Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update family type in place....

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
rodenbut
381 Views, 7 Replies

How to update family type in place....

I have created several cabinets as families with individual family types.  For example, I have a standard 1 Drawer/1 Door cabinet.  The Famiily types would be the width of that cabinet.  Anyways, when I load the family into a project, I can see the family types and place them where I want and they are the correct size.  However, if I select one of those cabinets I just placed then try and change the type to a wider cabinet in place, it does not change or update.  It changes the type but not the size.  

Any clues?

Tags (3)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
VWD-MLM
in reply to: rodenbut

Can you upload a family (Make sure to say what version) so we can check?

Mike

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
BDSU 2015, 2016
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
Message 3 of 8
SteveKStafford

What happens when you change the types while working in the Family Editor? Did you assign different width values to each type. When you type a name for a type it doesn't actually correspond to the parameters the geometry relies on. It's just a nice name. We still need to make sure each type has the correct values.

If that isn't the issue then does width actually change the geometry in the family when you type in a new value and click Apply?

It sounds like a couple dots haven't been connected yet.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 4 of 8
rodenbut
in reply to: VWD-MLM

Mike,

Here is a family I am working with.

Message 5 of 8
rodenbut
in reply to: SteveKStafford

Spoiler

Steve, 

When I change the types in the family editor it works fine.  I click apply and it adjusts.  Just not in the project.  The Name is just a nice name, but the parameters are set with the widths.

Message 6 of 8
rodenbut

Mike, 

It is version 2015

Message 7 of 8
SteveKStafford

Cool someone using 2015 🙂

You've created Instance parameters which means the values you've assigned are the default values that are used when you place it in the project, but they are unique values for each and every cabinet. Changing the Type won't affect the instance values, only Type Parameters behave that way. Simple fix, just change your parameters in the family to be Type, not Instance.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 8 of 8
rodenbut
in reply to: SteveKStafford

Oh, gotcha.

I had read that but it just never clicked.  Awesome.  Thanks very much!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report