Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create plumb ends at sloped rafters or beams

39 REPLIES 39
Message 1 of 40
bt1138
3570 Views, 39 Replies

how to create plumb ends at sloped rafters or beams

Is there an easy way to create a plumb end to a sloped rafter(beam)? Rather than a square end, which seems to be the default behavior.

Or should I add, is this hard to do?

BT
39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40
Robert_Grandmaison
in reply to: bt1138

You can use the Opening By Face tool to create whatever end you want on beams/rafters. It may seen odd to think of it as an "opening" since it's at the end of a beam, but it works great.
Message 3 of 40
bt1138

Well that certainly qualifies as the 'easy way'. And it actually works - I would never have thought to try that command. However do people figure that kind of 'feature' out?!

Only issue is that you need to apply to each rafter, right? Is there a way to globally add a rafter cut tail/ or to add this kind of thing to a group of beams all at once?

thanks in advance.
BT
Message 4 of 40
Robert_Grandmaison

What- you don't like the array tool?!?!?!?! 😉 You've probably noticed that you can then select the beam end cut and move/nudge it as necessary (or delete it).

Ok, how about the Cope beam end tool and hiding the beam you used to cut the beam ends plub with???
Message 5 of 40
Alfredo_Medina

Bob

Nice and cool trick. No need to make voids. Never thought about using openings in face to make a cut at the end of a beam, but yes, why not? Actually, this tool is simple and yet powerful. It doesn't have properties, such as depth or anything, it just cuts, boom, done. Good.

Alfredo

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 40
vector2

Robert-

how are you coming along with picking surfaces
on imported DWG wireframe models to build
a revit model?
Message 7 of 40
Robert_Grandmaison

And you can easily edit the opening profile in the usual edit sketch way - or just move it by selecting the beam end.

It's actaully a great way of doing complicated ogee curves, corbeling and such on beam ends.
Message 8 of 40
Robert_Grandmaison

Vector2,

Haven't had a chance yet to look into it further with your model. I want to- but sadly (or happily depending on your perspective, happily) I was handed three projects to work on this weekend. So, my already short time (I teach on Saturdays) is cut now even shorter. 😞
Message 9 of 40
Alfredo_Medina

Yes, very interesting. However, I still think that the creation of the structure of a roof in Revit could be enhanced with more tools in the future. What do you think?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 10 of 40
vector2

well i only ask that because we have so
many people who like to read and talk
about revit but when it comes to actually
putting something they talk about into
action- they seem to fall short.. but i can
understand your busy schedule..
Message 11 of 40
bt1138

Thanks Robert, those are both good suggestions!?!?!?!?!. Arrays are good and I did fool around with the cope tool a bit.

I was hoping that someone was going to tell how to edit the beam family so that it would have some kind of trick plumb end that would keep the beam end plumb as the rafter slope increased and decreased, so the behavior could be built into the beam. Is there any way to do that with Revit?
Message 12 of 40
bt1138

I do agree. I hate to bring up old ADT, but you miss being to right-clicking on a beam and have all of the built in trim/miter commands right out of the box.

In fact, numerous right-click / context-sensitive object edits was one of the really nice fast ways to do things in old ADT. sniff.
Message 13 of 40
Robert_Grandmaison

Oh yes Alfredo, I do think there is plenty of room for improvement in many ways with Revit and I hope they never stop listening to new ideas and incorporating good ones into the workflow.

Here's one that I would love to see: the ability to not have to re-enter Edit Sketch mode to make obvious changes to things like beam systems. I'd love to see a type of dynamic grip appear AFTER you've created some types of repeating objects that would allow you to simply grip stretch out the array on such systems- and continue the array in the same manner- without having to go into Edit Sketch/Footprint/Boundary.

Also, I think that it would be wonderful if I could CTRL click atop the edge of a wall and have access to subobject level grips for edges, vertices and surfaces similarly to how it works while working in ACA with solids. It would eliminate the need to have to enter that sketch mode as much as we otherwise have to do.

I guess I just don't like sketch mode much huh? 😉
Message 14 of 40
Robert_Grandmaison

However, OP, the even easier way to cut a beam if is to create a reference plane at the location you want the plumb cut to appear. Then use the CUT GEOMETRY tool. Sadly you must pick each beam separately and can't have it operate on the beam system (even with the tab key trick). But, it's fast enough and you don't have to enter sketch mode to use the opening trick.
Message 15 of 40
Alfredo_Medina

ADT was sooo good for some things, it's a shame that sections and elevations never made it into this century. Otherwise, it was, is, a wonderful tool.

Message 16 of 40
vector2

weeping over the past does not help anything..

lol
Message 17 of 40
Robert_Grandmaison

I hope you remember your own words when the native UI is no longer available and supported in the product. 😉
Message 18 of 40
Alfredo_Medina

Bob,

I wonder if in Revit structure there are some more automated methods to create the structure of a roof. In Revit Architecture I have beams, beam systems, etc, but there are some issues that don't seem so Revit, such as beams that don't connect at ends, don't cut, and some other issues... This area of the program needs improvement.

Alfredo

Message 19 of 40
vector2

> {quote:title=Robert_Grandmaison wrote:}{quote}
> I hope you remember your own words when the native UI
>is no longer available and supported in the product. 😉

people who make predictions are generally wrong..

the support help desk moved away from the native
UI a long time ago to help the newbies push jumbo
sized buttons on the training UI..
Message 20 of 40
Alfredo_Medina

Bob wrote:

>the even easier way to cut a beam if is to create a reference plane at the location you want the plumb cut to appear. Then use the CUT GEOMETRY tool.

Can you please explain this method?
Revit says : 1) First pick : select element to be cut OR host wall
(I can't select the beam)
... then what?

Alfredo

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report