Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to purge an imported dwg object with all of its layers deleted

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
2093 Views, 6 Replies

How to purge an imported dwg object with all of its layers deleted

I have a revit file with an imported dwg object. I accidentally deleted all
of its layers. How can I purge the object out of the revit file?

Leo
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
melarch
in reply to: Anonymous

It would appear that deleting all of the layers for an Imported object purges the drawing out of the Revit project file. I checked the Visibility Graphics tab for Imported Categories and when I deleted all of the Layers including "0" the DWG was no longer listed.

What is more critical is when you delete all of the layers in an imported DWG, except those have no objects on them at all. Then try to purge or delete it from the Revit project file. Since no entities remain on a layer or are visible with which to select the imported DWG, you cannot delete it from the Revit project file.

Mel Persin, AIA
Message 3 of 7
melarch

The answer was found in a thread on AUGI's Revit forum "Lost Import"

To get rid of any remaining layers from an imported DWG without entities. Open Visibility Graphics, select the layers in question and pick the Object Styles button at the bottom of the dialog box. In the Object Styles dialog box in the Imported Objects tab select the layers and Delete them.

But this does not remove the imported DWG file from either the Object Styles or Visibility Graphics. Which suggests that the imported DWG is still in your Revit project file.

I have not found the answer to purging the imported DWG file in the above scenarios

Mel Persin, AIA
Message 4 of 7
Dirk Redhead

Autodesk? Please help on this one.
Message 5 of 7
Dirk Redhead

Please?
Message 6 of 7
Clntnco

Goto Manage > Object Styles > Imported Objects >

and then you should see each drawing that was imported

delete the layers from each individual drawing and then you should be able to purge the drawings out.

Message 7 of 7
Robert
in reply to: Clntnco

Google brought me here. Thanks for the suggestions guys! My Revit however didn't remove these imported dwgs from Object Styles or VG even after I manually deleted all of their layers and then Purged Unused several times!

For those still looking for an answer, I eventually found it at the end of this thread: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/deleting-imported-categories/td-p/1455947

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report