Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I still Can’t understand View Ranges

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
DaveF.
2451 Views, 14 Replies

I still Can’t understand View Ranges

Can someone please help me comprehend?:

Level 4 = 66.250

Level 5= 69.190

I have a Lift shaft overrun roof that sticks above Level 4 by 1700mm with a covering slab – Generic 200mm. Therefore the distance from the top of slab to Level 5 = 1265mm.

The Level 5 view range parameters are all associated with Level 5. The Top & Cut Offset Levels are 600/300 respectively.

The problem is I can only get the lift shaft roof slab to not be visible if I set the Bottom Offset to only -45!

With it set to this value the View Depth Offset works as expected, showing the slab if at -1265 or lower, but if I amend the Bottom Offset to anything lower than -45 changing the View Depth makes no difference!  

What am I not understanding?

Cheers

Dave F.

Cheers
Dave F.

AutoCAD 2012 Structural Detailing SP1 & Revit Structure 64bit
Win 7 64bit
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: DaveF.

In level 5 plan view, do you want to see the slab that covers the shaft, or not? If not, where are you going to show that slab? In Level 4 floor plan? That needs to be clarified. I would show the walls of the shaft at the level 4 floor plan, and the slab at the Level 5 floor plan, but it depends how you want to show it.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 15
ccollins

see attached.

Hope this helps.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 4 of 15
DaveF.
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure of it's relevance to my Q. I know where I want to show the slab & I thought i made it clear, but that's not what I asked.

I'm trying to understand why the Bottom offset has to be set to only -45 to get it the slab to hide seeing as the slab is over 1200mm below that.

Dave F.

Cheers
Dave F.

Win 7 64bit
Message 5 of 15
DaveF.

Hi

Just to be clear, my previous reply was directied to Alfredo.

ccolins, I've seen this image before, but I still don't see the significance of the 45mm. If I set both the Bottom & View depth to -500mm the slab still displays even though it's well below that level.

Cheers
Dave F.

Win 7 64bit
Message 6 of 15
Alfredo_Medina

Well, the question is relevant, because depending on what we want to show,  is how we set a view range.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 15
DaveF.

Hi Alfredo

"The problem is I can only get the lift shaft roof slab to not be visible if I set the Bottom Offset to only -45!"

Are you able to help with my query?

Cheers
Dave F.

Win 7 64bit
Message 8 of 15
ccollins

You can always try using a Plan Region to set the View Range, in a limited area just where needed

independently of the main view.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 9 of 15
DaveF.
in reply to: ccollins

Hi

Yes, ccollins, that's one of a few work arounds to hide it that I've considered but according to the sketch you posted, as it's below the bottom/view depth I shouldn't have to do any workarounds.  Smiley Sad

Cheers
Dave F.

Win 7 64bit
Message 10 of 15
Alfredo_Medina

See illustration.

Message 11 of 15
DaveF.

Thanks

That clarifies what's happening, but I'm still not sure why. As I said in my previous post, if the Bottom & VD are set to -500 the slab *still* shows. From all the web pages/help files I've read this shouldn't be happening.

Are there any other settings that cause the View Range to have different characteristics?

Cheers
Dave F.

Win 7 64bit
Message 12 of 15
berndsp

here's a great tutorial som explains most of it:

http://paulaubin.com/blog/revit-view-range/

hope it'l help 🙂

Message 13 of 15
Alfredo_Medina

@DaveF. wrote:

Thanks

That clarifies what's happening, but I'm still not sure why. As I said in my previous post, if the Bottom & VD are set to -500 the slab *still* shows. From all the web pages/help files I've read this shouldn't be happening.

Are there any other settings that cause the View Range to have different characteristics?

There is, indeed, something very strange about those view range settings, maybe a bug which seems to affect only slabs. If I place a structural column and a structural wall with their top set at the same height of the top of the slab, the column and the wall are hidden by those view range settings, as expected, but the slab still shows.

Message 14 of 15
loboarch

Alfredo_Medina wrote:

DaveF. wrote:

Thanks

There is, indeed, something very strange about those view range settings, maybe a bug which seems to affect only slabs. If I place a structural column and a structural wall with their top set at the same height of the top of the slab, the column and the wall are hidden by those view range settings, as expected, but the slab still shows.

This is not a bug, it is expected behavior.  Floors have a slightly different behavior with respect to view range.  That is what you are seeing here.  A floor object outside of the primary view range is still displayed if it is within 4' (or approx 1.22m) of the bottom of the view range.  Quoted from the wikihelp topic on view range:

" Model elements located outside of the view range generally are not shown in the view. The exceptions are floors, stairs, ramps, and components that stay or are mounted on the floor (like furniture). These are shown even when slightly below the view range.

Fascia, gutters, and slab edges are shown when their bottoms are within a tolerance of the primary view range bottom.

Floors located outside the view range use an adjusted range that is 4 feet (approximately 1.22 meters) below the bottom of the primary range. Floors are drawn with the Beyond line style if the floor exists within this adjusted range. "

I think this explains what you are seeing with this condition.

You can review the topic on view range at the wiki help for further information.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 15 of 15
Alfredo_Medina

Ahh, excellent, Jeff. That was the reason for this display issue. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report