Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to create a second drawing without the exterior wall finish layer

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
carpentier_guillaume
481 Views, 9 Replies

I would like to create a second drawing without the exterior wall finish layer

Hello,

I am looking for a method to realize 2 different drawings in the same revit file.

In fact, I made a drawing with all the layers of the wall included exterior finish layer.

Now I would like to create a second drawing without the exterior wall finish layer (stucco thickness 1 cm).

I hope you understand my request, because it is not easy to translate it (French to English).

The mason wants a drawing without finishing outside of the walls.

I think there must be a solution, but I do not see how.

Thank you for your help.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

I think you need to delete the finish layer from the compound wall type, and create another wall type just for finishes. Then, you can show or hide that finish wall as necessary.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 10

@carpentier_guillaume wrote:

"I hope you understand my request, because it is not easy to translate it (French to English)."

The translation is flawless and the expression of ideas is perfect. 

Message 4 of 10

Hello,

Thank you to try to help me.

I find this solution is not the best.

I really want to have 2 different drawings.

Thank you.

Message 5 of 10

@carpentier_guillaume wrote:

Hello,

Thank you to try to help me.

I find this solution is not the best.

I really want to have 2 different drawings.

Thank you.

Then, do 2 different models. I thought you wanted a method to avoid having to model twice.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 10

Yes, I want only one REVIT file, with 2 drawings.

Message 7 of 10

As I said above, the finish layers need to be modeled separetely, with their own wall type, which can be shown or hidden, using filters. The reason is because there is no way to hide just the finish layer when it is part of a wall type with multiple layers.

Message 8 of 10

There is a way to do this in a single Revit file, but you need to convert your walls to 'parts' and for this you must be using Revit 2012 or later version.

After converting your walls to parts, you can use view filters to hide the finish layers in a drawing. You'll find more about this by serching the 'parts' and 'filters' section of online Revit help.

Though this is  a way to do what you want to do, I'm not really a supporter of converting huge number of elements to 'parts'. It creates more problems than solutions as per my opinion.

Hope this helps.

- Sagar
Message 9 of 10

Dear RakasaPlus,

It is a lengthy process (and may have some drawback as well) but you can achieve desired result.

You need to follow these steps.

• determine what is your level to level height (let's say 10''-0")
  • Now create a new family (using Profile template) and draw a profile with the width of wall finish layer which you want to hide (for example 2") and the height of that profile would be 10''0" (height of your walls).
  • Save that profile family with a defined name.
  • Now in your project, you can draw walls without exterior finish (which you want to hide in one drawing). Only the wall structure with appropriate thickness.
  • Now go to 3d view, Choose Wall Sweep option form Wall drop down menu.
  • Select the desired wall (all exterior) and place that wall sweep.
  • Now half of your job is done.
  • Go to floor plan, duplicate it (preferably 'with detailing') and rename it as desired.
  • Now in the floorplan where you want to hide the exterior finish, go to visibility graphics option, Click on the + (Plus) symbos before the Walls, uncheck the 'Wall Sweeps - Cornice' option.
  • You are done.

Let us know if you face any difficulty in any of these steps and also your feedback if this resolves your query or not.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)
Message 10 of 10

I'm having the same problem here...
You're probably doing some drafting for on-site construction, and you'd like to have a dimensioned drawing with the core and substract layers without any finishings...
I usually translate the drawings to Autocad, and then turn off the finish layer.... Save the drawing and then you can link it back to REVIT and load or unload it at your will.

Obviously this is somewhat of a work effort, but it works... speccialy when you're talking about a fully completed project where you have no other changes to implement.

The way I'm considering to solve this, is by using project versions.

You can set a version with the complete wall type, and another one with just the core layers...
Another way would be to use PHASES... 
You just copy the walls you wish... Change them to EXISTING, or create a PHASE CHARPENTE (example)... and then set those walls to that particular phase. You can now change their type and display them while you "HIDE ELEMENTS IN VIEW- COMPLETE WALLS)...
That will do the trick without having to create a "separate RVT model"... and it won't mess with scheduled quantities, since you can filter out the "CHARPENTE" phase when sorting out your schedules.

Hope this helps!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report