Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

How to make description of layers in walls, roofs and floors?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
pasterski.k
3655 Views, 13 Replies

How to make description of layers in walls, roofs and floors?

Hi guys, 

i would like to make descriptions on cross section for layers of walls, roof and floors. You can see it on screen attached. Green one. 

Do you have any ideas or is there any tool in Revit 2015? 

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

It can be done either using text or , the best method using Keynotes - Material Keynotes:

consider a Wall example:

• in a Section View select the Wall > Edit Type > Type Properties > Construction > Structure > Edit >select one layer > Material - click on the right placed 3 points icon to open the Material Browser > Identity > Keynote - choose from the list
  • proceed the same with all the layers that compose the Wall
  • Annotate > Tag > Keynote > Material Keynote > click on the wall layers one by one...

if you do not use US settings or English language in your projects , you will want to make your own Keynote Table. From Annotate > Tag > Keynote > Keynote Settings > Key Note Table - File Location..

in Windows Browser , identify the file , make a copy of it  .Open the file in Note Pad  and edit it so to suit your needs.....It will be some work here but you can will use it in all your future projects. 

it looks to be somehow complicated...so have a look at my screencast, maybe it is helpful:

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/6b3042c0-ac19-4b3d-9ae8-91c917c60341

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 14

Very helpfull, thank you! 

I wonder if it's possible to have a tag or a shedule that would creat an automatic description of the wall? Not in separate layers but as a whole ? see image below.

revit wall description.PNG

Message 4 of 14

you can use Element Keynote if you make previously your own keynote text file. Once made, this file can be used in all  your projects ....

I've made a rough screencast to show how it can work....I'll try to make a more accurate  screencast ,maybe tomorrow....

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 14

You can use the add-in I developed specially for this purpose, find it on Autodesk app store: Engipedia Layers Manager

If this solved your issue, please Accept it as Solution help other forum users with similar issues to find answers easily.

Mirko Jurcevic

My blog: www.engipedia.com
Try my Revit add-ins: Autodesk App Store
Tags (2)
Message 6 of 14

This is helpful thank you 

Message 7 of 14
dm0144
in reply to: pasterski.k

@Mirko.Jurcevic 

Hello. I am trying to use the app but I can't locate the shared parameter file. By default, no shared parameter file is selected when creating label in the multi-category annotation tag.

How do I get the shared parameter file?

Message 8 of 14
Mirko.Jurcevic
in reply to: dm0144

Hi,

please read the articles about the tool here:

https://www.engipedia.com/engipedia-layers-manager-pro/

and here:

https://www.engipedia.com/revit-add-in-create-list-of-floor-wall-roof-or-ceiling-layers/

and you will see that you are looking at the wrong place.

Shared Parameters files that are used by the add-in are located in:

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\EngipediaLayersManager.bundle\Contents

If this solved your issue, please Accept it as Solution help other forum users with similar issues to find answers easily.

Mirko Jurcevic

Message 9 of 14
dm0144
in reply to: Mirko.Jurcevic

@Mirko.Jurcevic Hi! Is it possible to add parameter that displays the total width of all layers added together?

Message 10 of 14
Mirko.Jurcevic

Hi,

how do you mean?

You already have parameters in Revit which report total width of an element. For example "Width" in Walls, "Default Thickness" in Floors, "Thickness" in Roofs etc.

Mirko Jurcevic

Message 11 of 14
dm0144

@Mirko.Jurcevic 

How do I add or combine that width parameter in the multicategory tag for the add-on, which reads the individual layers and widths of the element?

Message 12 of 14
Mirko.Jurcevic

Unfortunately you can't do it in Multicategory tag.

You'll need to recreate the tag like Walls Tag, add Engipedia Shared parameters and wall Width parameter. Do the same for other tags for other categories.

Mirko Jurcevic

Message 13 of 14
dm0144

@Mirko.Jurcevic thanks for the reply!

I created a wall scheddule to read the layers and widths of the wall using the engipedia shared parameters (EN layers and EN widths).

Is it possible to calculate the total width of the individual layers instead of the wall width parameter, which in the schedule is displayed in separate column?

Message 14 of 14
Mirko.Jurcevic

Hi, thanks for trying the app!

To answer your question: unfortunately, no, this is multiline text parameter (string), not a number, therefore you cannot make a sum using Revit's calculate totals feature.

If you are using Engipedia Layers Manager PRO version however, you can export all layered structures to CVS or Excel and do whatever you want with it in Excel. It makes each layer go into separate row and you can do such calculations.

Have in mind that purely exporting schedule from Revit will not produce the same result.

Mirko Jurcevic

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report