64", if(Masonry Wall, 0'  0 11/64", 0'  0 27/256")))))

#2 - IF/SUM method (typically better when many parameters are involved):

if(and(Behind Furniture, Biscuit, Masonry Wall), 0'  0 5/16", if(if(Behind Furniture, 1, 0) + if(Biscuit, 1, 0) + if(Masonry Wall, 1, 0) = 2, 0'  0 31/128", if(Behind Furniture, 0'  0 11/64", if(Biscuit, 0'  0 11/64", if(Masonry Wall, 0'  0 11/64", 0'  0 27/256")))))

Just ask if you have any more questions or if you'd like me to elaborate!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 10
jmqrsq
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks! I figured one way to do it although I was sure there had to be an easier and shorter way to do it:

if(and(Behind Furniture, Biscuit, Masonry Wall), 0'  0 5/16", if(and(Behind Furniture, Biscuit), 0'  0 31/128", if(and(Behind Furniture, Masonry Wall), 0'  0 31/128", if(and(Biscuit, Masonry Wall), 0'  0 31/128", if(Behind Furniture, 0'  0 11/64", if(Biscuit, 0'  0 11/64", if(Masonry Wall, 0'  0 11/64", 0'  0 27/256")))))))

I was wondering if you could combine a if or & and conditional statement or not. I tried to do a search on Google but really wasnt sure what this would be called to use for keywords in my search. 😃 I will try to decipher what is going on in the examples you suggested to simplify any future formulas I do like this one. Any further explanation would be welcomed by me and any other person who stumbles accross this post.

Cheers!

Message 5 of 10
CoreyDaun

To elaborate a little:

@Anonymous wrote:

#1 - OR/AND method (typically better when fewer parameters are involved):

if(and(Behind Furniture, Biscuit, Masonry Wall), 0'  0 5/16", if(or(and(Behind Furniture, Biscuit), and(Behind Furniture, Masonry Wall), and(Biscuit, Masonry Wall)), 0'  0 31/128", if(Behind Furniture, 0'  0 11/64", if(Biscuit, 0'  0 11/64", if(Masonry Wall, 0'  0 11/64", 0'  0 27/256")))))

if(

or(    < this means that if ANY of the conditional statements below return TRUE, then this returns TRUE

and(Behind Furniture, Biscuit),               < each of these conditional statements tests

and(Behind Furniture, Masonry Wall),     every combination of the YES/NO Parameters

and(Biscuit, Masonry Wall)                         and will return TRUE if two of them are YES.

)

, 0'  0 31/128",                             < This is the result return if the OR statement is TRUE

,[the remainder of your formula]  < otherwise, it resorts to the remainder of the formula.

)

@Anonymous wrote:

#2 - IF/SUM method (typically better when many parameters are involved):

if(and(Behind Furniture, Biscuit, Masonry Wall), 0'  0 5/16", if(if(Behind Furniture, 1, 0) + if(Biscuit, 1, 0) + if(Masonry Wall, 1, 0) = 2, 0'  0 31/128", if(Behind Furniture, 0'  0 11/64", if(Biscuit, 0'  0 11/64", if(Masonry Wall, 0'  0 11/64", 0'  0 27/256")))))

if(

if(Behind Furniture, 1, 0)   < each of these statements test each YES/NO Parameter and returns 1 for YES, 0 for NO.

+

if(Biscuit, 1, 0),

+                         < These results, which will either be 1 or 0, are added together to form the first part of the conditional statement

if(Masonry Wall, 1, 0),

= 2

, 0'  0 31/128",                             < This is the result return if the above statement is true, meaning that the sum of the IF's is 2

,[the remainder of your formula]  < otherwise, it resorts to the remainder of the formula.

)

Hope this is clear enough!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 10
jmqrsq

so is it the SUM boolean convert yes to 1 and no to 0? I always thought Revit auto recognized yes's as 1's and no's as 0's. If I had to guess that is still true here and instead of comparing all the parameters to each other you basically were testing if each one was a yes or no, then adding them up and using that result as a determining factor for the end result. Am I basically right thinking it is that simple?

Message 7 of 10
CoreyDaun

There is no actual SUM function in Revit. And no, Revit does not interpret 1 and 0 as TRUE and FALSE, hence the need for the first IF statement. Essentially, the multiple 1 or 0 tests create a conditional statement as per the example below.

= if( 1 + 0 + 1 = 2, 1/32", 1/64")

Message 8 of 10
jmqrsq

let me see if I am understanding this right. Tell me if this is a accurate and a working formula:

if (if (a,1,0) + if (b,1,0) + if (c,1,0) + if (d,1,0) = 2, 1", if (a,1,0) + if (b,1,0) + if (c,1,0) + if (d,1,0) = 3, 2", 3") 

a = 1 then the result is 3"

a = 2 then the result is 1"

a = 3 then the result is 2"

a > 3 then the result is 3"

Message 9 of 10
CoreyDaun

jmqrsq wrote:

let me see if I am understanding this right. Tell me if this is a accurate and a working formula:

if (if (a,1,0) + if (b,1,0) + if (c,1,0) + if (d,1,0) = 2, 1", if (a,1,0) + if (b,1,0) + if (c,1,0) + if (d,1,0) = 3, 2", 3"))

This formula will function (albeit with an additional parentheses at the end).

jmqrsq wrote:

if (if (a,1,0) + if (b,1,0) + if (c,1,0) + if (d,1,0) = 2, 1", if (a,1,0) + if (b,1,0) + if (c,1,0) + if (d,1,0) = 3, 2", 3") 

a = 1 then the result is 3"

a = 2 then the result is 1"

a = 3 then the result is 2"

a > 3 then the result is 3"

Not quite. Your "a" is a simple Yes/No parameter, not a number, so it can only be YES or NO. Your formula will return the result 1" if exactly two of the parameters (a, b, c ,d) are set to YES. It will return 2" if exactly three of them are set to "YES", and 3" for all other results, (which would be none of them checked, only one of them checked, or all of them checked).

Message 10 of 10
jmqrsq

right right. I knew that. Bad choice of using a instead of "result = ...".

I think I have it down now. Again I appreciate your help and explanation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report