Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get a fence to follow topography?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
RudyBeuc
7976 Views, 13 Replies

How to get a fence to follow topography?

What is the preferred method for getting a chainlike fence to follow the contours on a topo object?

Have been researching this for some time today and I can't find a consensus.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
loboarch
in reply to: RudyBeuc

I created one without too much trouble with a curtain wall with the infill panels set to use a chain link "panel".  This gives me the material and the post pattern I need.

To get the top of the fence to follow the topography, I edited the profile of the curtain wall.  I used the line tool and set an offest in the options bar equal to my fence height.  Then from an elevation or section view which cuts the topography right at the fence line, I traced the topography.  Because you defined an offset the tracing action will create a top edge for the fence as you trace.  Unfortunatly you can't snap to the cut edge of the topography so it is kind of a "close counts" situation.

Fence_Topography.png

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 3 of 14
alan.quinn

See the attached file for two possibilities. Click on the families to see how I build them. The angled fence just has a angle parameter that you need to set to suit the fall of the land, and the short straight fence sections will just sit on the topo, like any other site family. Hope this helps and thanks for posting.
Message 4 of 14
alan.quinn
in reply to: loboarch

Sorry Jeff, did not click refresh before I loaded mine! Now we have more options.

Message 5 of 14
loboarch
in reply to: alan.quinn

@alan.quinn wrote:
See the attached file for two possibilities. Click on the families to see how I build them. The angled fence just has a angle parameter that you need to set to suit the fall of the land, and the short straight fence sections will just sit on the topo, like any other site family. Hope this helps and thanks for posting.

Your post is missing the attachments.  😞

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 6 of 14
ccollins

I think that Eagle Point's Land Cadd add-in for Revit can do this--actually conforms to the topopsurface using a Mass

for retaining walls and I supose you could create a fence as well.

Great if you have an extra $2-3 K sitting around for 1 seat!

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 7 of 14
alan.quinn
in reply to: loboarch

Hmmm. I wonder what happened. Rudy Beuc, in any event go here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11938886/Site%20Fence.rvt for the file.

Thanks,

Message 8 of 14
RudyBeuc
in reply to: alan.quinn

Thanks all for the suggestions. Looks like the curtain wall option wins out.

In ACA I'd create a fence by using a railing style and anchor it to the mass representing the site. I was kind of hoping there would be a similar solution in Revti.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

Message 9 of 14
MichelGKC

Another advantage of the curtain wall method is that you can create your gates with the curtain wall door template and have them appear in a door schedule.
Message 10 of 14
jlg_design

At Autodesk University in 2013, Marcello Sgambelluri did a class on hardscape following site topography. It was one of the most popular classes that year. I believe he includes a fence following the topo in the presentation. He uses very unusual techniques that are really quite remarkable.

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2013/revit-for-architects/ab3340#ch...

You may need to sign up with AU to watch the class.

Jeff

Message 11 of 14
RudyBeuc
in reply to: jlg_design

Ok that was interesting.  Thanks for the post.

BTW, I did end up using the curtain wall method on that project.

Rudy

Message 12 of 14
darylmast
in reply to: jlg_design

How do you access the entire class? This link is only the introduction to the class
Message 13 of 14
RudyBeuc
in reply to: darylmast

Um, I get t the whole class, it's just divided up into parts.

Please see the attached screenshot.

Message 14 of 14
darylmast

Thanks.  I just did not recognize the options available there.  I am able to watch it now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report