Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create plumb ends at sloped rafters or beams

39 REPLIES 39
Message 1 of 40
bt1138
3410 Views, 39 Replies

how to create plumb ends at sloped rafters or beams

Is there an easy way to create a plumb end to a sloped rafter(beam)? Rather than a square end, which seems to be the default behavior.

Or should I add, is this hard to do?

BT
39 REPLIES 39
Message 21 of 40
Robert_Grandmaison
in reply to: bt1138

> {quote:title=Alfredo_Medina wrote:}{quote}
> Can you please explain this method?
> Revit says : 1) First pick : select element to be cut OR host wall
> (I can't select the beam)
> ... then what?
Alas, the only explanation I have is that it's a bug??? 😉

I know the technique works GREAT with reference planes as the "cutting edge" (please excuse the AutoCADese) you just have to remember to NOT delete the reference plane. I have not ever been able to get it to work with a wall as a cutting edge- in section, plan or 3D use- even if the wall is a bearing wall. I'm attaching an elevation view, perhaps it helps some.
Message 22 of 40
Robert_Grandmaison

Here's the type of thing you can easily do with the opening trick on the face of the beam, just before clicking the magic green checkmark.
Message 23 of 40
Robert_Grandmaison

Finished "opening" at end of beam. Please people, for the sake of all that is pure, noble and good, don't EVER design/detail the end of a noble steel beam like this- it just embarasses the beam...so degrading...it's just not right.
Message 24 of 40
Alfredo_Medina

So, can we cut a beam to create a plumb end using a combination of reference plane plus Cut geometry, yes or no? By reading your reply, I understand that no; however, when I look at your image (BeamEndCut.jpg) it seems that yes, it can be done. How do you do it, then?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 25 of 40
Alfredo_Medina

Wow!

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 26 of 40
Robert_Grandmaison

Actually, that beam has a reference cut at one end and an "opening" cut at the other.

Oddly, it seems that you can do double "opening" cuts. as well...not sure why you'd want to do that, but if you cut it twice and then delete the second, deeper cut, you'll still find the original.
Message 27 of 40
Robert_Grandmaison

DANG IT, WHAT AM I DOING TO GET THESE DOUBLE POSTS?!?!?!?
Message 28 of 40
Robert_Grandmaison

> {quote:title=Alfredo_Medina wrote:}{quote}So, can we cut a beam to create a plumb end using a combination of reference plane plus Cut geometry, yes or no? Yes. Draw a reference plane where you want the vertical plumb cut to be and then use the Cut Geometry tool. Select the beam, then the plane (though I believe you can do it in reverse order too). Don't delete the plane, or your beam end returns!
Message 29 of 40
bt1138

Those sections and elevations did suck alright.

Ultimately the single-file structure with Revit solves so many issues, I just don't thank ADT could ever be made to work as well as Revit does. Mostly I just miss a lot of the small things from ADT, little commands, the many ways to do lots of little things. Like this beam thing.

Now, The suggestion to cut it with a reference plane does work, fast and easy. If you just do the cut operation on more than one beam at a time...

In the meantime, looks like opening is the way: build one and then copy them out.
Message 30 of 40
Robert_Grandmaison

> {quote:title=bt1138 wrote:}{quote}
> In the meantime, looks like opening is the way: build one and then copy them out. I want an intelligent function similar to MatchProp but with brains. I want a tool called "Do it to this one too"...where you could take a modifier of some sort and apply it to another instance of the same family type, or even across families. The tool could make it's attempt and say "Did I do it right?" and you could accept or reject or modify the attempt by the tool and teach it as it goes along.
Message 31 of 40
Alfredo_Medina

I can't do it.

Message 32 of 40
Robert_Grandmaison

I am sad for you. 😞
Message 33 of 40
Alfredo_Medina

Yes, what am I doing differently? What is the sequence?

Message 34 of 40
Robert_Grandmaison

Umm..read above! 😉

Why don't you accept my invitation to Messenger, and if you use it, we can chat realtime and I can walk you through the steps and figure out why yours isn't working as it should.
Message 35 of 40
Alfredo_Medina

oki-doki

Message 36 of 40
Robert_Grandmaison

Alas, as we have discovered, the ref plane cut technique only works in 2011 and not in 2010. 😞
It was great chatting with you though- thanks for that! I guess you're going to have to just stop using 2010 entirely. 😉
Message 37 of 40
Alfredo_Medina

Conclusion: this is a feature of Revit Arch 2011. That is why it wasn't working for me. I was testing it in Revit Arch. 2010.

Message 38 of 40
Anonymous

Yes, it was one of the Revit Structural tools that got added to Revit Arch
in 2011

"Alfredo_Medina" wrote in message news:6380188@discussion.autodesk.com...
Conclusion: this is a feature of Revit Arch 2011. That is why it wasn't
working for me. I was testing it in Revit Arch. 2010.
Message 39 of 40
Robert_Grandmaison

That explains it Alfredo. I use mostly Revit Structure and have since 2009...going back I can see that the beam cut ability by a reference plane goes back at least as far as Revit Structure 2009. I sure didnt' seem right when you couldn't do it in 2010. I wonder why it took at least two releases for this obvious need to be included in Architecture?

See, I told you I wasn't an expert!!! 😉
Message 40 of 40

I don't know if this applies to 2010 but in 2021, the beams can be cut with a grid line or reference plane.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report