Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create slightly angled walls?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ZanePaxton3471
6507 Views, 7 Replies

How to create slightly angled walls?

I am really hitting the wall on this (pun intended) and really need some help.

For very slight angles, Revit 2008 seems to INSIST that all walls be precisely orthographic in plan. I need to make some walls that are ever so alightly angled away from the cartesian (90 degree) grid. This is maybe 1/2" to 1" over 12' or so. It's a very small angle and Revit will not allow me to grab the corner and move just that end to the underlying plan that I imported. Lines, reference lines, reference planes all seem to follow this maddening restriction. Please not that I am working off of a survey that shows the existing building as non-orthographic so I must follow it. I'm not choosing this purgatory because I enjoy the frustration... I'm in a bit of a crunch so any quick insights and assistance are GREATLY appreciated.

Also I have tried creating the walls by picking the angle on the underlying plan, but as soon as I do a wall cleanup, it snaps the wall back to the cartesian 90 dree grid system and the slight angle is gone...

Is there something simple like the F8 command in ADT/AutoCAD to turn off the damned ortho constraint???
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
melarch
in reply to: ZanePaxton3471

It is best to use Reference Planes to align walls to for small angles as you are trying to create and lock them to the Ref Planes. Also, selecting the wall after placement will allow you to change the temporary angle dimension to any increment you desire. If Revit is snapping your wall back to an orthographic quadrant (i.e. 0, 90, 180 or 270) then pinning the Ref Plane and locking the wall to the Ref Plane will prevent this from occuring and keep the wall at the desired angle.

Mel Persin, AIA
AEC Technology Consultant
Technology to Visualize and Realize Solutions
MasterGraphics, Inc.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Once you have the angle fixed between walls, put a dimension in there and hit the lock on it to force an angular constraint between walls this will preven twall clean ups from overiding your angles.
Message 4 of 8

That sounds great.

I'm very new to Revit so I'm not immediately clear on what steps to take to accomplish what you are describing.

The reference planes seem to follow the same rules and I was not able to force the reference plane slighly off from pure ortho. How is that done step by step? I tried drawing a reference line between two points to snap the reference plane to, but the reference lines also will not snap to the slightly askew points.

How is the angle of the underlying (imported AutoADT) lines measured so that I can see the precise angle? Without that measurement I can't adjust the new wall angle.I noticed that the new wall's angle indicator is not popping up so that I can input a new angle and it doesn't appear as a parameter in the element properties.... so how and where do I input the angle to make that change?

I'm not familar with the locking procedure.

Like I said, I am starting from ground zero and knowing ACA2008 very well is more of a hindrance than help in many ways....

I am slightly past my cut and run point with a deadline so I would really appreciate help with the fine points! Thanks for your help!
Message 5 of 8
sbrown

When drawing the wall or the ref. plane typ 'SO' this will turn off snaps and let you draw whatever you want.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

I have also had good luck drawing a separate drafting line with an endpoint
at the desired wall endpoint. Then use SE (snap endpoint) to force the wall
to hit that rather than ortho. It may help to pin the wall once finally
located.

-MJ

wrote in message news:5797340@discussion.autodesk.com...
When drawing the wall or the ref. plane typ 'SO' this will turn off snaps
and let you draw whatever you want.
Message 7 of 8
Slkr16
in reply to: Anonymous

For anybody who stumbles across this thread like I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt9v8KBKOjA&feature=youtu.be

Message 8 of 8
LALEA949
in reply to: sbrown

HOW CAN I WRITE THE ANGLE WHEN DRAWING A DIAGONAL WALL?  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report