Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get sheathing and siding of exterior walls to cover floor joists

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
rtalbott
7170 Views, 3 Replies

How to get sheathing and siding of exterior walls to cover floor joists

I am learning on Revit 8.1, which is fine until I get a new computer.

I can't seem to find the technique for getting the sheathing and siding of exterior walls to extend over the joists of that level's the floor either on level one or upper levels. (I'm using the residential template) It seems to work in the tutorial (no doubt with a different template). On the second floor level, I click yes to having the first floor exterior walls attach to the floor, but that doesn't do it. On the first floor, there are no exterior walls below, but there are foundation walls. In either case, sheathing and siding should cover the joists. If I offset the bottom of the walls the depth of the floor, it means a lot of clean up in the section detail. Can anyone tell me how to do this properly?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: rtalbott

On 2/17/2010 2:22 PM, rtalbott wrote:
> I am learning on Revit 8.1, which is fine until I get a new computer.
>
> I can't seem to find the technique for getting the sheathing and siding of exterior walls to extend over the joists of that level's the floor either on level one or upper levels. (I'm using the residential template) It seems to work in the tutorial (no doubt with a different template). On the second floor level, I click yes to having the first floor exterior walls attach to the floor, but that doesn't do it. On the first floor, there are no exterior walls below, but there are foundation walls. In either case, sheathing and siding should cover the joists. If I offset the bottom of the walls the depth of the floor, it means a lot of clean up in the section detail. Can anyone tell me how to do this properly?

When finishing the floor sketch:
You want to select "No" to the question of "Would you like walls that go
up to this floor's level to attach to its bottom?"

You then want to select "Yes" to the prompt of "The floor/roof overlaps
the highlighted wall(s). Would you like to join geometry and cut the
overlapping volume out of the wall(s)?".

After the fact:
Select the walls, detach all.
Use the "Join Geometry" tool to on each wall & slab connection.

--
Brian Winterscheidt
LWPB Architecture
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:22:23 -0800, rtalbott <> wrote:

>I am learning on Revit 8.1, which is fine until I get a new computer.
>
>I can't seem to find the technique for getting the sheathing and siding of exterior walls to extend over the joists of that level's the floor either on level one or upper levels. (I'm using the residential template) It seems to work in the tutorial (no doubt with a different template). On the second floor level, I click yes to having the first floor exterior walls attach to the floor, but that doesn't do it. On the first floor, there are no exterior walls below, but there are foundation walls. In either case, sheathing and siding should cover the joists. If I offset the bottom of the walls the depth of the floor, it means a lot of clean up in the section detail. Can anyone tell me how to do this properly?

I think the others are assuming you used a single wall to go up through both
floors, which is fine.

In addition to what others have said, you can extend the outer layers below the
floor line to cover the joists at the bottom of the wall (on top of the
foundation).

Edit the wall type structure so that the sheathing and siding can be extended.
Under "Modify Vertical Structure" hit Modify, select the bottom lower boundary
edge of the siding/sheathing layers and unlock them. Hit OK to exit editing the
assembly.

Then edit the wall's Instance properties and set the Base Extension Distance to
the negative distance to cover the gap.

Matt
matt@stachoni.com
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

unlock the skin in the wall definition- then in section- pull it down..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report