Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create, move, copy & center things efficiently.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
rtalbott
1587 Views, 3 Replies

How to create, move, copy & center things efficiently.

Hello experts, and thanks in advance for any help. (I'm self-teaching in Revit 8.1)

In moving model elements in my current BIM software, ALLPLAN, my thinking goes like this: (in plan) Grab an element (e.g. window muntin) at the midpoint (a right click interrupt allows me to select the diagonal corners, putting the cursor in the center of the muntin), and place it at the midpoint of the window frame (a right click interrupt allows me to select the diagonal corners of the frame, placing the muntin in the center). Creating, copying, and mirroring elements in the right position works in the same way, the right-click interrupt being the key ingredient.

I'm trying to find equivalent procedures in Revit. Specifically, I'm trying to center elements. So far, the best procedure I have found is to first draw reference planes at each extreme and another one somewhere between, then dimension all of them using the EQ constraint to center the middle one, then dimension the extreme ref planes, then create the elements based on the ref planes.

It seems very labor intensive. I'm thinking I might be missing some simple tricks for getting elements sized correctly and positioned correctly, specifically at midpoints, without having to go back and modify dimensions.

Any good hints out there? ... or perhaps tutorials or videos where the presenter does basic things like this with the minimum of necessary clicks?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: rtalbott

Try the Align command. (Modify tab > Align) It finds the middle axis, horizontal and vertical, of most objects. First you select one of those axis as a reference, then you select an edge of the object which you want to align to that axis.

Alfredo Medina
info@planta1.com

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 4
rtalbott

Okay, I guess it helps to know that you rely on the midpoint signal and the align tool, so thanks for that. Your answer indicates to me that my question might make no sense to Revit users because the approach and syntax are entirely different. Your align tool suggestion didn't solve my problem, but it prompted me to explore the offset tool, which I had not bothered with until now.

My suspicion is that in Revit it is normal to rely on temporary lines such as reference planes, grid lines, reference lines, and who knows what other crutches to place building components accurately. It feels rather like the unfortunate necessity in concrete construction of first needing to build forms which are later discarded. Pity.

Perhaps there are advantages to doing it this way that I am still unaware of, but so far, many simple tasks seem to require workarounds. I hope I'm missing some basic tricks.
Message 4 of 4
Alfredo_Medina

Not so true that you need temporary lines. You can develop your model without using temporary lines that need to be deleted later, as you said. As you gain more practice and learn more tools, you'll see that you don't need any temporary lines to place objects and build your model.

Alfredo Medina
info@planta1.com

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report