Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable online wiki help and use local help?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
revitnovice123
853 Views, 8 Replies

How to disable online wiki help and use local help?

How to diable the online help in revit 2013, and use the local help when required? at times I feel using the localy installed help file than the online one. is this possible without disconnecting internet?

Thankyou

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rosskirby
in reply to: revitnovice123

There is no "local" help with 2013.  It's the online version or nothing.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 9
revitnovice123
in reply to: rosskirby

Oops . Thats very sad. AutoCAD and other applications have this feature. Why this is not possible in revt Smiley Sad

Moreover, the help system is a messSmiley Mad. I want only structre & mep related help separately. Now it is all messed up with the s and m icons. too difficult to find structure specific organized help. 

Thanks for the reply though.

Message 4 of 9
loboarch
in reply to: rosskirby

@rosskirby wrote:

There is no "local" help with 2013.  It's the online version or nothing.

This is NOT true.  There is offline "local" help.  You can learn how to disable online help and force offiline help here:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2013/Help/00001-Revit_He0/0004-Introduc4/0017-User_Int17/0041...

(In the wikihelp ironically.)  Smiley Indifferent

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 5 of 9
rosskirby
in reply to: loboarch

I stand corrected, Jeff.  Sorry for the mistake.  It's been so long since I've accessed an offline help that I thought it was no longer possible.  Maybe I was thinking of the tutorials that used to come with Revit...

However, accessing the local help is a bit of a nuisance (either change your .ini file, a task unto itself, especially file for novice users, or manually open the help), and the local help never gets updated with new info or other special commentary/entries like the wiki help.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 6 of 9
revitnovice123
in reply to: loboarch

Oh my..Cant it be much simpler?. Just a small check box in options which enables local help or online help, similar to AutoCAD options? Plus a feature that will help to keep on updating the local help file? i dont thik its a tough task for the revit developers to do this.

Should I pull out my internet connection just to access offline help.Smiley Sad

Thankyou

Message 7 of 9

Since the online Wiki is not accessible is there another locaiton where this information is saved?

Message 8 of 9

Yes, it's kind of funny that when we need this information (which is exactly when our internet connection is not working), the instructions are... online! , not in our own software. I agree, maybe this should be a check mark (toggle) in the Options dialog box. Something such as "Type of help: Online / Offline (Please restart your computer for this changes to take effect)", simple; and then Revit would edit the Documentation part of my Revit.ini file adding the line " UseHelpServer=0".

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 9 of 9

I work for an Autodesk Reseller and Revit appears to be the only application that you can’t force the software to use the “Offline” help.  AutoCAD, Inventor, and Max can all be configured to use the “offline” help by default.  Revit does use the offline help but you have to wait for the “online” help to fail (10 seconds). 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report