Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Family Category affect behavior in Project Environment

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
472 Views, 4 Replies

How does Family Category affect behavior in Project Environment

Hello moderators,

Is there a document that explains the differences in how choosing one Family Category over another may affect the function, etc. of the Loadable Family when inserted into a Project?

For instance, a Generic Model will be respectful of the Cut Plane of an Extrusion whereas a Specialty Equipment solid will not.  Are there more differences between these two Categories?

Is there a guide that elaborates on this topic for comparing Family Categories and the differences between them?

I've wanted to better understand this topic for a long time.

Scott

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
AJA14
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Well, you might want to access the VV dialog. In there you can directly see which categories can be cut and which can't. (If they are greyed out). You will also find some information on wikihelp.

Regards,

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 3 of 5
rosskirby

These family categories are cuttable, and these are not.

Generally, the rule of thumb is that if it's something that is purchased as a unit (i.e. light fixture, toilet, cubicle, etc.), then it's non-cuttable, because you aren't going to be detailing it.  If it's something you are going to be generating details from, then it's probably cuttable.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: rosskirby

This is helpful food for thought.  Thanks for the links to the sections in debate.  I always appreciate learning one more thing about Revit, which is precisely why I come here to post questions.

Scott

Message 5 of 5
rosskirby

Glad I could help.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report