Revit Architecture

Revit Architecture

Contributor
DaveF.
Message 11 of 15 (175 Views)

Re: I still Can’t understand View Ranges

03-07-2012 01:33 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks

That clarifies what's happening, but I'm still not sure why. As I said in my previous post, if the Bottom & VD are set to -500 the slab *still* shows. From all the web pages/help files I've read this shouldn't be happening.

Are there any other settings that cause the View Range to have different characteristics?

Cheers
Dave F.

AutoCAD 2012 Structural Detailing SP1 & Revit Structure 64bit
Win 7 64bit
berndsp
Message 12 of 15 (171 Views)

great tutorial on View Range

03-07-2012 01:56 AM in reply to: DaveF.

here's a great tutorial som explains most of it:

http://paulaubin.com/blog/revit-view-range/

hope it'l help :smileyhappy:

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 13 of 15 (153 Views)

03-07-2012 10:32 AM in reply to: DaveF.

DaveF. wrote:

Thanks

That clarifies what's happening, but I'm still not sure why. As I said in my previous post, if the Bottom & VD are set to -500 the slab *still* shows. From all the web pages/help files I've read this shouldn't be happening.

Are there any other settings that cause the View Range to have different characteristics?

There is, indeed, something very strange about those view range settings, maybe a bug which seems to affect only slabs. If I place a structural column and a structural wall with their top set at the same height of the top of the slab, the column and the wall are hidden by those view range settings, as expected, but the slab still shows.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Employee
loboarch
Message 14 of 15 (132 Views)

03-09-2012 09:40 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo_Medina wrote:

DaveF. wrote:

Thanks

There is, indeed, something very strange about those view range settings, maybe a bug which seems to affect only slabs. If I place a structural column and a structural wall with their top set at the same height of the top of the slab, the column and the wall are hidden by those view range settings, as expected, but the slab still shows.

This is not a bug, it is expected behavior.  Floors have a slightly different behavior with respect to view range.  That is what you are seeing here.  A floor object outside of the primary view range is still displayed if it is within 4' (or approx 1.22m) of the bottom of the view range.  Quoted from the wikihelp topic on view range:

" Model elements located outside of the view range generally are not shown in the view. The exceptions are floors, stairs, ramps, and components that stay or are mounted on the floor (like furniture). These are shown even when slightly below the view range.

Fascia, gutters, and slab edges are shown when their bottoms are within a tolerance of the primary view range bottom.

Floors located outside the view range use an adjusted range that is 4 feet (approximately 1.22 meters) below the bottom of the primary range. Floors are drawn with the Beyond line style if the floor exists within this adjusted range. "

I think this explains what you are seeing with this condition.

You can review the topic on view range at the wiki help for further information.

Jeff Hanson
Sr. Subject Matter Expert
Autodesk, Revit User Experience
*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 15 of 15 (129 Views)

03-09-2012 09:44 AM in reply to: DaveF.

Ahh, excellent, Jeff. That was the reason for this display issue. Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.