Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hear many export Elevations into ACAD...Roofslope tags?...Rotate view 180?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
sjohansenBSA
161 Views, 8 Replies

I hear many export Elevations into ACAD...Roofslope tags?...Rotate view 180?

Hi I'm new here. I took a 3-day Revit intro class, and am now going to be the first in my office to take a Revit project into CD's. I'm enthralled with this website and have already bookmarked several topics, but would appreciate any help on 3 items.

Right now going from SD to DD, I'm having trouble:

a) getting my elevations to look as nice in Revit as I'm used to in AutoCAD (editing door/window families, trim sweeps, and keynotes seem like a pain...), and debating taking the cop-out to convert them to ACAD. I've heard that it's accepted that Revit is not for Site Plans...is it not efficient for Elevations either?

b) wondering if there's a Roof Slope tag I'm missing or if I need to create my own.

c) I have 3 almost-identical buildings on 1 site, and in 1 Revit file. They have 3 different orientations on the Site, but I'd prefer them to have the same orientation on Paper. I see Revit lets me rotate "viewports" 90 degrees clockwise or counterclockwise, but not 180 like I need for one building. But I'm still running 8.1; this isn't "fixed" in version 9, is it? Messing with Project North/True North is not something I want to do if I can help it.

Thanks in advance!
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
sjohansenBSA
in reply to: sjohansenBSA

Oh, one more thing:
I'm told that the best way to make a wall section is to use the cut wall section as an UNDERLAY, and draw everything in 2d over it. This does seem to make more sense than drawing so many white boxes (to "erase" pieces/parts) as I'd been doing.

But then what if I want to make a callout of that wall section, like an eave detail? I've already drawn the gutter, etc. in the wall section; is there a way not to have to draw it again in the callout? The callout does not keep the detail because detail is view-specific. Would love to hear a way around this.
Message 3 of 9
sjohansenBSA

And how about a way to keep walls from automatically joining to eachother, and having 3 things move when you just want to move 1? I wish walls would only join when you told them to, just like dimensions locking only when you tell them to.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

the small blue dot at the end of your selected wall...the one you drag to
make it longer/shorter
right click on that and chose "disallow join"
very handy

wrote in message news:5175006@discussion.autodesk.com...
And how about a way to keep walls from automatically joining to eachother,
and having 3 things move when you just want to move 1? I wish walls would
only join when you told them to, just like dimensions locking only when you
tell them to.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

sjohansenBSA wrote:
> Hi I'm new here. I took a 3-day Revit intro class, and am now going to be the first in my office to take a Revit project into CD's. I'm enthralled with this website and have already bookmarked several topics, but would appreciate any help on 3 items.
>
> Right now going from SD to DD, I'm having trouble:
>
> a) getting my elevations to look as nice in Revit as I'm used to in AutoCAD (editing door/window families, trim sweeps, and keynotes seem like a pain...), and debating taking the cop-out to convert them to ACAD. I've heard that it's accepted that Revit is not for Site Plans...is it not efficient for Elevations either?
>
> b) wondering if there's a Roof Slope tag I'm missing or if I need to create my own.
>
> c) I have 3 almost-identical buildings on 1 site, and in 1 Revit file. They have 3 different orientations on the Site, but I'd prefer them to have the same orientation on Paper. I see Revit lets me rotate "viewports" 90 degrees clockwise or counterclockwise, but not 180 like I need for one building. But I'm still running 8.1; this isn't "fixed" in version 9, is it? Messing with Project North/True North is not something I want to do if I can help it.
>
> Thanks in advance!

a) Don't really know what to tell you there. Our elevations look good.
I agree they can look better in ACAD sometimes as there is
easier/better control of lineweights.

b) We create generic annotations on the elevation view.

c) We create 4 different file. One for each building and one for the
site. We then link the bldgs to the site.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

sjohansenBSA wrote:
> Oh, one more thing:
> I'm told that the best way to make a wall section is to use the cut wall section as an UNDERLAY, and draw everything in 2d over it. This does seem to make more sense than drawing so many white boxes (to "erase" pieces/parts) as I'd been doing.
>
> But then what if I want to make a callout of that wall section, like an eave detail? I've already drawn the gutter, etc. in the wall section; is there a way not to have to draw it again in the callout? The callout does not keep the detail because detail is view-specific. Would love to hear a way around this.

You can copy/paste from the larger section to the callout. When you
paste you should use Edit>Paste Aligned.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

sjohansenBSA wrote:
> And how about a way to keep walls from automatically joining to eachother, and having 3 things move when you just want to move 1? I wish walls would only join when you told them to, just like dimensions locking only when you tell them to.

When you move a wall and dont want anything else to move with it, pick
"Disjoin" from the options bar.
Message 8 of 9
sjohansenBSA

Thanks everyone!
Getting over this hurdle with great new knowledge already!
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Answer to your (C) in RVT 9. I dont know about 8.1
Create a Floor plan callout of your building.
Rotate the callout 180d
The newly created Callout view will also rotate.
--
Nicholas Iyadurai
St Louis, MO

wrote in message news:5174962@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi I'm new here. I took a 3-day Revit intro class, and am now going to be
the first in my office to take a Revit project into CD's. I'm enthralled
with this website and have already bookmarked several topics, but would
appreciate any help on 3 items.

Right now going from SD to DD, I'm having trouble:

a) getting my elevations to look as nice in Revit as I'm used to in AutoCAD
(editing door/window families, trim sweeps, and keynotes seem like a
pain...), and debating taking the cop-out to convert them to ACAD. I've
heard that it's accepted that Revit is not for Site Plans...is it not
efficient for Elevations either?

b) wondering if there's a Roof Slope tag I'm missing or if I need to create
my own.

c) I have 3 almost-identical buildings on 1 site, and in 1 Revit file. They
have 3 different orientations on the Site, but I'd prefer them to have the
same orientation on Paper. I see Revit lets me rotate "viewports" 90
degrees clockwise or counterclockwise, but not 180 like I need for one
building. But I'm still running 8.1; this isn't "fixed" in version 9, is
it? Messing with Project North/True North is not something I want to do if
I can help it.

Thanks in advance!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report