Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change the numerical value of an dimension?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
mingebartek
69608 Views, 13 Replies

How to change the numerical value of an dimension?

Hello everybody!

I'm new to this forum. I came here to ask for your help.

I was wandering while doing a project of some construction elements if there is any way in Revit that I can change the numerical value of an dimension not with the text but with different value ? and at the same time I don't want Revit to rescale my elements. Something like in AutoCAD that I can type in any number I want and Revit won't rescale i or change the distace between them.

I know that I could simply use AutoCAD instead of Revit but I find it easier in general  and I really want to learn it since I'm a student. 

Thanks for your help!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Revit is different. You can replace a dimension value with text, but you cannot really fudge a dimension value to show a different numeric value. You could enter a value that contains numbers and text, such as "This is 2 feet 2 inches" , but in general, that is very unusual in Revit.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 14

Alfredo is right....Revit has an other philosophy than Autocad....and this will be unfair for the program...

But , anyway ....a trick exists ...I read it once in an article, I don't remember exactly whose it belongs...but I put it down in a notebook .

Here are the steps :

• Double click Dimension Value
  • Select : Replace with Text option
  • Right click in the text field 
  • Select : INSERT UNICODE CONTROL CHARACTER
  • Pick : US UNIT SEPARATOR (Segment Separator)
  • Type a new dimension in the text box and click OK

and it does work.....

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 4 of 14

Thanks guys for help! 

Message 5 of 14

this US or unicode solution is somehow working on revit

but if you try to export on autocad,.

ok you will not noticed because its ok..

and then when you try to Plot the drawing into

PDF there is a weird LINE " | "  shown on the value

ex  123456|

Message 6 of 14

Thanks for the help

Message 7 of 14
dadatomiwa
in reply to: mingebartek

Thanks man... Was helpful
Message 8 of 14

Haha yes!

Message 9 of 14
ssolomonXR9QR

That solution is totally nuts and obscure but it DOES actually WORK! Smiley Happy

@mingebartek wrote:

Hello everybody!

I'm new to this forum. I came here to ask for your help.

I was wandering while doing a project of some construction elements if there is any way in Revit that I can change the numerical value of an dimension not with the text but with different value ? and at the same time I don't want Revit to rescale my elements. Something like in AutoCAD that I can type in any number I want and Revit won't rescale i or change the distace between them.

I know that I could simply use AutoCAD instead of Revit but I find it easier in general  and I really want to learn it since I'm a student. 

Thanks for your help!

Message 10 of 14

you're a god for this

Message 11 of 14

thanks it works

Message 12 of 14
justinTQ4LK

Is there a way to instead reduce the accuracy of the dimension reading? Basically like showing an answer to fewer decimal places? This would help show dimensions in areas where there may not be room to read very specific dimensions very close together.

Message 13 of 14
Lachlan-JWP
in reply to: justinTQ4LK

You can adjust the rounding properties in the dimension settings.

Dimension unit rounding.png

Message 14 of 14

@constantin.stroescu That's brilliant, thanks for providing the solution

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report