Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find a text type?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
SRobbins
2739 Views, 13 Replies

How do I find a text type?

I have a text type that is not being purged out so it must be in use some
place in the project, how do I find it?

--
Scott Robbins
TRO/The Ritchie Organization
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: SRobbins

Add some text using the style you don't want anymore. Select it and Right Click, choose Select All Instances. Then change the type to the one you want it to be.

Now you'll be able to purge the other style.
Message 3 of 14
SRobbins

Hey Steve,

Select all instances will not work. I'm guessing that its because the index
was made in a Legends View. Thanks though.

wrote in message news:5224590@discussion.autodesk.com...
Add some text using the style you don't want anymore. Select it and Right
Click, choose Select All Instances. Then change the type to the one you
want it to be.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

Scott,

Check to make sure that the font is not part an imported family or other.
Something similar to the block instance in autocad. Where a block contained
the text style. How about dimensions?

Bob

wrote in message news:5225559@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hey Steve,

Select all instances will not work. I'm guessing that its because the index
was made in a Legends View. Thanks though.

wrote in message news:5224590@discussion.autodesk.com...
Add some text using the style you don't want anymore. Select it and Right
Click, choose Select All Instances. Then change the type to the one you
want it to be.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that behavior with legends before. It should work honestly. I'll let support know. If the text style is in legends try swapping them all out in the legend views, a little tedious.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

Dimensions do not use text styles, you assign a font so they shouldn't affect it. It shouldn't be possible that a family is "locking" it in because a family uses a label style not a text style and text within a family does not appear in the project environment. Fwiw, I've not had a family prevent the removal of text styles in the past.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

How about a sheet that is attached which does use text

wrote in message news:5227127@discussion.autodesk.com...
Interesting, I hadn't noticed that behavior with legends before. It should
work honestly. I'll let support know. If the text style is in legends try
swapping them all out in the legend views, a little tedious.
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

No because Revit does not add the text style used in the titleblock to the project. It doesn't get displayed as an eligible text style to place nor does it appear in the list of styles when you use Purge Unused.
Message 9 of 14
asWAPL9

@asWAPL9 - this post has been edited due to Community Rules & Etiquette violation.

i cannot believe that it is 2023 and this problem is still not solved. Autodesk. it has been 17 years. what the actual heck?

Message 10 of 14
billingsjBPZZD

I ran across the same issue. My work around was to:

I pcked a text type that I made and knew I could purge and could "Select All Instances" for (from trial and error). Then I took a screen shot the text type's parameter values.

Next I edited the text type I could not purge to have the same parameters values as the one I took a screenshot of. 

Then I "Selected All Instances" for the text type I originally picked and screenshot. I changed them all to be the text type I could not purge. I then purged the original text type.

Finally I renamed the unpurgeable text type to the name of the original text type I just purged.  

I don't see that unwanted text type name in my properties list anymore and everything is what it was before. Just somewhere in the project that I couldn't see or find anyways has some text that changed parameter values.

Message 11 of 14
RSomppi1
in reply to: asWAPL9

@asWAPL9 wrote:

i cannot believe that it is 2023 and this problem is still not solved. Autodesk. it has been 17 years.

It's been solved many times by users managing their content properly. 

Message 12 of 14
hmunsell
in reply to: Anonymous

Dimensions don't use Text Styles, but Schedules do. Check the Schedules in your model and any View Templates for schedules.

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
billingsjBPZZD
in reply to: hmunsell

Nice! One of the two Text Styles I could not find using "Select All Instances" was indeed in a Schedule Template. There is still one more I cannot find to purge. I've looked at every View, Legend, Schedule, Schedule Template and Sheet. Any other ideas? Thanks

Message 14 of 14

@hmunsell 

I figured out my problem.  At some point while developing my Project Template I renamed the Text Type "Schedule Default" to something else.  That something else happens to be the Text Type I can't Purge. I tried and I can't change the Text Type Revit defaults to when you first start a schedule. Thanks for leading me in the right direction.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report