Revit Architecture

Active Contributor
twilks1
Message 1 of 4 (958 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to Reference Views from linked files

958 Views, 3 Replies
09-12-2012 07:19 AM

I have thought about this and want to get input on a best approach to utilizing Views created in a linked Revit project file. One need is to create a Callout within the current Revit project and reference a view from another linked project. This is a common need in many of our projects and any input would be appreciated.

Revit is not very good at referencing information from other files, even ones that are linked. I don't believe that this is possible. For a similar purpose, we have create a Detail Item that mimics the appearance of the Callout, has adjustable length/width, and includes a fake tag. We even made the label a Shared Parameter so we can create a Schedule to keep track (if we have a lot of them) and easily locate them to verify that they have a correct reference.

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 2 of 4 (937 Views)

Re: How to Reference Views from linked files

09-13-2012 05:53 AM in reply to: twilks1

Revit is not very good at referencing information from other files, even ones that are linked. I don't believe that this is possible. For a similar purpose, we have create a Detail Item that mimics the appearance of the Callout, has adjustable length/width, and includes a fake tag. We even made the label a Shared Parameter so we can create a Schedule to keep track (if we have a lot of them) and easily locate them to verify that they have a correct reference.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Product Support
Lance.Coffey
Message 3 of 4 (904 Views)

09-20-2012 03:32 PM in reply to: twilks1

There is an open wishlist item for the ability to access views from a linked Revit project.

If you would like to submit feedback directly to our development group on how this feature would affect your workflow, you can use the following link: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Lance Coffey
Active Contributor
twilks1
Message 4 of 4 (900 Views)

09-20-2012 03:44 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

Yep, we do it that way too. I was fishing for new ideas or tricks because I hate dumb connections.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!