Revit Architecture

Active Contributor
twilks1
Message 1 of 4 (851 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to Reference Views from linked files

851 Views, 3 Replies
09-12-2012 07:19 AM

I have thought about this and want to get input on a best approach to utilizing Views created in a linked Revit project file. One need is to create a Callout within the current Revit project and reference a view from another linked project. This is a common need in many of our projects and any input would be appreciated.

Revit is not very good at referencing information from other files, even ones that are linked. I don't believe that this is possible. For a similar purpose, we have create a Detail Item that mimics the appearance of the Callout, has adjustable length/width, and includes a fake tag. We even made the label a Shared Parameter so we can create a Schedule to keep track (if we have a lot of them) and easily locate them to verify that they have a correct reference.

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 2 of 4 (830 Views)

Re: How to Reference Views from linked files

09-13-2012 05:53 AM in reply to: twilks1

Revit is not very good at referencing information from other files, even ones that are linked. I don't believe that this is possible. For a similar purpose, we have create a Detail Item that mimics the appearance of the Callout, has adjustable length/width, and includes a fake tag. We even made the label a Shared Parameter so we can create a Schedule to keep track (if we have a lot of them) and easily locate them to verify that they have a correct reference.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Product Support
Lance.Coffey
Message 3 of 4 (797 Views)

09-20-2012 03:32 PM in reply to: twilks1

There is an open wishlist item for the ability to access views from a linked Revit project.

If you would like to submit feedback directly to our development group on how this feature would affect your workflow, you can use the following link: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Lance Coffey
Active Contributor
twilks1
Message 4 of 4 (793 Views)

09-20-2012 03:44 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

Yep, we do it that way too. I was fishing for new ideas or tricks because I hate dumb connections.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.